THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
The_Axe_Emperor
pinsman
Moose Stuff For Money...
7 posters

Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career Empty Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 pm

About how prepared he is for his fight with Schaub:

”I am in excellent condition. I’ve never been in such good condition. I think I’ve reached the peak. Six weeks of bloody sparring we did. I had three great heavyweights who were lined up changing every minute. It was a torment to endure them.”

About how he sees the fight going:

”It is impossible to predict anything. It all depends on what Schaub will do. I think Schaub will try to take it to the ground. My stand-up is better than his and I’m physically stronger. I expect a long, hard fight.”

About his plans moving forward:

”To continue fighting, we need to win both of the last two fights on my contract. If I do not get past Schaub, it would not be fair to continue. If I lose to Schaub, I will have to think long and hard about whether I will fight again or whether it will be my last fight. It would be time to move on, admit that the blade is dull for me and how my life has changed. If I win this fight and my next fight and extend the contract, the third fight will be qualifying for a title shot. Mirko difference in PRIDE and UFC

About why his performance against Frank Mir was less than stellar:

”I could not train much – because I broke my orbital bone. I expected that Mir would attack, but he was passive. I am sorry that the fight took place in a manner in which the fans were not pleased. I apologize to all those who were left disappointed by it.”

About why, mentally, things have changed for him as a fighter:

”I am now a father of two children. I have had five operations. I experienced a lot. I was always in good physical shape, but there is always the subconscious that you can not control. You can figure out that the issue is probably the fear of injury, but it’s not fair to the fans when you hold back because of a mental issue like that.”

About whom he gives the edge to in the Shogun-Jones fight:

”I would even dare to give the edge to Jon Jones in that fight. He’s hungry, young and very explosive. I’ll Cheer for the Shogun, as he was my colleague from PRIDE, but Jones has a better chance and could win.”

About whether or not he would consider dropping to light heavyweight:

”I’m not sure if they would license a fighter with one leg. I would have to cut off my leg to lose 13 pounds. My ideal weight is 102 or 103 kilograms.”

About Fedor and the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix:

“Fedor’ for me always has been and always will be the greatest fighter of all time in this sport. Antonio Silva had an advantage in his size and with his long arms. The man was hard up, hungry for victory, which is no surprise. But the Strikeforce Grand Prix is diluted. They should have all the heavyweights to fight in one place and do the quarter-finals. Unfortunately, with the unfortunate defeat of Fedor it will still dilute it further.”

About UFC president Dana White:

“Dana is a top manager who has done a superb job with the UFC. I do not approve of the way he works because the UFC too often revolves around him and he’s often in conflict with everyone. He also has a very rough way of talking about Fedor. I understand that White was exasperated because he refused to sign with the UFC, but he is to disrespectful with the words he uses about Fedor. He has no right to talk about Fedor like that. No one does. I’m sure dana had his five minutes after he lost to Werdum — a fighter ufc basicly kicked out. He is an extremely intelligent man, and the UFC know why it works having him as their president.”

About fighting in a cage as opposed to a ring:

”Even I have not adapted to the cage. I do not like fighting in a cage. I find the wire disgusting, but I have to respect the rules. The ring will always be my favorite. It has a sporty feel to it. A cage is barbaric and animalistic.”

About whether or not there is a PED problem in MMA:

“Many fighters take hormones for growth, I’m sure of it. That’s the stuff that can’t be detected in urine tests. In Japan there were no tests. They did some just for the sake of it, but it was an, “I swear I did it,” kind of thing. The contract was fighter’s word. Guys could easily take someone else’s urine and give it to the tester. I’m not even convinced that they even sent the urine to test at the end at all.”

About who he thinks are obvious culprits:

“Overeem used something for sure and so did Lesnar. They didn’t get that big from eating potatoes.”
    http://www.cagepotato.com/cro-cop-talks-dana-white-steroid-users-and-the-possible-end-of-his-career-during-live-video-chat-on-croatian-website-last-night/
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career Empty Re: Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career

Post  pinsman Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm

I love his humour he's a great ambassador for the MMA world! He speaks his mind directly and isn't afraid to discuss his boss in a negative way, really like the way he talked about Fedor lot's of respect there! He speaks in a frank way about himself too, I don't think he's ever adapted properly to the cage ether and I think for a guy who is only 38 and looking at the end of his career he knows his mind isn't on it anymore... Fair play to him I hope he wins his next two fights and goes out gracefully he will always be a legend of the sport!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career Empty Re: Cro Cop Talks Dana White, Steroid Users and the Possible End of His Career

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 pm

pinsman he's only 36.

He is a great role model, but the years (and wars) have clearly not been kind to him, from his deteriorating speed to his twitches he seems to have developed.

He'll always be a legend and win or lose next Saturday the memories he's left us will be fondly remembered.

I'm still adamant he'll blow through Schaub though (looks at avatar) Twisted Evil
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 pm

This is true mate, I pray every night by my bed side for just one more left footed volley! Would be nice for him to get one in the UFC... I was looking at his page on the UFC website when the hell did he get that gnarlly scar on his forehead?

The man is a legend and no one here or anywhere can say different! He has the best high light reel on youtube by far!
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I BELIEVE IN MIRKO!!!!!!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:32 pm

wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:19 pm

He looks in good shape. However, for this fight he's gonna need to bring it. And all of it. I dont think Schaub is gonna wanna let this get to a decision.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

im glad to hear from his sparring partner that he hasnt seen Mirko so emotional in training until now...back in PRIDE he wanted it alot more and it showed. he was a demon...

(the best video) Very Happy
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Explains his problems honestly in that video IMO.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 pm

That was a sick highlight video chesty, good find.

He really was one of the most entertaining, unrelenting and skillful fighters to have ever taken part in the sport. Definitely one of my hero's.
    The interview was interesting. Mixed emotions certainly. Do you think he is fighting more out of necessity now rather than wanting to? Could he retire on his laurels do you think? Does he have any lines of business or anything else he could fall back on now? It sounds more and more like his drive and desire is diminishing. Which is upsetting.
    The fight with Schaub, I think, will only go one way - To the "hungry lion".
    Although I'm begging to be proved wrong.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Brendan Schaub: 'We Have the Blueprint for Success Right Now'

Brendan “The Hybrid” Schaub (7-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) will face the toughest test of his career when he takes on Mirko Cro Cop (27-8-2, 1 NC, 4-4 UFC) live on pay-per-view.

Schaub recently spoke with Bleacher Report about his thoughts on facing Cro Cop and his overall improvement as a mixed martial artist.

“I was pumped and didn’t know what to do. I took my shirt off and ran around the gym frantically,” said Schaub, jokingly. “No, it’s a huge honor and a great opportunity. It’s rare in this sport that you get to fight legends, and Cro Cop is one of the few legends still in the sport fighting today. It’s just a great opportunity for me.”

The Ultimate Fighter 10 finalist is currently on a three-fight win streak that saw him defeat two out of three opponents by way of knockout, and “The Hybrid” feels he has found the blueprint for success.

“My life does not suck,” said Schaub. “Getting up and being able to do what you love every day. Being successful at it just shows me that when I go out and beat guys like Gabriel Gonzaga and the Cro Cops that I’m doing something right, so it makes it easier to definitely get through these camps knowing that we have the blueprint for success right now.”

The camps Schaub speaks of are the ones he has spent with his coaches and teammates at Grudge Training Center, and with a who’s who list of training partners, it is no secret why he continues to skyrocket up the heavyweight division.

“To show what kind of camp I have right now—my rounds today, I did five rounds with Shane Carwin, Todd Duffee, Nate Marquardt, Ovince St. Preux and Georges St. Pierre. So, pretty tough rounds,” said Schaub, who went 3-0 in 2010. “I just think, overall, my whole game has improved and I’m working on everything my wrestling, jiu-jitsu, boxing, and with the passion I have for this sport, I’m getting better quickly.”

A true passion for his craft and assistance from the sport’s elite has helped lead Schaub to success throughout his burgeoning career and he expects no different when he steps inside the Octagon against Mirko Cro Cop.

“I’ve kind of been around MMA royalty since day one when I got into this. Literally, the first day I walked into the gym, Shane only had two fights and Nate Marquardt was helping out, so I kind of had Shane Carwin and Nate Marquardt take me under their wing and two weeks after that I was down at Greg Jackson’s,” Schaub said. “So, it’s all I know. They breed success, so I expect to be successful and it’s really helped me out along the way and I definitely expect a new me and a different me come March 19.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/636471-ufc-128s-brendan-schaub-we-have-the-blueprint-for-success-right-now

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 5:39 am