THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+14
ChelseaQuinsfan
Once Mohawked Pete
Sheldan
the_king
Cowboys From Hell
JStans1985
WAR FEDOR
pinsman
manschesthair_utd
Sly Uses
superman_punch
Mryzyz
The_Axe_Emperor
rudeboyben84
18 posters

Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT? Empty Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT?

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT? Silva_fedor

Both men are now in their Mid 30's and they have been the top P4p fighters for many years now. How close to becoming the greatest of all time is Anderson? And what could anyone see him surpassing Fedor before both retire?

Right now Fedor has 3 more win and 1 less loss.

Anderson has faced the better competition as Fedor has a slightly more padded record.

Anderson
    1.Mach
    2.Newton
    3.Horn
    4.Franklin
    5.Marquardt
    6.Franklin
    7.Hendo
    8.Griffin
    9.Maia
    10.Sonnen
    11.Belfort

Fedor
    1.Arona
    2.Babalu
    3.Nog
    4.Coleman
    5.Randleman
    6.Nog
    7.Crocop
    8.Coleman
    9.Sylvia
    10.Arlvoski

(you could stretch Fedor's to Rogers, or Hunt or whoever but then again you could include Cote, Leites etc for Anderson)

Fedor had a 28 fight unbeaten streak while Andersons was only half that at 14. Anderson has defended the title 8 times (9 if you wanna count the Luter fight)

I honestly on reflection think they are neck and neck now, Another fight or two and it might be that Anderson will overtake him as the GOAT. Whats peoples thoughts on how the two stack up legacy wise after Fedor's latest loss?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT? Empty Re: Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT?

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

It's definitely a distinct possibility.

Even though Anderson has been absolutely dominated on more than one occasion, and Fedor has only recently been dominated, the level of competition is something that will always play on Fedor's record Sad

Right now, i'd still have Fedor no.1, but Anderson isn't far behind, and he doesn't seem to be slowing down either.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT? Empty Re: Will Anderson steal Fedor's crown as the GOAT?

Post  Mryzyz Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:40 pm

They're both about the same size...

Fedor: Top Heavyweight for 7 years, 2 defeats
    Anderson: Top Middleweight for 4 years, 4 defeats
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Well Anderson will continue to face top opposition so he has the potential to overtake fedor in my opinion. Just add GSP to that list and he's the king.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Mryzyz wrote:They're both about the same size...

Fedor: Top Heavyweight for 7 years, 2 defeats
    Anderson: Top Middleweight for 4 years, 4 defeats
    thats why I think Fedor>Anderson

but it depends on what judging criteria people use
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I don't agree that there both the same size I wouldn't have thought Anderson cuts a ridiculous amount to make 185 and does it with ease.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Fedor has always been 230, I wouldnt be supprised if he had been a little heavier, Anderson has weighed 168lbs before, so to give Fedor the nod because he fights at Hw makes no sence to me.

I think Fedor is a little ahead but right now but I literally see one or two more defences for Anderson and he surpasses Fedor.

Anderson weakness is his Wrestling, Fedors weakness is his lack of Physicality and part of that is being fat, hence fighting a weight class above what he should.

Fedor is a natural 205er
    Anderson is a natural 185er

I think they are a weight class apart naturally, but I wouldnt read too much into size, was Evans a better Lhw champ than Forrest because he is 25-30lbs smaller? I dont think so, he likes to have more energy from not cutting weight.

GSP might well surpass them both, his career certainly seems to be panning out that way.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm

he reaches 225-232 lbs inbetween fights.

anyways Fedor has a better resume and whilst you could say that he has a slightly padded record, Anderson has deliberatley cut weight in order to fight the toughest guys for his entire career.

When comparing skills Fedor is clearly ahead because he CAN DO IT ALL.
    Anderson doesnt really have a great submission game compared to Fedor and his takedowns are not existant.

Fear comes up again when talking about Anderson, since he is not confident in himself to attack Maia or Leites on the ground even when they are beaten up a bit.
    In addition he was beaten twice by cans.....and is a total prick.

Fedor could conceivably be surpassed one day, but it wont be anderson who does it, or gsp.

like i said in another thread. Fedor is the only real MMA fighter ever.

edit: ben., fedor fought at -100 kg (-220 lb) in judo, aswell as openweight.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Some guy on Sherdog with a good point wrote:Fedor will always be the gold standard of fighters.

When he was in his prime, he could strike with Cro Cop, grapple with Big Nog, and beat the dog shit out of everyone.

So, he's lost a step and can no longer hang with the top 5? That is after 10 years and one epic 28 fight unbeaten streak. When someone else duplicates that, give me a shout. Until then, shut the fuck up.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I see Cain possibly taking it from both of them... I'd love to see Silva fight at light heavy now and have a run at the title, if he was to do that he would be the all time great in my eyes!
    WAR FEDOR
    WAR FEDOR
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  WAR FEDOR Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:56 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Some guy on Sherdog with a good point wrote:Fedor will always be the gold standard of fighters.

When he was in his prime, he could strike with Cro Cop, grapple with Big Nog, and beat the dog shit out of everyone.

So, he's lost a step and can no longer hang with the top 5? That is after 10 years and one epic 28 fight unbeaten streak. When someone else duplicates that, give me a shout. Until then, shut the fuck up.

Couldn't have put it better myself
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:36 am

Reading through this post, every time I read someone's case on who is the better fighter it almost changes my mind! I think it's very close to call and comes down purely to a matter of opinion.

I personally would find it hard to accept that Fedor is not the greatest of all time, I kinda wish he'd retired before the Werdum fight now and then I don't think anyone would question it!

Having said that, I can't help but watch Silva in awe especially with some of his knockouts like Forrest and Belfort.

We can all play with figures, such as saying that both fighters have only been stopped twice.

Also, why is everyone saying that Fedor only has 2 losses, he has 3! I know it was a doctor stoppage and that was to do with the ruling and nowadays may not have been stopped, but at the end of the day a loss is a loss regardless of peoples opinions nowadays
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 am

To be frank I think Anderson's record is far more padded than Fedor's Anderson seems to have been handed favourable fights in the UFC from BJJ guys with little striking to mediocre brawlers The only real challenge he had was Chael who not many believed he would do what he did to Anderson but he did not forgetting he is a huge MW too.

Yet Fedor has fought every type of fighter and has not really had any size advantage in a fight (Lindland excluding) which is far more impressive for me.

The only active fighter I think comes close is GSP who has one of the best resumes in MMA in one of the strongest divisions in MMA his fight with Shields coming up he is yet again fighting another Top 10 P4P fighter.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 pm

GSP is great but he doesn't deliver the excitement that Anderson and Fedor do every time they fight. I personally get super excited every time I see Anderson and Fedor like butterfly's in my stomach! I don't really get that with GSP, he's not a knock out artist and as of late purely relys on his wrestling... not taking anything away from him though he's a great fighter that will go down as one of the best...

As I said before I think Cain will be the one to push this discussion come a few more fights and hopefully a few defences, I think it would be great for the UFC HW division if he could hold onto the title for a while now, as it's chopped and changed so much recently.

...Would love to see the UFC do some open weight fights too, Anderson fighting a decent HW or Shogun fighting a weight above, like Fedor does in pritty much every fight lol!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:35 pm

JStans1985 wrote:Reading through this post, every time I read someone's case on who is the better fighter it almost changes my mind! I think it's very close to call and comes down purely to a matter of opinion.

I personally would find it hard to accept that Fedor is not the greatest of all time, I kinda wish he'd retired before the Werdum fight now and then I don't think anyone would question it!

Having said that, I can't help but watch Silva in awe especially with some of his knockouts like Forrest and Belfort.

We can all play with figures, such as saying that both fighters have only been stopped twice.

Also, why is everyone saying that Fedor only has 2 losses, he has 3! I know it was a doctor stoppage and that was to do with the ruling and nowadays may not have been stopped, but at the end of the day a loss is a loss regardless of peoples opinions nowadays

It was a cut from an illegal strike. If we apply the same ruling Fedor would have another loss against Nogueira.
    Since both were accidental illegal strikes, they should BOTH be no contest.
    This is not comparable to Anderson's DQ loss, which (while he may not have been "beaten") is a ruling nobody can argue with, the flagrantly broke the rules whether you like that ruleset or not.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Fedor is a much more exciting fighter than Anderson and its not even debatable.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm

i think as it stands now fedor tops silva but another loss for fedor and more top opposition wins for silva he will take the accolade, i hope not though as i dont like silva.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

i think as it stands now fedor tops silva but another loss for fedor and more top opposition wins for silva he will take the accolade, i hope not though as i dont like silva.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Good news Fedor will fight on the Looser of Werdum or Overeem is still a top 10 opponent, He really need that win to stay in contention with Anderson. Both guys really only have a couple of years to decide the GOAT, Fedor is a hair ahead right now I really hope he finishes his career on a high id hate to see him loose his standing in the history books.

Oh and No way Cain overtakes him, Cain is only a few years off 30, I dont see him being around forever or having a chin like that and not loosing to a lucky shot one day.

GSP is the only man with a shot of overtaking both Anderson and Fedor who is around now... Maby Aldo if he keeps looking so good but its early days yet to talk about him in the same sentince as Fedor.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 pm

There is absolutely nothing Anderson can do at Middleweight to surpass Fedor
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Chesty I said both fighters are exciting I didn't say one was more exciting than the other, I was comparing them to GSP... It's a shame fighters are having such long breaks between fights, its guna get to the stage where its like boxing.

No ones going to be able to build up these big records like they were doing 5 years + ago
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm

I think your too Hung up on the weight classes, Its a fighter choice where they compete, I dont know if fighting Zulu, a Shw was a harder fight than Fighting Mach Sakurai whos been down a Lw....

Fedor enjoyed having speed over bigger heavyweights, maby you could say he was ducking quicked more athletic Lhw's like Prime Wanderlei Silva or Shogun Rua?

Anderson comfortabally makes 185lbs, he has been as low as 168lbs and Fedor as high as 232, possibly higher but he was 232 recently enough. So in reality whatever people hear Anderson weighs between fights he has been 64lbs ligher than Fedor, BIGGER than the difference between Fedor and Bigfoot... Just saying.

Dont get me wrong Fedor is in my top 5 favorite of all time, Im a really big fan but I think the weight class thing doesnt really matter. Do fighters always have to compete at the heaviest weight their body will allow or whats your take on the weight issue?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm

fighters can compete at what weight they want to.

im not begrudging anderson doing what he is, im just saying if he wants to be compared to the likes of Fedor, why is he cutting weight?

WHAT IS HE AFRAID OF??

Im sure Fedor would have fought Shogun at heavyweight, doing it at 205 would be silly.
    remember the Coleman/Shogun I fight was for shot at Feodr.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 am

Give it five years, Jon Jones would have wiped out both the Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight divisions and then he will be the GOAT.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Good news Fedor will fight on the Looser of Werdum or Overeem is still a top 10 opponent, He really need that win to stay in contention with Anderson. Both guys really only have a couple of years to decide the GOAT, Fedor is a hair ahead right now I really hope he finishes his career on a high id hate to see him loose his standing in the history books.

Oh and No way Cain overtakes him, Cain is only a few years off 30, I dont see him being around forever or having a chin like that and not loosing to a lucky shot one day.

GSP is the only man with a shot of overtaking both Anderson and Fedor who is around now... Maby Aldo if he keeps looking so good but its early days yet to talk about him in the same sentince as Fedor.

Whilst I agree that Cain doesn't even enter the frame at the moment, I don;t agree with you about Cains chin Ben. Okay he was semi-dropped by Kongo, but, he's not renowned for being a light hitter, I don;t think he enters the frame simply by his inexperience. I've long maintained that he IS the future of HW in UFC, and I think that he will be at the top for some time yet.

For my money thought, until Silva gets anywhere near Fedors unbeaten streak (and let's not kid ourselves, BOTH have had protected careers, to an extent), he cannot be considered P4P all-time yet. Fedor is the GOAT in my opinion, his reign will not be matched (again IMO).

I have no desire though, to see a below par Fedor continuing. Okay, it's only two losses. But, I think that it's more the manner of those losses than anything else.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 am