THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
7 posters

SF cuts two good fighters....

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

SF cuts two good fighters.... Empty SF cuts two good fighters....

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:28 pm

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/12/08/strikeforce-wield-the-axe-on-both-joey-villasenor-and-joe-riggs-careers/#more-34737

Joey Villasenor and Joe Riggs

Shocker, SF's roster is so weak and Riggs is a good figher and Smoking Joe is a good journeyman who produces entertaining fights! UFC even have a few knocking around!

Jay Hieron
    Riggs
    Smoking Joe

Crazy theve let these 3 go recently.

They werent interested in Gerald Harris and really havnt been to active signing people. The roster seems to be shallow apart from Hw and those guys are inactive to say the least. I wonder if SF are paying through the nose for Fedor and havnt the money to keep other fighter?

Hope SF isnt going down the way of affliction who paid salaries to a few fighters they couldnt afford... like Arlovski getting 1 million! Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

SF cuts two good fighters.... Empty Re: SF cuts two good fighters....

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:36 pm

3 average fighters. SF's mandate has to be to only have fighters on the roster who can compete for titles. Because they only put on a certain amount of shows per year, they don't need a big roster full of deadwood. I'm not surprised to see these 3 go. I expect a couple more to follow. I wouldn't be surprised if they are pushing Diaz to move to MW full time and do away with their WW division. I've also heard they may even look to re-do their weight class. 155 moving to 160. 170 moving to 180, 185 moving to 195 and 205 to 215.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Moving weight classes would sort the problem all togeather. These guys wouldnt be a big loss if they had a deep roster but Diaz is too small for 185 I reckon.

Anyway since beating Diaz Riggs went 10-5 Which isnt too bad, he is on a 2 fight winning spree. Stick him in with Cyborg and you have a title contender SF's Ww devision is so shallow.

Smokin Joe beat Cyborg 3 UFC fighters... Baroni, Riki Fukuda and Ryan Jensen back to back! He had a 15 fight winning spree and beat Jorge Santiago during it!

Hieron was really highly ranked before he was injured Fight Matrix have him at 15th right now. He beat Riggs, Jesse Taylor and Jason High back to back in his current 5 figth winning spree... that and he was due a shot at Diaz based on the Riggs win.

I think they Fucked up letting Riggs and Hieron in a devision where they have 5 fighters tops.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

If they do sort the weight classes your right its not a problem and we will see a shit load of good fights... itll fuck with my rankings though! Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah i do agree that they should have held off but i think a 180 division is on it's way. Miller, Diaz, Kennedy, Cyborg, Cung Le, Daley, Woodley(would prob be better at 160 to be fair) and a few others will make it a decent division.

Jacare, Lawlor, Babalu, Hendo, Mousasi, Santiago, Prangley at 195.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:20 pm

You think Santiago is on his way to SF? I heard that a while back, Wonder if he is out of contract with Sengoku soon? There arent many Hw's who are small in SF think of the guys who wouldnt make 215... the 9/10 of the SF heavies are 240 or over.

215 lbs could be

Fedor
    Cormier
    Feijao
    Kyle
    King Mo
    OSP
    Monson
    Roger Gracie
    Ray Sefo

Chad Griggs if they give him another shot and even Hershal walker would have an Ideal weight!

Yeah mate I think that pretty much sorts out SF's weight class problems. Moving the likes of Noons and Woodley down a weight would sort out the lack of competition at the bottom too with JZ on the roster.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I think they could have done with keeping Riggs and Hieron. Villasenor is shit.

I really like the new weight classes idea but is that allowed? I thought that the weight classes were set by the commision and had to be part of the unified rules. Not sure how it works. I know ElitXC had the 160 division though.

I'm not sure Woodley could make 160, he looks like a big bloke to me.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Ben, as far as I'm aware Santiago's Sengoku contract allows him to fight in America with anyone other than the UFC(because of the UFC's insistence on exclusive contracts).

Chelsea, I don't actually know mate. They allow catchweight fights under the commission so I don't see the problem in shifting the weightclasses.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Santiago and Monson to figth in SF in 2011 I think.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 pm

monson is overdue a return to the bigger promotions. strikeforce would be ideal for him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Its 99% that his next fight will be in Strikeforce unless UFC make an offer to resign him. He said he had 1 offer (Strikeforce) but will finish his career making a run at one of the 205lbs belts. I dont like his style at times but Ive so much respect for him, he is a top class grappler and I think a contender at 205 in SF.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't think it will be a problem, I'm just quite Hazy on the rules they set. The EliteXC LW division always confused me.

I think Monson's a good fighter to sign, but I can't see him winning the title at SF. If they keep it 205, I think Hendo, Cavalcante, OSP, Mo and Mousasi all beat him. If they split it up, he won't be able to make 205 and at 215 he has the same contenders as 205.

Oh and I don't think Fedor would fight at 215. I think he'd stick to HW, he could make 205 easily if he wanted, but he always stuck to HW. He still has the likes of Werdum, Barnett and Overoid to contend with. And I don't think Monson would have a chance at HW.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 pm

depends on how long until he signs he fights like every month. i hope he gets a good contract
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I don't think it will be a problem, I'm just quite Hazy on the rules they set. The EliteXC LW division always confused me.

I think Monson's a good fighter to sign, but I can't see him winning the title at SF. If they keep it 205, I think Hendo, Cavalcante, OSP, Mo and Mousasi all beat him. If they split it up, he won't be able to make 205 and at 215 he has the same contenders as 205.

Oh and I don't think Fedor would fight at 215. I think he'd stick to HW, he could make 205 easily if he wanted, but he always stuck to HW. He still has the likes of Werdum, Barnett and Overoid to contend with. And I don't think Monson would have a chance at HW.

Monson's last fight he was down to 220 I think from over 250 so He is most of the way there, Big Lhw's cut about 20lbs so he is making 205lbs no problem.

Thing about Monson is that he is a reducilously good grappler, up there with Werdum. And at 205 will be an absolute powerhouse and is Damn near impossible to KO. Any 205er that isnt a great grappler is getting put on their back and Subbed.

Monsons record is misleading he takes the odd bad loss because he fights injured. When he fought in Belfast he had a broken hand and he is 5"9 taking on Hw's, Guys like Sylvia could neutralise his grappling with size, Hendo and Co. wont have the same luxury. He has won ADCC a couple of times, the likes Mo and OSP, whats their Sub defence like? grappling with Monson is like grappling with Werdum. I think he will get a title shot...

Im reading othat Marcus Hicks http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Marcus-Hicks-9363 is fighting him 7th Jan in his 205 debut.

Interesting, UFC could have made him the same offer as Ricco Rodriguez, make the cut and win a fight at 205 before we sign you...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Sorry, sorry I'm an idiot. I meant to say he couldn't make 195 not 205. I think he can make 205 simply enough.

I don't think he's as good as Werdum though. I'd rank Werdum as the greatest HW submission fighter ever. I think I'd have Barnett and Nog ahead of Monson as well, I think there all better than him.

Monson would have a chance against Hendo, if he did a Jake Shields like game-plan. Hendo fancies himself as a striker these days and with good reason. He would have a massive advantage against Monson standing, where Monson is kind of laughable (everyone's seen him up against the speed bag Laughing ) But I think Monson could out grapple him. I'd still favor Hendo though, Monson's takedown's aren't as good as Shields so I think Hendo could keep it standing. If he gets taken down he could be in trouble.

I don't think Mo is a good match-up for Monson. Because Mo is such a talented wrestler, Olympic caliber, I think Monson will find it hard to take Mo down. I think Mo could take Monson down at will, control him and GnP him as well. Standing it's all Mo. OSP might not be ready for someone like Monson yet, he's still more prospect than anything. Before this year he was a can, but he has had 6 fights in 2010 and won all 6. He's only been fighting for 2 years.

But overall the division looks a lot stronger than before. A few more big name signings and they will have a very good division. Machida could still be a possibility.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Jeff Monson - only man is history to lose a unanimous decision to speed bag.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Jeff Monson - only man is history to lose a unanimous decision to speed bag.

lol! that was a funny video clip that was.

My 6 year old lad has more controll on a speed bag than monson
    threeofclubs
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  threeofclubs Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Jeff Monson - only man is history to lose a unanimous decision to speed bag.

Amazingly he has a 2-0-1 boxing record.
    though according to boxrec his opponents didn't have the best of records.

With the right promoter I think Stephen Hawkings could get afew wins.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 am

UFC have let L.C. Davis go... shit to hear always though he was a good fighter but Kid Yamamotto and Omigawa more than make up for him. Still supprised to see him cut.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I think most guys in WEC 53 are fighting for a job in the UFC. I can see 3-4 losers there not getting asked to fight in the UFC.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Yeah mate theres 14 Lw's on that Card id guess other than the Main event and maby Donald Cerrone vs Chris Horodecki the looser of the other Lw fights could be out of a job!

2011 will be an awsome year for UFC im hoping at the end of the year we see Kid return to form and fight Aldo for the title

Hopefully Torres and Faber will fight too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 pm