THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar Empty Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:33 pm

He has been talking about it again, Machida has said that if he defends his Title 5 times he wants UFC to give him a fight Lesnar.

Its at least the 2nd time he has talked about this fight in interviews. What do people think about this? Id love to see it, Infact I think that if he beats Shogun that makes him a dominant Lhw champ. Defending the Lhw belt pretty much makes you a dominant champ in the devision these days. I think he he can Defend it a couple of times UFC will give him a shot.

Both fighters were only very recently at the top of their devision but if both stay top of their devision and there arent clear cut challengers I think this could happen. UFC gave hendo a crack at 205lbs and 185lbs titles back to back, They gave BJ stupid amounts of time to defend his 155lbs title while giving him a shot at GSP's title at 170lbs, Belfort is being given a shot at 185lbs title and he has never fought at 185lbs in the UFC... So Its not unthinkable that they will give Machida a shot at Brock at Heavyweight. Machida has fought at Hw before (Against BJ penn of all people!)

What do people think? Could this happen if both win a few in a row and who is your money on? This is hard to call now because we have seen so little of both against High level opposition. I think we will find a lot about both fighters in their next fights. Record wise you would think Machida looks better on paper and I think from what ive seen Brock doesnt like getting hit and Machida surely would be able to land on him... Saying that my money would be on Brock, I think there are a handfull of fighters could deal with Lesnars Size and athleticness and wrestling... Machida isnt one of them. Maby ill change my mind after the Shogun fight because Shogun is a figher Ive always rated. I even think the Shogun that turned up against Liddell will be the toughest fight of Machidas career.

It would be amazing to see Machida Karate the hell out of Brock though... if he was dominating on the feet Id love to see him pull out a Crane Kick from Karate Kid! That would make him insantly popular! Laughing The thing I keep thinking is that is it hard to see Machida doing better than 230lbs Couture or 240ish Mir? I think he would beat either of them at heavy if he stepped up. Still id go for Lesnar if I had to pick someone right now.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar Empty Re: Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Lesnar would destroy Machida, and im a big Machida fan and hate Lesnar. Look what Brock did to the 240-250 pound Mir. He would take him down and punch Machida lights out even from full guard.

I dont want to see this happen..... Now if it was Machida-Fedor then it would be a different story.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar Empty Re: Machida really wants a fight with Lesnar

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:25 pm

"Look what Lesnar did to the 240-250 lb Mir"

really?

this is a completly different situation! with a COMPLETELY different fighter.
    I think PRIDE rules Machida takes this. He would avoid the takedown, which is easier in a ring, and Lesnar wouldnt be able to back him against the cage, Machida would sprawl and karate kick the hell outta him.

ina UFC though, Lesnar would be too physical for Machida but i still think a few well times punches on the button and Machida could KO him.

Will it ever happen?

I dont know really, it could happen under certain circumstances, but it is more likely to happen if they are still champions 18 months from now, and even then Machida would probably have a warm up fight first.

anyway i expect either Shogun, Mousasi or Fedor to scupper this idea.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm inclined to agree on the ring/cage thing. In a ring Machida would pick Lesnar apart with ease and could avoid the takedowns with ease. In the cage it's different. It's not even taking down, it's pinning down. Look at CroCop. In the ring his nearly impossible to take/pin down, in the cage he's like a child, constantly pushed against the cage and pinned there.

I'd give Machida decent odds to beat Lesnar, better than anyone else in the UFC at the moment, with Cain V being the only other one i'd even back but i can't see him managing 5 rounds of stick and move unless he manages to tire Lesnar out early on. In which case it would be pretty easy for Machida.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Of course Machida is a different fighter to Mir, but the point im making is look at how Brock was able to smother Mir in his guard and cause big damage to Mir. Brock is too big for Machida.

Only way Machida can win is if Brock shoots in at the wrong moment, and Machida reads it and Brock eats a knee or an uppercut. As soon as fight goes to ground its game over im afraid...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:02 pm

"Shogun, Mousasi or Fedor to scupper this idea.."

What beating Machida? Im backing Shogun to win!! Mousasi in UFC would be great, what has he got 3 more fights? Soku, Filho then maby Arona if they can get their hands on him and he could be off to UFC.

Yeah a ring certainly would even the odds, I miss the ring, It really did favor the strikers. I often find the worst parts of a fight are one figher pinning the other against the cage with no action and im sure Lesnar could old Machida against the cage.... Bit off topic but would giving the Cage more bounce so fightrers could spring off it improve fights? Id would give more oppertinity to escape this situation and I think would make Judo throws more effective as well.

I think Machida would do a lot better than Mir he has 240 something in one of his fights with Lesnar and I think Machida would come in 230 in a heavyweigth bout, he fought in a 250lbs weight class in Karate and now he is in his 30's I think he could bulk up to make the switch. I think he is a much better striker than Mir and is harder to takedown or land on as well as being a BJJ blackbelt which is Mirs whole speciality. Randy is Machidas size and he did well against Lesnar untill he got tagged.... I really like to see Machida vs Lesnar sooner rather than later, Its an easy fight to hype they couldnt be more opposite fighers!

Still dont think Machida could avoid a Lesnar takedown for 25mins unless Lesnar Puffed badly, Lesnars crazy speed and big reach would ensure he got a hold of him at some point!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:12 pm

i meant either Shogun or Mousasi beating Machida (they're the only 205ers i can see beating him) or Fedor beating Lesnar (i dont see anyone else beating him but i dont know really).

Of course i am pulling for Shogun too!

i think Gegard is more likely to fight Mo before Arona btw.

side note: does anyone know whats happened in the Hendo situation?

i dont know about making the cage more springy, i would just prefer a ring!!
    but they should definatley get rid of the little 3 inch gap between the canvas and the base of the fence, apparently it can be a real distraction for fighters.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Does he want Lesnar or a HW title shot? Its highly unlikely Lesnar will still be champ after 4 or 5 title defences from Machida.
    I think Machida still has his hands full at LHW division with the likes of Shogun, Rampage , Randy and others...

Mousasi is UFC -bound after his contract is over so if he gets past all these then he should go to HW.

But one step at a time, Shogun fight will be a tough fight.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:27 pm

I think they would both have to clear out there respective divisions first and although I can't really see who is going to beat either of them,this is MMA and we all know how quickly things can change for a fighter in this game.

If it did happen I would think Brock would be a safe bet.
    Machida is without a doubt the better fighter but I can't really see technique beating power and size in this one.
    Although judging from Machidas performance against Tito I supose you could probably make a good argument for himagainst a good wrestler,but really Brock is like two Titos hitting you at once and unless Machida could use probably his Judo and use Brocks momentum against him so he can get out of the way constantly or land him on his back,which we haven't seen how Brock is on his back yet,he may be like a turtle or he may be impossible to keep down,then Brock is taking you down and I think the probably 70 extra pounds and Brocks supurb wrestling is nearly impossible to get off you before he pounds your face in,plus in that time Brocks game should be vastly improved from what he is now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:33 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:

What beating Machida? Im backing Shogun to win!!

Sorry Ben, i think that's wishful thinking. i'm a huge Shogun fan but even at his very best i don't think he was as good as Machida is and Shogun isn't at that level anymore.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:35 am

redmeanie77 wrote:Does he want Lesnar or a HW title shot? Its highly unlikely Lesnar will still be champ after 4 or 5 title defences from Machida.
    I think Machida still has his hands full at LHW division with the likes of Shogun, Rampage , Randy and others...

Mousasi is UFC -bound after his contract is over so if he gets past all these then he should go to HW.

But one step at a time, Shogun fight will be a tough fight.

Machida will destroy Rampage if they ever fight. That ones not even close and Randy Couture has no business being in title contention unless he strings together 3 wins in a row and at least 2 over top contenders. Vera is not a top contender.

Mousasi is UFC bound?? Highly unlikely. Unless Fedor goes to the UFC, Mousasi won't be going there.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:58 am

Mousasi has said on numerous occasions he wants to join the ufc, Fedor has nothing to do with this.

"I know that the best fighters in my weight fight in the UFC, but I’m still young and very happy with Strikeforce as a company," wrote on his blog. "I’ve signed a contract with them and I will fight the fights they give me."

"There are so many things possible in a short time, maybe I lose two times and the UFC doesn’t want me at all. That’s why I focus on one fight at a time."

"My goal in the future is of course to become UFC champion but I’m not in a rush. I’m happy with Strikeforce now and that’s the most important things. I’m now champion and want to defend with honor and dignity."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Strikeforce-fighter-Mousasi-says-his-goal-is-to-?urn=mma,192653

There are also other times he has expressed interest in joing ufc...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:21 am

Nowhere does he say he will join the UFC after his contract with Strikeforce is over. Nowhere does he say he will go to the UFC. All fighters say that, its the standard line. Whats he going to do?? Say "No, Dana White is a dickhead and i will never ever fight for the UFC". Of course not. the way MMA is structured you don't get yourself blacklisted from the biggest promotion in the world.

M1 global are Mousasi's representatives. M1 Global have a partnership with Strikeforce for as long as Fedor is signed with Strikeforce. So yes, it has a whole lot to do with Fedor.

Common sense lad.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:58 pm

You really cant see Shogun winning this? I think Shogun has the Ideal style for counter Machida, He bobs and weaves on his way in and with Machida leaning backwards it makes him hard to hit on the way in. Machida like Most Karate guys are open to Leg kicks so I think Shogun is going to be able to land on him. I think were in for a big upset. Shogun looked deadly against Liddell. I know people are going to say Liddell was shot, But Chuck was much better prepared that he was agaisnt say Evans and Shogun beat him a lot more decisivley than Evans did. Like I said before Im not 100% sold on Machida till he makes a title defence.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Machida isn't most Karate guys though. And if you watch his fight against Bonnar(who's leg kicks are far better than Shoguns), he constantly avoids them. Shogun's style is made for Machida to destroy him. He charges and lunges with his punches. And he often drops his hands.

I didn't think Shogun looked all that great against Liddell who took him down very easily and then made a couple of big mistakes. Shogun's finish of the fight was good if a little sloppy but he's not close to being the Shogun who destroyed Rampage back in Pride. But even that Shogun wouldn't beat Machida IMO. Machida's the best i've ever seen in that weight class and i think he'll beat Shogun and then clear out the division.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 pm

i really want to say i think Shogun will win, but it isnt easy, Machida is such a fantastic striker!
    then again Shogun is the kind of fighter that can ruin anyones plans, and he hasnt met a fighter he couldnt give a tough fight, and i dont think this will be any different, comeon shogun!!

anyway i think Mousasi could beat Machida. Wink
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Mousasi has the allround ability to trouble Machida but i don't think he'd beat him for two reasons. Mousasi's last defeat was to Gono and i know he's improved a lot since then but Gono's style is like a poor man's version of Machida's. And Machida's Judo/Sumo grappling would be too good for Mousasi IMO and Mousasi doesn't impress me off his back unless he connects with an upkick. And Mousasi seems to live on other peoples mistakes. Remember, Jacare and Kang were both getting the better of him until they made mistakes. Machida doesn't make mistakes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm