THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
pinsman
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
efils_god
Moose Stuff For Money...
12 posters

Strikeforce: Henderson v Babalu Videos

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce: Henderson v Babalu Videos - Page 2 Empty Re: Strikeforce: Henderson v Babalu Videos

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 pm

pinsman wrote:Or on the other hand they are only signing people who will bring excitment to the cage?

UFC is over ridden with wrestlers and they are so boring! with the exception of a few!

good point, i like that the likes of Diaz, Daley, Noons, Cyborg are in strikeforce, in the UFC we have Fitch, Koscheck, GSP, Hendricks, Story, Hathaway, Ellenburger, Pyle to lay on them.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce: Henderson v Babalu Videos - Page 2 Empty Re: Strikeforce: Henderson v Babalu Videos

Post  pinsman Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Its on Bravo 2 now guys
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am

hendos_right_hook wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:whatt??

strikeforce fights including the likes of Daley vs Smith may not be relevant if it was in the UFC, but it is relevant to the SF welterweight division.

Exactly. Every fight they make is made with the consideration of how it affects their rankings. That they continue to put on exciting cards is down to have the best match-makers in the sport.

And King, I can pick ANY UFC card and most of the fights are not relevant.

123:
    Penn vs Hughes was not relevant AT ALL and was made for nostalgia sake.
    George S vs Lauzon was not relevant AT ALL and did nothing for either fighter.
    Brown vs Foster was not relevant and just made to fill out the card
    Munoz vs Simpson was the same as Brown-Foster

Davis was given a can to help build himself up which is fair enough.

Machida-Rampage and Harris-Falcao were the only relevant fights on that card.

Wouldn't say Harris/Falcao was particularly relevant either...

Well I think that when you match up two promising fighters like that who could potentially become top 10 fights and eventually contenders, it does have a bit of relevance. But i get your point.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    pinsman wrote:Or on the other hand they are only signing people who will bring excitment to the cage?

UFC is over ridden with wrestlers and they are so boring! with the exception of a few!

good point, i like that the likes of Diaz, Daley, Noons, Cyborg are in strikeforce, in the UFC we have Fitch, Koscheck, GSP, Hendricks, Story, Hathaway, Ellenburger, Pyle to lay on them.

Why does Ellenberger get thrown in there? Out of his 23 career wins, 20 of them have ended in finishes, 15 by KO/TKO. His fight with Condit last year was one of the better fights of last year.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Strikeforce averaged 350,000 viewers for the Hendo - Babalu 2 event

This year's "Arena Series" average ratings include:

517,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Miami" (January)
    412,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum" (June)
    367,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Houston" (August)
    350,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons 2" (October)
    341,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu II" (December)
    308,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery" (May)
    164,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" (June)

Strikeforce have really got to get themselves off Showtime and find themselves a better TV deal,even bellator will start to get bigger numbers than those next year now they have signed there FX deal.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Strikeforce averaged 350,000 viewers for the Hendo - Babalu 2 event

This year's "Arena Series" average ratings include:

517,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Miami" (January)
    412,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum" (June)
    367,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Houston" (August)
    350,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons 2" (October)
    341,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu II" (December)
    308,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery" (May)
    164,000 viewers, "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" (June)

Strikeforce have really got to get themselves off Showtime and find themselves a better TV deal,even bellator will start to get bigger numbers than those next year now they have signed there FX deal.

The LA card wasn't a full card. It was their version of a Fight Night. Solid enough numbers for their first full year holding regular major events. 15 cards from Strikeforce this year. 7 full events(including Nashville on CBS), 7 ShoMMA events and the LA Card. All in all a good year. They'll be even bigger next year. In regards to the Showtime deal, it's key to the CBS thing. But they need to get at least 4 cards on CBS next year.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I was under the impression that CBS don't want anything to do with them now,I could be wrong,but if that is the case then surely they would be better off leaving showtime and finding a cable channel that goes out to 5+ times more viewers than they are currently reaching.

they will struggle to get bigger just being on showtime as there is no way Strikeforce alone is going to attract that many more subscribers to Showtime,plus Showtime is just not available through enough TV providers.

Percentage wise they were only slightly down on the UFC on Spike,they averaged 2 mil viewers for the TUF event,which is great but even though those numbers are good in that way,it's viewing numbers that count at the end of the day if they want to make money and be a success.

Showtime is only available in about a 5th of the homes that Spike and FX are.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:29 pm

I agree. Showtime on it's own is not sustainable long term. They are getting a good share given the amount of people that get the channel but compared to, as you say, Spike and FX, it's not good enough.

I don't really know what's happening with the CBS deal but it needs to be addressed. and soon. The ideal network for them to get on would be the USA Network, or failing that TBS.

2mil for the TUF finale isn't great compared to last year if memory serves me correctly.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 pm

They are rfeporting it to be exactly the same as last years TUF finale.

They both averaged 2 mil and both peaked at about the same 2.4 mil.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 pm

I seem to remember hearing 4million for the Kimbo fight last year.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Kimbo was the TUF before that,last seasons was the MW's,Lidell v Ortiz.

Court McGee was the winner.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Oh shit yeah, sorry. They've all sort of rolled into one.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Oh shit yeah, sorry. They've all sort of rolled into one.

thats because they turn over 2 or 3 tufs a year now seems like just recently that it was hendo and bisping.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:13 pm

So Hershall Walker on a main card is a bigger draw than Fedor at main event? lol
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm

You do realize that there's probably only about 4 fighters in all of MMA that are as well known as Herschal Walker?? The guy is arguably the greatest sportsman of all time. His appeal to the masses is huge.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Hershal Walker being a bigger draw than Fedor is down to the audience more than anything. People who aren't even fans of MMA will watch the fight because of who Walker is. I think he'd outdraw any current champion in the UFC, maybe not GSP because of his Canadian fan base but he'd definitley outdraw the likes of Edgar. The only one's that jump to mind who would outdraw him are Lesnar and Liddell. Can't think of many others.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:02 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Hershal Walker being a bigger draw than Fedor is down to the audience more than anything. People who aren't even fans of MMA will watch the fight because of who Walker is. I think he'd outdraw any current champion in the UFC, maybe not GSP because of his Canadian fan base but he'd definitley outdraw the likes of Edgar. The only one's that jump to mind who would outdraw him are Lesnar and Liddell. Can't think of many others.

what about randy does he still draw?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Randy is a pretty good draw but he isn't near the likes of Liddell or Lesnar. His fights that have had the most viewers are normally down to his opponent. Toney, Lesnar and Liddell for example had huge numbers, but it was mostly down to his opponents. The Coleman and Vera fights for example didn't do huge numbers. The only real fight that made a lot of money because of him was the Sylvia fight, and that was because he was coming out of retirement. And no one likes Timmeh, so everyone was praying he would get his ass kicked.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:52 pm

If Tito was still relevant he'd be a bigger draw as well but people have realized he's shit.

It'll be interesting to see how Brock draws after getting his ass handed to him in his last two fights.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:If Tito was still relevant he'd be a bigger draw as well but people have realized he's shit.

It'll be interesting to see how Brock draws after getting his ass handed to him in his last two fights.

i think brock will still draw as fans will want to see if/how he can bounce back, if he was to lose i think the may turn away.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Tito's appeal was everyone wanted to see him get his ass kicked. It happens so often nowadays, no one cares about him and they EVERYONE is tired of his excuses. But I agree prime Tito was a much bigger draw than Randy.

As for Lesnar, there will be money in a rematch with Velasquez (if he gets that far) so I think interest will remain to that point. When he loses, people will start to lose interest. I also think if you put Lesnar in with some one like Madsen, the numbers won't be that great. Lesnar has the same appeal as Tito where a lot of people want to see him get his ass kicked. It's happened twice now.

I'm kind of surprised Velasquez isn't a bigger draw. He has a very quiet and respectful personality but the Latino market is huge when it comes to combat sports. The UFC marketed the hell out of Huerta and he was never great. As a fighter Velasquez is a lot easier to market. They should market him the way they do with GSP, who has a similar personality but is still a pretty good draw.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 pm

If Cain wins his next 2-3 fights and dominates the HW division, he could be the GSP of HW. He's young, he's talented, he's entertaining, he has a likeable persona, he's like the GSP pre-Serra loss.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 pm

I think they were cautious with Cain because Brock was their cash cow and they wanted all focus on him (Brocktober?? Fuck off!). Now that Brock has been shown up as a fraud, i expect Cain to get shoved down our throats. Which is ok because he comes across as such a humble, respectful guy and I've been a big fan since before he even fought in the UFC.

I think Brock will need to win two fights before he gets Cain again. I think Mir and Carwin are the likely opponents. I think Carwin will beat him second time round.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm

what happened to the roy nelson fight for lesnar. i hope he does fight nelson rather than repeat the same opponents.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Nelson is having trouble with his contract. He is apparently still signed to Roy Jones Junior's company so I think UFC needs to sort a lot of Legal things to do with that before he fights again.

I think Lesnar should fight someone new, he only has had a handfull of fights and I dont want to see more rematches. I would like him to start a bit lower, maby fight Nog or someone, Travis Browne would make an interesting fight, Maby Schaub... as long as its someone new.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:01 pm