THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Chimezero
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
7 posters

UFC and WEC roster numbers !!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC and WEC roster numbers !! Empty UFC and WEC roster numbers !!

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:20 pm

MMA Live last night was a good show were they discussed in depth the merger of WEC into UFC. They showed an interesting stat of the roster number now in each division.

UFC - WEC
    28 HW 0
    37 LHW 0
    41 MW 0
    54 WW 0
    48 LW 20
    0 FW 23
    0 BW 19

So thats an extra 62 fighters on paper should now be UFC fighters. Also means that UFC roster now has 270 fighters. Laughing

Obvious some fat needs to be burned here. If i was a LW and not at the upper echolon of the division i would start to get worried about by this merger. I dont think all 20 WEC LW's will get a chance in the UFC also. Probably half that figure will probably get UFC fight.

But all the divisions will take a hit, there will be less shows next year as compared to number of shows UFC and WEC did combined this year. So fighters will start getting cut more frequently. Which is bad news for fighters on loosing streaks at the moment. On the show they mentioned Tyson Grifin as a good example....

And also fighters may be be as active as they have been up to this point.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC and WEC roster numbers !! Empty Re: UFC and WEC roster numbers !!

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

I'd really like to see a list of all these fighters. 54 WWs??? Really?
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Are we likely to see the UFC extending there PPV broadcasts?

Would def like to see 6/7 fights on the main card now that the roster has been extended
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:31 pm

yeah i like the idea of extended broadcasts but i think they will just run a extra couple of fightnights,
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah i hope they start putting 6 fights on the main card. There is always time left over to show one or 2 prelim fights anyway, so i think it could work.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Id love to see a list of who is under contract and their pays, I think over paid fighers are at risk rather than low level ones... Take Werdum or Gonzaga, still good heavys even after loosing but getting paid well so had to go.

Yvel has been cut too.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 pm

i would have liked to see a card that introduced the wec guys to the ufc fans on one mega card maybe all 3 titles on one night or something.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:I'd really like to see a list of all these fighters. 54 WWs??? Really?

GSP/ Kos/ Fitch/ Condit/ Shields/ Almeida/ Alves/ Baroni/ Sanchez/ BJ/ Thiago/ Hardy/ Ellenberger/ Marcus Davis/ Elkins/ Renzo/ Foster/ TJ Grant/ Guymon/ Rumble/ Hallman/ Hathaway/ Hendricks/ Hazelett/ Matt Brown/ Howard/ Matt Hughes/ Kampmann/ Dong Hyun Kim/ Nate Diaz/ Lytle/ Rory Macdonald/ Karo/ Pyle/ Riddle/ Roberts/ Petz/ Ospiczak/ Demarquez Johnson/ Mike Pierce/ Serra/ Sadollah/ Swick/ Soto/ Story/ Wilks/ Volkmann/ TJ Waldburger/ Sobotta/ Carlos Rocha/ Kris McCray/ Pascal Krauss/ Mark Scanlon/ Charlie Brenneman and Duane Ludwig

Thats 55 welterweights cheers

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:33 pm

BJ is a LW so it prob is 54. that's retarded. There's only about 15 of them worthy of being in the organization that claims to be "where the best fighters fight".
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah exactly. I havent done the list for the other divisions but if its anything like the WW list then they really should have no problem getting rid of a good few lower tier fighters to compensate for the 60ish WEC fighters joining.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 pm

I still think it's a bad idea, although it will HOPEFULLY make Bellator and Strikeforce a lot stronger. And Sh!ne might be able to pick up a few. Of course the problem will be that all of these fighters will simply be labeled UFC rejects.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 pm

To be fair to Strikeforce, they have never really made a habit of signing fighters that UFC cuts. Everytime UFC cuts decent fighters after a loss everyone assumes that SF would snap them up in a flash. Guys like Duffee, Saunders, Gonzaga, Escudero, Jardine.... etc

Babalu and Daley and Diaz were let go by the UFC for bad behaviour/attitude and Werdum couldnt agree a contract with UFC.

I think they should swallow their pride and pick up some of the well known talent cut from UFC, to bolster up their roster.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:16 pm

They will be UFC rejects,but fuck how they are labeled,they are all still talented fighters who can put on a good show,they just at that time couldn't cut it against the fighters in the UFC,who's to say that they won't go on to improve or build up a good name for themselves on shows like Bellator or strikeforce.

Both Orgs need strengthening and are miles away from trying to compete with the level of talent that the UFC has and will continue to attract,so if the UFC are planning on making alot of cuts,then what a shop window they have just created for the other Orgs to pick from.

As long as Dana doesn't start playing funny fuckers with some fighters,like "if you sign for Strikeforce forget ever coming back here" (which I think some the cut UFC fighters like Jardine might think that and that's why they are trying to rebuild and get back in the UFC by fighting elsewhere,I hope not though)and leaves the door open to return if they prove themselves elsewhere,then everything should be fine for everyone.

I don't remember people thinking it was a huge loss at the time when Diaz left the UFC,he left as a bottom end to just outside of the top ten UFC WW's,now look at him,nearly everyone wants to see him back in the UFC challenging for a belt.
    Even when Werdum got released,most of us knew he had alot of talent but at the time he was released,nobody was thinking that the UFC had just lost out on a guy that would go on to beat Fedor and be challenging for the number 1 HW spot.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:13 am

Did Werdum get released or did he walk at the end of his contract?

I think Strikeforce need WW's, MW's and LHW's and should snap up ANYONE that's available.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm

UFC offered him a contract extension with reduced pay and he turned it down.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Jorge Santiago mentioned that he would like to go to SF, he would be a great addition to the Mw roster I reckon and could walk straight into a title shot.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:46 pm

the merger is really good new for Nam Phan.

do you think many LWs will drop down?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:52 am