THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch  Empty Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:46 pm

After hanging a landslide unanimous decision victory on Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 120, Michael Bisping feels confident his convincing win over the Japanese stud puts him right back in the middleweight title hunt. “The Count” bumped his record to 20-3 in front of his countrymen on Saturday night and quickly announced who he’d like to be his 21st victim.

Things didn’t look good in the opening ticks, as Sexyama landed a right that clearly dazed Bisping. Instead of unleashing a barrage of strikes to try and collect an early paycheck, Akiyama was more methodical in his follow-up attack and allowed the 31-year-old to gather his wits about him.

“It definitely landed,” Bisping admitted of the punch. “It was a good shot. He caught me early on, and I did have to recover. It had me seeing double for a while.

“Akiyama’s a great fighter, I expected a tough challenge. I truly believe in my training and my skills and my ability to win this fight.”

Bisping has rattled off victories in three of his last four outings since being put to sleep by Dan Henderson at UFC 100 in July 2009. His only loss came in a controversial unanimous decision to Wanderlei Silva earlier this year. Silva abruptly pulled out of his UFC 116 scrap against Akiyama to have his knee surgically repaired in July. The former Pride champ isn’t expected back anytime soon.

“I’d like to fight Wanderlei again, definitely. I feel I’ve grown as a fighter,” Bisping stated. “I would even consider coaching ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ against him.”

If Bisping lands another TUF gig, it would mark his third appearance on the hit reality show. He won the light heavyweight tournament in Season 3 and returned a few years later to lead a pair of Englishmen to victory in the series’ ninth installment.

While Octagon brass might not be ready to turn Bisping into TUF’s poster boy just yet, pairing the two would make a ton of sense on multiple levels. The UFC’s mission to achieve global dominance has been well documented, and pitting a team of budding Brits against a squad of blazing Brazilians wouldn’t be the worst idea in continuing down that path.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch  Empty Re: Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:53 pm

the_king wrote: His only loss came in a controversial unanimous decision to Wanderlei Silva earlier this year.

There was nothing controversial about it. He clearly lost, yes it was close, but he lost.

Same as Wand- Franklin, it was a close fight, but Frankln clearly won.

Bisping should get a title shot IMO, and when Belfort inevitably pulls out The Cunt should get right in there.
    Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch  Empty Re: Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:57 pm

if belfort pulls out again then he should get cut as he would clearly be ducking anderson.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Speaking of, what do you will happen to Steve Cantwell? He's pulled out of a shit load of fights recently, wonder if he'll get cut.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:09 pm

i read a while back that cantwell has medical issues or something. he has pulled out of at least 2 fight less than 48hrs before and left the other fighter in the lurch.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Karo Parisyan has medical issues as well and he was cut.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Cantwell keeps wrecking his knee, bit different from Karo having panic attacks and not being honest about it.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:02 am

Palhares, Palhares, Palhares.

Or Chael Sonnen.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:37 pm

sunthunder wrote:Cantwell keeps wrecking his knee, bit different from Karo having panic attacks and not being honest about it.

Thats a bit harsh on Karo.

I'm not defending one and not the other, i think it's unfair to cut anyone because of things out of their power, Karo can't help his anxiety problems, Cantwell can't help his knee problems (and whatever the other life threatening illness he had was)... It's just a bit heartless IMO.

As for the topic of the thread. I will post one picture and one picture only...

Michael Bisping Pushes for Wanderlei Silva Rematch  20100211

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:52 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:Cantwell keeps wrecking his knee, bit different from Karo having panic attacks and not being honest about it.

I'm not defending one and not the other, i think it's unfair to cut anyone because of things out of their power, Karo can't help his anxiety problems, Cantwell can't help his knee problems (and whatever the other life threatening illness he had was)... It's just a bit heartless IMO.

I'm not saying it's Karo's fault for having anxiety problems, that's hard shit to deal with, I've had anxiety problems. But he said he was fine multiple times and still ended up pulling out on multiple occasions, I can understand why Dana/UFC got annoyed, and might have less sympathy for Karo than they would for someone who like Cantwell.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:58 pm

sunthunder wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:

I'm not saying it's Karo's fault for having anxiety problems, that's hard shit to deal with, I've had anxiety problems. But he said he was fine multiple times and still ended up pulling out on multiple occasions, I can understand why Dana/UFC got annoyed, and might have less sympathy for Karo than they would for someone who like Cantwell.

Me too, and i can easily see why he would say he was fine and still pull out. Attacks are completely unpredictable and come out of the blue, so perhaps he was fine when he said he was, but then got hit with the anxiety.

Like he said before the Alves fight, he had in excess of 20- odd attacks backstage before the fight and still came out to fight, that shows some heart and i can understand that Dana and Co. would get frustrated that he kept pulling out of fights but they need to understand the position Karo was in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm