THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
The_Axe_Emperor
the_king
payneNglory1
7 posters

UFC 120:The New guys

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 120:The New guys Empty UFC 120:The New guys

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:09 pm

Half of the guys on the UFC 120 preliminary card will be making their Octagon debuts, hoping to claim some TV time by smashing their veteran opponents — or at the very least not do so poorly that they're immediately fired. Take a look at the first three and keep an eye out for them on Saturday...

CURT WARBURTON (LW)
    Experience: 7-2-1 record in various British promotions, with 6 wins by first-round stoppage. Warburton fought TUF 9 winner Ross Pearson three times in the Total Combat UK league, going an even 1-1-1 in the series.
    Will be facing: Spencer Fisher (23-6, 8-5 UFC)
    Lowdown: Warburton is a Wolfslair MMA Academy product who "used to dig holes for a living" before discovering MMA. He described himself as "gobsmacked" by his four-fight UFC contract, and is humbled by the opportunity that's been put in front of him. “I got butterflies when I was given [Fisher's] name," Warburton says. "It took me by surprise a little bit, as he's a top fighter and very experienced. When you get used to seeing people fight on television, it becomes a little strange to then be told you've got to fight him. Like everyone else, I've enjoyed watching Spencer fight over the years, and it was a bit of a 'wow' moment for me when I discovered I'd be fighting him on my UFC debut...I've got to go out there and prove to everybody that I belong at this level. This is my chance to keep on doing something that I love. If I can't perform on the night, and can't do it on the big stage, I'll have to give up on something I love and go back to work."

http://www.cagepotato.com/ufc-120-new-guys-part-1
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 120:The New guys Empty Re: UFC 120:The New guys

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:10 pm

FABIO MALDONADO (LHW)
    Experience: 17-3 record (11 wins by KO/TKO), primarily competing in Brazilian promotions like Bitetti Combat and Predador FC. His 10-fight win streak includes a TKO victory over Maiquel Falcao, the guy Gerald Harris is fighting next.
    Will be facing: James McSweeney (4-5, 1-1 UFC)
    Lowdown: A Team Nogueira member from Sao Paulo, Maldonado comes into UFC 120 as a replacement for Tom Blackledge, and will be McSweeney's first opponent at light-heavyweight. Maldonado is also a professional boxer in Brazil with a nicely padded 22-0 record, and 21 wins by KO. The 30-year-old will be giving up three inches in height to McSweeney, who says the Brazilian is "tailor-made" for his style.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:10 pm

PAUL SASS (LW)
    Experience: 10-0 record (7 wins by triangle choke, 2 wins by heel-hook), competing in the Cage Gladiators and OMMAC promotions. Was formerly the OMMAC lightweight champion.
    Will be facing: Mark Holst (8-2, 0-1 UFC)
    Lowdown: Nicknamed "Sassangle" for his skill with a triangle choke, Sass fights out of Liverpool, England, and trains at Team Kaobon alongside Terry Etim, Paul Kelly, and Paul Taylor. The 22-year-old submission whiz stands in stark contract to the stereotypical British brawler: "I started off doing the ground game and jiu-jitsu, and then moved on to striking afterward," he says. "A lot of people in Britain have done it the other way round. I just happened to find my feet on the floor first, and that's why I love jiu-jitsu so much...I did pure grappling for a couple of years, concentrated on nothing else, and then moved more towards striking as my career progressed. I always go into my fights with the intention of getting it to the ground and winning by submission. I don't think that mindset will change.”

As for the fact that he finished his first seven pro fights by triangle choke? “It was almost like destiny that I was going to win fights by that method. The first time I ever took part in a grappling class I managed to pull off two triangles. The move hadn't even really been taught to me properly at that stage. I think it's just a natural submission for me.”
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:11 pm

am i the only one that is dissapointed with the uk cards. im a big bisping fan but surely there is another fight they could have squeezed on this card.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:12 pm

STANISLAV NEDKOV (LHW)
    Experience: 11-0 record (8 wins by first-round stoppage), with appearances in Sengoku, Pancrase, and Shooto Bulgaria. Holds wins over Kevin Randleman and Travis Wiuff.
    Will be facing: Steve Cantwell (7-3 record, 1-2 UFC)
    Lowdown: Nedkov was slated to make his UFC debut against Rodney Wallace at UFC 117, but had to withdraw due to injury. The Bulgarian native comes from a decorated grappling background, and is experienced in freestyle wrestling, sumo, and BJJ. Judging from his fights, he seems to love a good brawl just as much as a ground battle. Causes for concern: At 5'11", he'll be one of the shortest 205-pounders in the UFC, and his Sengoku fights against Randleman and Wiuff raised questions about his stamina.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:17 pm

]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7dzz4_robert-berry-vs-rob-broughton_sport?start=90#from=embed[/dailymotion]

ROB BROUGHTON (HW)
    Experience: 14-5-1 record (11 wins by stoppage), with multiple appearances in Cage Rage — where he was the British Heavyweight Champion — and M1 Challenge. Holds wins over Neil Grove, Eric "Butterbean" Esch, Robert Berry, and James Thompson (twice). In January, Broughton won an eight-man ZT Fight Night heavyweight tournament, defeating Neil Wain, James Thompson, and Oli Thompson in the same night.
    Will be facing: Vinicius Queiroz (see below)
    Lowdown: Like Curt Warburton, Broughton is another Wolfslair member getting a call up to the majors for UFC 120. Over the last six years, "Bear" Broughton has fought every single British heavyweight with a name, and beaten most of them. As he told the Mirror, "Getting signed with the UFC is a dream come true but I feel that I've earned my place. I fought all of the top guys in the UK and then winning the ZT tournament really proved that I am the best heavyweight in Britain...I don't know that much about Quieroz; he is a bit of an unknown. I saw one of his fights and he looks like a bit of a banger which suits me fine. Obviously I will be happy to stand and strike with him but I am happy to grapple and wrestle as well."
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18 pm

VINICIUS QUEIROZ (HW)
    Experience: 5-1 record in Brazilian promotions, with all wins by KO/TKO.
    Will be facing: Rob Broughton
    Lowdown: A 6'7" beanpole from Curitiba, the hard hitting "Spartan" honed his skills at the famed Chute Boxe academy. As he tells UFC.com, "Chute Boxe matured me because I was training with guys who had a huge amount of experience. But I believe that each fighter has his own story, and I never felt the pressure of emulating guys like [Wandelei] Silva or Shogun [Rua] — I'm here to prove I'm Queiroz from Chute Boxe." Queiroz is a BJJ brown belt under Fabricio Werdum, and won a Brazilian national championship in wrestling in 2001. His team makes him train in a river.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:23 pm

the_king wrote:am i the only one that is dissapointed with the uk cards. im a big bisping fan but surely there is another fight they could have squeezed on this card.

I'm looking forward to it personally,I think there is going to be some really good fights on this card.Theres a load of guys making there debuts,and they all should hopefully be out there trying to make a statement that they belong,so I'm expecting a few fireworks and gutsy displays.

If there's one thing we should of all learned by now is,a card doesn't necessarily need a load of great names to make a great card.

Who knows it might turn out to be crap,but I think (well fingers crossed)it's gonna be a good one.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Great thread, thanks for this Payne, did you put your own hardwork into this or is it from somewhere else? Not that it matters, anyway cyclops

the_king wrote:am i the only one that is dissapointed with the uk cards. im a big bisping fan but surely there is another fight they could have squeezed on this card.

I refer you to UFC 95 for revision.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Stole it from cage potato.

I wish I could put more than one video in my articles though,instead of having to do loads of separate posts Mad

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:51 pm

I always look forward to seeing debutants in the UFC, especially when they have good records and considered top prospects in future.

Im looking forward to seeing the "triangle choke guy" and Maldonado and Nedkov on this card.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:39 pm

UFC 120 weigh in results

Main card:

Michael Bisping (185) vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (185)
    Dan Hardy (171) vs. Carlos Condit (170)
    John Hathaway (171) vs. Mike Pyle (170)
    Cheick Kongo (228) vs. Travis Browne (251)
    James Wilks (170) vs. Claude Patrick (171)

Preliminary card:

Cyrille Diabate (204) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (204)
    Rob Broughton (257) vs. Vinicius "Spartan" Queiroz (239)
    Paul Sass (155) vs. Mark Holst (155)
    Spencer Fisher (155) vs. Curt Warburton (154)
    James McSweeney (205) vs. Fabio Maldonado (204)

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Since when was James McSweeney a Light Heavyweight?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:49 pm

This is his first fight at LHW,because he obviously can't cut it with the UFC HW's.

but I think this will be his last fight in the UFC as a LHW also Twisted Evil
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Sorry Kongo 228 Lbs?

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=5449

Check him out he lookes bigger than his opponent who is well heavier! Kongo must have hollow bones!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Vinicius "ET neck" Queiroz

He looks like one of those african tribes women,who put those brass rings around there necks.

he's also got to be the most vunerable fighter out there for getting choked out,tucking his chin will make no differance whats so ever.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Sorry Kongo 228 Lbs?

Check him out he lookes bigger than his opponent who is well heavier! Kongo must have hollow bones!

Nah, Browne is taller and more built than Kongo.

UFC 120:The New guys Cheick-kongo-travis-browne

Kongo would be a beast at 205 lbs, i think he can make the cut, alot of guys at LHW cut weight at more than 228 lbs.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:21 pm

How great is it to watch a live UFC PPV event at a reasonable hour? Cool

Payne when do you get to watch it? Will you be on chatbox?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:28 pm

It's delayed over here,it starts at 8pm my time(1am UK time),so I'll have to give Chatbox a miss for this one.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:Sorry Kongo 228 Lbs?

Nah, Browne is taller and more built than Kongo.

UFC 120:The New guys Cheick-kongo-travis-browne

Kongo would be a beast at 205 lbs, i think he can make the cut, alot of guys at LHW cut weight at more than 228 lbs.

I think 228 is Kongo cut down to his limit though mate. His walking around weight is about 255.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:11 am

redmeanie77 wrote:How great is it to watch a live UFC PPV event at a reasonable hour? Cool

Payne when do you get to watch it? Will you be on chatbox?

i'm not sure this is PPV anywhere!!

bisping vs akiyama? Laughing
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:46 am

Good point Embarassed
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:58 pm

what time does this start back home?

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:05 pm

8pm, thank God.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:21 pm

nice 1 Axe,I'll be turning my computer off at 3pm my time then.

No chatbox for me tonight Sad ,I enjoy chatting to the lads during an event,should be a good turn out also.

I'll have to wait a day to enjoy the bisping banter

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:59 am