The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Strikeforce guys the new Challengers to the UFC Lw title.

rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Strikeforce guys the new Challengers to the UFC Lw title.

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 pm

So Gil came off a close fight that could have gone either way, He is still the number 1 guy in the devision after Bendo

Then youve got Thomson who KO'd Diaz, Coming off a title shot. To me Gil and Josh are the number 1 and 2 in line for the title shot.

Maynard and Grant winner goes next aparently (Injury asside or Danas promise not being worth shit) but after them it has to be Pat Healy in the mix next, the guy is on a 7 fight run which is rare in such a competitive devision.

3 Strikeforce guys all a win away from a title shot is amazing. Personally Id rather see any of the 3 of them over Maynard vs Grant winner.

Who ends up with the Lw title? Im guessing by 2014 It will be one of these 3. Diego Sanchez is looking a fight at 164 in August id say one of these guys should earn their shot by beating one him (Unless we get those Diego loving Judges)
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Re: Strikeforce guys the new Challengers to the UFC Lw title.

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm

I say if Maynard vs Grant gets the title shot,

Thomson vs Diego would be great if he is ready to go Melendez if not, one of these guys should fight him and earn a shot.

I know Gomi "Lost" to Diego but I think Dana wasnt happy with that decision so im hopefull UFC will still view him highly, a fight with Gil/Josh would be fireworks I think.

I think for Healy a fight with the Dunham vs Dos Anjos winner would move him into a number 1 contenders fight in his next one if there isnt a big back log.

Lw and Ww really have been the two most stacked devisions in MMA for a long time.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 am

Gil should get a rematch, thought he won that fight 4-1 to be honest.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Reckon he will have a long wait though Anfield, Bendo is waiting on MAynard/Grant winner... so he needs to fight again. Diego would be an easy win against a well known fighter and a fight he would look great in I reckon.

If his name was Frankie Edgar he would have been getting a rematch. I scored it 3-2 in Gils favor.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Pettis should still be in the title picture at LW no matter what happens in the Aldo fight,he was supposed to be the #1 challenger to the Benson - Gil winner,but for a second time after earning his shot,he decided not to wait,instead taking on a super challenge in Aldo.

Which i personally applaud him for.As a fan it bugs me when a fighter sits out the best part of a year waiting on their shot,but i do understand why some do,for whatever reasons,they might not get one again,but I don't think they should be punished for not waiting either,especially when taking a fight outside of that division.

I mean the first time,he lost to Guida at LW,so he took the gamble and lost his shot,that's fair enough,but i don't think in this case it should effect his LW position.

So even if he loses to Aldo,I hope he at least gets the chance to go straight back into a #1 contenders fight at LW.

Gil should get the rematch though,it was to close not to warrant one.

If not,and the winner of Grant and Maynard does get it,have Gil fight pettis for the #1 spot,failing that make the fight that was supposed to happen on the last Strikeforce card and have Healy and Gil fight

Thomson vs Diego sounds like a great fight,i'd really like to see that.

the LW fighter that i think people are not giving as much credit,as I think he deserves, is Nurmagomedov.
    I don't think it'll be long before he's in the mix.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 am