THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
mikeyboybisping
sunthunder
Moose Stuff For Money...
7 posters

Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable Empty Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:10 pm

That's the date the perennial welterweight contender will get an idea of where he's headed in the near future. He could meet the winner of Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Shields, slated for next month's UFC 121 event, or the winner of UFC 124's Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck title fight.

But Fitch also sees a move to the middleweight class not too far down the road, and that trip could be expedited if American Kickboxing Academy teammate Koscheck wins St-Pierre's welterweight belt this winter.

"We have a philosophy at our gym that it would be much better to have three belts at AKA than to have two belts, and then send two guys to fight for the same belt," Fitch told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during a recent UFC Gym opening event in Rosemead, Calif. "So I feel like I can beat Anderson Silva, too, and GSP."

Teammate vs. teammate remains a taboo subject in AKA's stable. Following his win over Thiago Alves at UFC 117, Fitch told MMAjunkie.com Radio he will let Koscheck remain champion to avoid a possible showdown, though a $20 million payday might change his stance. But with that kind of payday about as likely as a UFC event on the White House lawn, the message was clear.

Mostly, though, Fitch and Koscheck have sidestepped questions about a potential meeting. It's often a condition of interviews that reporters not broach any questions about them fighting each other.

UFC president Dana White is staunchly opposed to AKA's unofficial policy and has promised it won't interfere with UFC matchmaking. Following UFC 117, he assured reporters that Koscheck and Fitch are coming around to the idea.

"What you're not hearing is 'No,'" White said following UFC 117. "I've said it before, and I'll say it again. From what I understand of Fitch and know of Koscheck, I believe they have the desire, heart and spirit to take this fight. There have been guys before who say, 'No way. We won't fight.' They aren't saying that. They aren't saying no."

For now, Fitch is using his time in limbo to improve his skills.

"I've got to wait to hear what's next," he said. "For me, it's just about getting back to the gym. I have things that I have to improve on, specific things I have outlined that I want to improve before my next fight, especially if it's a title shot. So I have a little time to do that."

Although he is not yet in the position to give a definitive answer, Fitch said a very limited number of fights interest him in the welterweight division.

"GSP is first on my list," he said. "But by the time I win the belt at 170, there will be one or two fights left because I will have fought everybody else, and I'll want to move up. That's just where my career will progress.

"Just like the other guys who want to fight the best in the world, I'm the same way. It's always been my intention to clear out 170 and move up. It's just one guy left, and I've been chasing him since the last loss, and I'll continue to chase him until I beat him and get the welterweight title and move up."

Fitch (23-3 MMA, 13-1 UFC) made his professional debut in July 2002 as a light heavyweight but dropped to the middleweight class less than a year later. He then fought three times at 185 pounds before shedding more weight for a year-plus stint at welterweight. In his UFC debut, he bulked back up to meet Brock Larson as a middleweight at UFC Fight Night 2 but subsequently returned to the welterweight class, where he's remained until today.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/20807/ufc-welterweight-contender-jon-fitch-says-move-to-middleweight-is-inevitable.mma
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable Empty Re: Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable

Post  sunthunder Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:15 pm

I hope he gets a second shot at GSP, and doesn't just get forced to middleweight because Dana won't give him a title shot.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable Empty Re: Jon Fitch says move to middleweight is inevitable

Post  mikeyboybisping Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:28 pm

GSP owns Jon Fitch everytime. Anderson would put him in a body bag.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:51 am

If Fitch follows Sonnen's gameplan against Silva he could possibly beat him.

The quote from Dana is one of his daftest. Fitch and Kos have said MANY times that they won't fight each other.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm

As much as I hate to say it, I'd probably go for Fitch to beat Anderson...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:58 am

If Fitch follows Sonnen's gameplan against Silva he could possibly beat him.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Fitch isn't the wrestler Sonnen is, but he has a similar style and is good enough a wrestler to take Silva down. Fitch has much better sub defense than Sonnen has so i think he has a real shot.

I think GSP beats him 9 times out of 10 just because GSP is a terrible match up for Fitch.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:25 am

GSP has a massive athletic advantage over Fitch and his speed and explosiveness makes him a horrible match up for Fitch. I'd say 8 out of 10 GSP wins, and 6 out of 10 he wins easily. I think Fitch COULD catch him in a submission because GSP sometimes makes small mistakes with his hand position etc. Normally his opponent is just being dominated too much to try and take advantage of it though.

Fitch has a similar chin to Sonnen and is a lesser version of Sonnen in wrestling but he's a grinder and will get his takedowns eventually. As you mention, he's vastly superior to Sonnen on takedown defence but his stand-up is very wooden though and his boxing is not close to Sonnen's. I don't think he could dominate Silva for 25 minutes like Sonnen did, but I think he could grind out a victory.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 am

i might be alone here but fitch is a top draw gatekeeper, my own opinion is he will not beat GSP or silva so there forth he will be the big name to bounce between the two.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:40 pm

GSP has a massive athletic advantage over Fitch and his speed and explosiveness makes him a horrible match up for Fitch. I'd say 8 out of 10 GSP wins, and 6 out of 10 he wins easily. I think Fitch COULD catch him in a submission because GSP sometimes makes small mistakes with his hand position etc. Normally his opponent is just being dominated too much to try and take advantage of it though.

Fitch has a similar chin to Sonnen and is a lesser version of Sonnen in wrestling but he's a grinder and will get his takedowns eventually. As you mention, he's vastly superior to Sonnen on takedown defence but his stand-up is very wooden though and his boxing is not close to Sonnen's. I don't think he could dominate Silva for 25 minutes like Sonnen did, but I think he could grind out a victory.

I agree with the first part completely, it was quite apparent in there first fight.

I also agree with the rest. I forgot to mention the standup. Fitch there is completely outmatched, he doesn't have the boxing Sonnen has and doesn't have much power. Silva has an excellent chin and Sonnen rocked him a few times. I don't think Fitch could do that. From what I've seen with Fitch, his stand up is solid but nothing more. But I do think he would have enough to get inside Silva, grab him and take him down. The thing as well though, is I don't Fitch is as active as Sonnen when he gets a takedown, Sonnen pushes a crazy pace with his GnP. Sonnen shocked, hurt and slowed Silva down a lot with his GnP. I don't know if Fitch can GnP Silva like that. But at the same time, I think there's a very small chance of Fitch getting caught from the bottom by Silva. Fitch is still one of the best grinders in the sport and in recent years that seems to be the best way to beat Silva.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:15 pm