THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
rudeboyben84
Cowboys From Hell
p4pnumber_1
payneNglory1
8 posters

What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce?

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce? Empty What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce?

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:33 pm

If you had the power,name up to 5 UFC fighters from each division,you would like to take from the UFC to bolster the Strikeforce rosta?

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce? Empty Re: What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce?

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 pm

I'd send over

LHW

Brandon Vera
    Vladimir Matyushenko
    Krzysztof Soszynski
    Kyle Kingsbury
    Cyrille Diabate

MW

Dan Miller
    Tom Lawlor
    Jorge Rivera
    Alessio Sakara
    C.B. Dollaway

WW

Josh Neer
    Dan Hardy
    Daniel Roberts
    Matt Brown
    Charlie Brenneman

LW

Yves Edwards
    Mac Danzig
    Efrain Escudero
    Spencer Fisher
    Paul Taylor
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce? Empty Re: What fighters would you like to see move from the UFC to Strikeforce?

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 am

payneNglory1 wrote:I'd send over

LHW

Brandon Vera
    Vladimir Matyushenko
    Krzysztof Soszynski
    Kyle Kingsbury
    Cyrille Diabate

MW

Dan Miller
    Tom Lawlor
    Jorge Rivera
    Alessio Sakara
    C.B. Dollaway

WW

Josh Neer
    Dan Hardy
    Daniel Roberts
    Matt Brown
    Charlie Brenneman

LW

Yves Edwards
    Mac Danzig
    Efrain Escudero
    Spencer Fisher
    Paul Taylor

Agreed with all of these guys.

Another guy I would send over would be Chris Leben. The strikeforce MW division is weak and needs challengers. Let's face it, Chris will never even sniff at being close to a title shot.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 am

Pretty good list one name I'd like to see cross over is Josh Koscheck I don't think he is ever going to a threat to the UFC WW Title again and think It would be a good fit also I think John Hathaway might be worth while to cross over too.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Rampage on fighting Mo in SF,

"It's funny that he gotta talk about me after his fight and say I should move down to the Strikeforce and fight him. I'm sorry, but from where I'm sittin', that's a step down. You know what I'm sayin'? Why would I wanna step down to the Strikeforce and fight him when I'm fightin' in the biggest organization in the world?"

I cant imagine any fighter who is ranked considering SF just to win a belt. You could go to BAMMA and win a belt if they ment anything.

At the minute heavyweigths aside there are 7 top 15 ranked guys in SF. Id rather just leave them there and forget about them than drag more ranked fighters into SF. The more the tallent is split between 2 organisations the worse for the fans if they cant fight each other.

The best thing to hope for is SF becomes a total flop and they close it, I dont even see them using it as a B league when they still have top 5 figthers under contract.

Id love to hear the gods honest truth about whats really going on with SF, AFter hearing King Mo signed a new SF contract ive a very bad feeling that Dana and Co see it as a good thing to dilute the tallent across 2 organisations.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 pm

I'd like to believe that they are going to move the top strikeforce talent across to the UFC eventually,but only when they can fill out the Strikeforce rosta abit deeper,and I think the best way they can do that,is to bring a reasonable amount of fighters from the UFC who are not going to get into the top ten in their divisions but they still have fans and name value that will make people still want to tune in and watch.

Once you have plenty of names that people know and a mixture of new up and coming fighters,that will make more even and better match ups and it will also give them a strong enough product,that they will be able to let the few top stars like Melendez etc move over to the UFC without demolishing the product.
    strikeforce really needs building up first before you can strip it of anymore of it's top stars.

They needed to keep some of the top strikeforce stars to get the new deal on Showtime,showtime wasn't exactlly going to let ZUFFA completely strip them of talent and expect them to continue with a completely dismantled product,but if they had a bigger roster of good fighters and good match ups,then they could afford to continue and put on great shows without top ten fighters in the ranks.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:54 pm

just another thought on the Strikeforce,UFC thing.

Since they are both ZUFFA owned,then surely there is nothing against co promoting on an event.
    I think it could be good Idea to use the new years event to make a mixed event,you know with something like a few big Strikeforce match ups,with a few big UFC match ups and then fill out the card with a few cross promotion fights.

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:just another thought on the Strikeforce,UFC thing.

Since they are both ZUFFA owned,then surely there is nothing against co promoting on an event.
    I think it could be good Idea to use the new years event to make a mixed event,you know with something like a few big Strikeforce match ups,with a few big UFC match ups and then fill out the card with a few cross promotion fights.

The problem with that is that most (all but the biggest) Strikeforce fights would probably be at best low main card, if not undercard fights in a UFC event.

Can you see a Rockhold-Jardine type fight co-headlining with something like Chael-Anderson, or GSP-Diaz? I doubt it.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I'd send Kenny Florian across, he can compete for the Strikeforce middleweight, welterweight and lightweight titles (and come up short again).
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:26 pm

efils_god wrote:

The problem with that is that most (all but the biggest) Strikeforce fights would probably be at best low main card, if not undercard fights in a UFC event.

Can you see a Rockhold-Jardine type fight co-headlining with something like Chael-Anderson, or GSP-Diaz? I doubt it.

no,I agree,fights like that wouldn't cut it on a big card,but if it was just one event at the end of a year,they could save some big match ups for that card.
    I wouldn't think fights like melendez vs JZ,Thomson,KJ,Rockhold vs jacare,kennedy,lawler,Mo vs mousasi,feijao,kyle or any combo of those kind of fighters against each other,being out of place on any big card.

Then throw in mixed fights like Mo vs Rampage,Daley vs Kos 2,OSP vs Gustaffson,Leban vs lawler,jacare vs maia,Woodley vs Story,saffiedine vs sodalloh,masvidal vs jeremy stephens,beerbohm vs George Sotiropoulos,shit there's loads of match ups that can be made that wouldn't have to involve any UFC fighter that is in or around title contention but would still be bloody entertaining fights.

Obviously this is out there and completely Hypothetical but I just think it would make a great one off event,where you could make some interesting match ups that fans would be really interested in watching.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 pm

alright reading back,Daley vs Kos 2 wouldn't be an entertaining fight,it would be exactlay the same as the first one,but come on,after how the first one ended and the animosity between the two,who wouldn't watch it again.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Nobody will be going from UFC to Strikeforce, UFC need more fighters than ever with all the events they'll be putting on this year, and so they're not going to weaken their own rosters to improve Strikeforce. Obviously Zuffa wanted Strikeforce to close so that UFC could acquire everyone but Showtime were stubborn bastards and so we're left with this. Give it another year and everyone will be on the UFC.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

The UFC cut down their rosta all the time,the UFC would tick along just fine and fill every single of this years events without all those fighters I listed above.
    I believe with the new talent that they constantly sign for the UFC and Strikeforce,plus the eventual addition of top strikeforce stars to the UFC,you will eventually have a great A league and a really solid B league.

what do you mean showtime where stubborn bastards?

ZUFFA renegotiated the deal with them,if they wanted all those fighters straight in the UFC,wouldn't they of closed strikeforce down as soon as their last contract with showtime expired?

I believe that ZUFFA want to carry Strikeforce on,they seem to be happy with the new showtime TV deal and it's a way of preventing rival orgs snapping up talent or getting the slot on showtime themselves and it's a place where there cut fighters can go,instead of losing them to rival Orgs.
    dana always states that cut fighters can earn there way back in the UFC,well ZUFFA now have a televised platform for them to try.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:32 pm

UFC have said there will be 34 events in 2012, there was only 25 in 2011 and how many times did we see a card fall apart due to injury? I think something like 10 main events were altered in 2011 due to injury, and thats just main events. Strikeforce are only putting on 6-8 events in 2012. They don't need 25 extra UFC fighters.

It was Showtime's choice if they wanted to carry on with Strikeforce or not, when the deal ran out, Showtime had the choice if they wanted to extend the deal, Zuffa couldn't say right that's we're done with Strikeforce. Showtime decided that they wanted to carry on with Strikeforce, so that's why we're in the situation we're in now. There will be very little differece than what Strikeforce was before Zuffa purchased it.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    efils_god wrote:

no,I agree,fights like that wouldn't cut it on a big card,but if it was just one event at the end of a year,they could save some big match ups for that card.
    I wouldn't think fights like melendez vs JZ,Thomson,KJ,Rockhold vs jacare,kennedy,lawler,Mo vs mousasi,feijao,kyle or any combo of those kind of fighters against each other,being out of place on any big card.

Then throw in mixed fights like Mo vs Rampage,Daley vs Kos 2,OSP vs Gustaffson,Leban vs lawler,jacare vs maia,Woodley vs Story,saffiedine vs sodalloh,masvidal vs jeremy stephens,beerbohm vs George Sotiropoulos,shit there's loads of match ups that can be made that wouldn't have to involve any UFC fighter that is in or around title contention but would still be bloody entertaining fights.

Obviously this is out there and completely Hypothetical but I just think it would make a great one off event,where you could make some interesting match ups that fans would be really interested in watching.

For me, that list of fights, all of which are either relevant or great match ups, just highlights the need for them to bring the best guys over to the UFC and scrap strikeforce. It makes most sense. The guys let go can always swell Bellators roster or something like that!!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of this new deal or the last one,so some of it I'm probably putting one and one together and getting five,but wasn't one of showtimes main demands to continue airing strikeforce,according to coker that is,is that melendez and rockhold must stay.Well surely if ZUFFA wanted out,wouldn't they have said bollox to that and brought them over to the UFC anyway.
    I think the fact that ZUFFA agreed to this,shows that they are interested in building and keeping strikeforce alive.

I mean it was ZUFFA's decision to close the HW division,it was their choice to bring over Reem and Diaz,showtime couldn't stop them doing that could they.

surely all ZUFFA are obligated to do is to fill cards if showtime wanted to take up their option to extend.
    Couldn't they throw who ever they wanted on those cards?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:12 pm

I would imagine Showtime have mandated that the level of talent on each card has to be relatively high. They won't throw money away just for the sake of it, they're not HBO.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am