THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses Empty UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Nate Marquardt faced off against Rouismar Palhares in the main event of the evening in a quest to earn his spot as the number one contender to Anderson Silva's UFC Middleweight Title.

Results are as follows:

Nate Marquardt defeats Rousimar Palhares via TKO (Strikes) Round 1
    Charles Oliveira defeats Efrain Escudero via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) Round 3
    Jim Miller defeats Gleison Tibau via Unanimous Decision
    Cole Miller defeats Ross Pearson via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) Round 2
    Yves Edwards defeats John Gunderson via unanimous decision
    Kyle Kingsbury def. Jared Hamman via unanimous decision
    Rich Attonito def. Rafael Natal via unanimous decision
    Dave Branch def. Tomasz Drwal via unanimous decision
    Brian Foster def. Forrest Petz via TKO (punches) - 1:07 R1
    Anthony Waldburger def. David Mitchell via unanimous decision

UFC Fight Night 22 $40,000 post-fight bonuses:

Submission of the Night: Cole Miller
    Submission of the Night: Charles Oliveira
    Knockout of the Night: Brian Foster
    Fight of the Night: Jared Hamman and Kyle Kingsbury

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses Empty Re: UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:56 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Nate Marquardt faced off against Rouismar Palhares in the main event of the evening in a quest to earn his spot as the number one contender to Anderson Silva's UFC Middleweight Title.

Results are as follows:

Nate Marquardt defeats Rousimar Palhares via TKO (Greasing followed by a cheap shot) Round 1
    Charles Oliveira defeats Efrain Escudero via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) Round 3
    Jim Miller defeats Gleison Tibau via Unanimous Decision
    Cole Miller defeats Ross Pearson via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) Round 2
    Yves Edwards defeats John Gunderson via unanimous decision
    Kyle Kingsbury def. Jared Hamman via unanimous decision
    Rich Attonito def. Rafael Natal via unanimous decision
    Dave Branch def. Tomasz Drwal via unanimous decision
    Brian Foster def. Forrest Petz via TKO (punches) - 1:07 R1
    Anthony Waldburger def. David Mitchell via unanimous decision

UFC Fight Night 22 $40,000 post-fight bonuses:

Submission of the Night: Cole Miller
    Submission of the Night: Charles Oliveira
    Knockout of the Night: Brian Foster
    Fight of the Night: Jared Hamman and Kyle Kingsbury

Fixed
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses Empty Re: UFC Fight Night 22 Results and bonuses

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:06 pm

lol!

apparently he did an extensive warmup with the sweats on his legs before the fight, just to be sweaty.
    cheap, but not illegal....and it was dumb of Paul Harris to stop defending himself like that.

yeah but dissapointing way to end the fight...its almost like he turtled up in protest because its clear he wasn't hurt.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:10 pm

I don't buy the "extensive warm up" line. If that was the case then any time a fighter was facing a top level, BJJ BB, Judoka or Wrestler they would walk into the cage dripping wet having worked out in sweats.
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Seems to have been forgotten with the gresing incident but I was extremely impressed with Charles Oliveira's performance. Excellent RNC to finish Escudero, his stand up looked pretty decent he needs to work on his boxing but those legs he landed in the second were really nice, looking forward to seeing how he develops
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Yeah Olivera was the Highlight of the night for me,really impressed with his alround skills,exciting fighter,that already seems like he has a big bag of tricks and only 20 years old.

who do you think would be a good next fight for him?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Cole Miller was the Hl of the night for me, I seriously didnt see him dropping Pearson! What a showing, considering Pearson outstruck Siver that was a hell of a showing by Miller.

Olivera looked good, some great quick striking but he was a little akward, didnt close in for the kill enough and strangley gave his back up. Escudero was pure shit, looking to hold and dance and little else. Im really glad Olivera won it was well diserved.

Did anyone think Tibau vs Miller was closer than the scores suggested? Again I was really shocked at how fighters dont close in for the kill, It was a night lacking in agressing after big shots fighers seemed happy to sit back and think they got the better of an exchange. I was really disapointed in the event as a whole.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Also Escudero knee in the balls looked like he ment it... Wall and stall followed by a low blow, Id have deducted a point right away.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Cole did look great,Ross is the better striker,but cole's reach was to hard for him to get past,what is he 6'1?

It was a bueatiful shot that he hit Ross with in the centre of the cage,then he followed it up and dropped Ross,with another pinpoint shot to his chin,while he was backed up against the cage,setting up an easy rear-naked.

It was very impressive,I didn't realise he had that kind of power and acuracy in his punches.

The reason I was buzzed about Olivera,I think,was that he took the fight on short notice,against a guy that came in miles over weight,the size differance looked massive,someone pointed it out on chatbox,that comparing the two,made Olivera look skinnier than cole,yet he was the one trying to push the fight,his kicks and flying knees,where fun to watch,he never stopped working when he was put on his back,we know his BJJ is spot on and the finish was sweet..
    I think he has a bright future,he hasn't got me as excited as Davis and Bones got me,but he's up there for me.

The Knee to the plums did look intentional.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 pm

yeah hugely impressed by Oliveira, Cole Miller vs Oliveira will be fight of the night on any card probably.
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeah the knee oliviera took was a sore one looked in real pain, hilarious to see him grab his balls live on national tv, thought it might give escudero the edge but seemed galvinise oliviera, he does love a good scramble to
    Cole miller vs oliviera sounds like an awsome fight, would like to see him challange himself with a real decent striker
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Yeah Cole miller vs Olivera should make for a great fight.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Despite fast-changing life, UFC's Charles Oliveira promises to remain the same
    by John Morgan on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:00 am ET
    AUSTIN, Texas – When undefeated UFC lightweight prospect Charles Oliveira (14-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) returns home after his UFC Fight Night 22 victory, he'll do so with his second $40,000 bonus check earned in just under seven weeks' time.

So what does a 20-year-old Brazilian do with two fat "Submission of the Night" hauls? Well, if you're "do Bronx," the answer is simple.

"I'm hoping to soon buy a new house for my family,We have a large family of eight people, including my grandmother, and I want to make sure and take care of them."

You see, just two fights into his UFC career, Oliveira already shows a maturity beyond his age.

In much the same way his lanky body and boyish looks seem to contradict his 14-0 cagefighting record (complete with 13 finishes), Oliveira's relaxed presence and humble answers at his first-ever UFC post-event press conference seem as if they should come from someone other than the promotion's youngest fighter.

Go ahead. Just try and get Oliveira to talk trash about his dispatched opponent, Efrain Escudero. After all, "Hecho en Mexico" couldn't even make weight for the fight. Surely that led to some dislike for "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner.

"First, I'm a professional," Oliveira said. "I came here ready to fight. It doesn't matter if he makes the weight or not. I do my job. I'm ready to fight regardless."

OK, fine. Sidestep it then. But how about the way Escudero pumped up the crowd while Oliveira was slouched against the cage after catching a direct knee strike to the groin? Surely that had to fire up the Brazilian youngster.

"Again, I'm a professional," Oliveira said. "He hit me with the knee, and I felt it very much. Efrain made a mistake, but it doesn't matter to me. I just want to fight.

"I was very focused on my trainers, who told me to take it easy and recover. When I felt good, I started again. I did the right thing. I waited, I recovered, and I returned to the fight. Everything was good."

Well, if badmouthing an opponent isn't Oliveira's thing, maybe a little braggadocio is more his style. Oliveira's powerbomb off the fence followed by a standing rear-naked choke in which he appeared as much gymnast as fighter, that was highlight-reel material. Go on Oliveira, share with us the genius inside you that made that slick transition possible.

"The last day before the fight, I trained in the hotel for when he defends to go to his back," Oliveira said. "I'm just a boy, and I never invent anything. I just do everything I know and that my teachers teach me.

"I have been training jiu-jitsu since I was 12 years old. This was something I have worked on for some time."

Just two months ago, Oliveira was a relative unknown to most American fans. But after dispatching of Darren Elkins at UFC on Versus 2 with an unbelievably slick armbar and now finishing Escudero with another amazing grappling display that came only after a stunning display of striking prowess, Oliveira appears primed to emerge as the UFC's next lightweight star.

Just two-and-a-half years after turning pro, Oliveira says he's up to the challenge.

"I want to show everybody that my group, this Gold Team, is a complete school," Oliveira said. "It's not only submissions and jiu-jitsu. I have striking, too. I can fight standup.

"I know I made a lot of mistakes standing up, but I tried to do my best. I kept moving forward. I'm training hard, I'm getting better, and I want to fight with the best fighters."

Of course, it's a long road from bright prospect to bona fide superstar. But with his physical talents already prominently on display, the only question seems to be the psychological rigors of life as a pro fighter, especially one who skyrockets from unknown to superstar in rapid fashion.

Spend just a few minutes talking to the youngster – watch the way he looks you in the eye as he talks and observe the graciousness with which he shakes your hand – and the likelihood of him making the adjustment seems painfully obvious.

"I want to say thanks to my God, Jesus Christ," Oliveira said. "I came here wanting to get my victory, and God gave me the bonus. I just say, 'Thank you. Thank you so much.' Jesus is doing marvelous work in my life.

"I'm thankful to be undefeated and to be 2-0 in the UFC, but I'm not changing anything. I just want to be the same guy. Maybe one day I'll start to change, but my teachers will then tell me immediately when I'm doing something the wrong way and will tell me to come back to the right way. It's a humility that I will have forever."
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:03 pm

ttack, and don't let up. That's Cole Miller's philosophy on fighting.

Miller (17-4 MMA, 6-2 UFC) has become a recent spokesperson for putting the "fight" back in "ultimate fighting." To his relief, he managed to back up his words by stopping Ross Pearson in impressive fashion (11-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 22.

"I like to do what I say I'm going to do," Miller said after the event, which took place Wednesday at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Miller, a veteran of "The Ultimate Fighter 5," stunned "TUF 9" winner Pearson with a flurry of punches and secured a rear0naked choke. It was his second consecutive octagon victory after a knockout at the hands of "TUF 8" winner Efrain Escudero.

The American Top Team lightweight took to the mic afterward to say he's mad as hell about fighters who chase decisions, and he's not going to take it any more.

"Constantly trying to finish is the most important thing in fighting," Miller said at the post-event press conference. "I see a lot of people out there who are sport fighting, and those are two different things."

While many fans got on board with his campaign, some felt he would be on the wrong end of a finish.

"I actually [got] a lot of hatemail on my Facebook," Miller said. "[People told] me that Ross is way better than me and he's going to kill me. But I'm not the same fighter that I was when I was on [the reality show]. I've grown a lot, and American Top Team has helped me a lot as far as growing as a martial artist and a person."

He was pleasantly surprised that his British opponent seemed to agree with his critics.

"I saw some comments that he made about being a better striker than B.J. Penn, and I've seen his past fights, and clearly he's a striker," Miller said. "I really wasn't sure what [Pearson] was thinking ... if he thought I was going to come in and try and take him down. But I've never done that with any fight, ever. I've got like over 30 fights and probably four takedowns. I'm just trying to finish the whole time."

Ironically, Miller attributes his success on Wednesday night to patience in the heat of battle.

"I'm a little overzealous and a little aggressive," he said. "I wanted to make sure I sat back and reset to a good center position. Don't just keep pushing forward."

Now, Miller wants to gain traction in the lightweight division, where he won't four of his past five fights. He said it's long overdue.

"This [is] the biggest problem with me,It's the level of consistency and my setbacks. The losses aren't the only setbacks. I fought Jorge Gurgel and had to take 10 months off because he kicked the [expletive] out of my leg.

"I want to establish consistency. I want to fight more often and be able to fight more often. I was supposed to fight Ross' teammate, Andre Winner, in March in North Carolina, and that would have been great for me. Things happen."

Hopefully, things will start happening quickly from here on out.

"I feel pretty good after this fight," Miller said. "He hurt me with some leg kicks; (I've) got some TMJ kicking in here in my jaw. Other than that, I'm healthy, and I'm looking forward to getting back into the octagon soon."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:27 am