THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
mikeyboybisping
Moose Stuff For Money...
8 posters

Schilt to return to MMA?

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Schilt to return to MMA? Empty Schilt to return to MMA?

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Winning three heavyweight kickboxing bouts in one night to claim the K-1 World Grand Prix Final title may be the most physically demanding endeavor in combat sports. As a four-time World Grand Prix champion, Semmy Schilt knows that well.

The physical demands of the K-1 World Grand Prix are the reason that the 36-year-old Schilt is making a point of preserving himself this year. Schilt has stepped into the ring just once since winning the 2009 title on December 5, and he says he doesn't expect to fight again until it's time to begin the path toward defending his title in a Final 16 bout in September.

"The last time I fought was on the fourth of April, and now I am waiting on my next fight, in the Final 16 this year," Schilt told MMAFighting.com. "I don't have many injuries so its not necessary to preserve myself, but now I am training without pressure, and that feels good."

With his four World Grand Prix titles, Schilt is regarded as the world's top kickboxer, which is an incredibly prestigious title both in his native Holland and in Japan, where he usually fights. But in the United States, "world's top kickboxer" doesn't mean much more than "world's top cricket player" or "world's top rugby player": Americans can recognize that it's meaningful to be the best, but it's awfully hard to find an American who follows the sport.

Schilt, however, did once have a kickboxing match in the United States (in 2006 in Las Vegas), and he says he saw the potential for American fans to become drawn to his sport -- but only if an American kickboxer becomes successfulat the highest levels of competition.

"I think the American fans are a lot like the Dutch fans," Schilt said. "There is room for K-1 in America, as kickboxing is very different than boxing or MMA. America needs to have heroes, the same as Japan and every other country -- the people like to see a countryman fight."

As it stands right now, the American athletes who could be successful in kickboxing are instead fighting in mixed martial arts, a sport that Schilt knows a little something about as well. Schilt was actually a professional MMA fighter before he was a professional kickboxer, and he even fought twice in the UFC in 2001. And Schilt says he wouldn't rule out returning to the Octagon in the future.

"I consider myself a fighter, and the rules decide what kind of fight it will be," Schilt said of distinguishing kickboxing from MMA. "There is a chance I will fight again in the UFC. There is always a chance."

Schilt attended UFC 93 in 2009 and met with UFC President Dana White, and he said that while that meeting didn't result in a job offer, he was impressed by how far the sport had come in the eight years since he participated, especially in the striking department.

"My impression of UFC 93 was good, the style is changed a bit, with a lot more stand-up fighting," Schilt said.

It would be fascinating to see how Schilt would fare against the current stable of UFC heavyweights, but Schilt says he doesn't see that happening soon. Instead, he's thinking about what the K-1 World Grand Prix Final will hold for him this year, and he says he thinks his 2009 rival Badr Hari, as well as his friend and sometime training partner Alistair Overeem, will provide some of his toughest competition.

"At the moment I am not training with Alistair," Schilt said. "I think it is a strange year for him. He wanted to fight Fedor Emelianenko for such a long time that I think he cannot focus so much (on MMA after Fabricio Werdum beat Fedor), so I think he will go for the K-1 World Grand Prix title this year."

As for Hari, whose bad boy image often overshadows his kickboxing talents, Schilt says he expects Hari back in the K-1 ring in September.

"If the police don't catch him, he will fight," Schilt said.

If Schilt wins the K-1 World Grand Prix again this year, he'll become the first five-time champion. But he's not overly concerned with records, and he says that even in the year he'll turn 37, he doesn't view 2010 as his last chance.

"It's my goal to become Grand Prix champion again, that this will be a record is nice," Schilt said. "I'll fight as long as my body stays strong and my mind is right."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/20/semmy-schilt-focused-on-k-1-wouldnt-rule-out-ufc-return/
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Schilt to return to MMA? Empty Re: Schilt to return to MMA?

Post  mikeyboybisping Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Strikeforce should sign him. Schilt v Overeem would be class.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Great kickboxer and without a doubt one of the very best K-1 fighters ever, however he is/was an extremely average mixed martial artist. Should stick to K-1 IMO.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Schilt to return to MMA? Semmy_schilt_k1_champion

The Day Schilt can make 265lbs again Ill put on 80lbs and fight him! Laughing
    Wonga
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Wonga Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Would love to see him back in MMA but cant see it happening.

He had no take down defense when he was in Pride and after no training in MMA for eight years I think he would find the transition difficult despite all his talent. Especially as a lot of the UFC's top heavies are from a wrestling backround
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Wonga wrote:Would love to see him back in MMA but cant see it happening.

He had no take down defense when he was in Pride and after no training in MMA for eight years I think he would find the transition difficult despite all his talent. Especially as a lot of the UFC's top heavies are from a wrestling backround
    his last MMA fight was 2 years ago vs Mo.

He's got a good ground game, or at least he used to when he was training MMA full time. His striking obviously would be the best in the division but he doesnt quite have the KO power in his hands to make him dangerous enough to pull off a load of upsets, because he's obviously going to be spending most of the time on his back (triangle choke time!) unless he gets decent wrestling. With his body type though he is never going to be a good wrestler. He'd do okay in the UFC but never get to title contention imo.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 am

Lads Schilt is in his late 30's and his last few fights he came in between 295-305lbs. I dont see him making 265 without killing himself. And UFC arent making a Shw devision for him! Shame they didnt just let him and Toney fight in an MMA fight... theres only one way that one ends...

Schilt to return to MMA? Semremy
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 am

"And UFC arent making a Shw devision for him!"

What the hell is going on with Hunt then? Is he going to try make 265??
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 am

i think he is, or it'll be a one off, since his opponent is a behemoth aswell!!

It annoys me a bit when people talk about Toney's striking as "unparalelled" any high level kickboxer would destroy him! just look how world champion boxers have done in K1!!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:25 am

Hunt is looking in good shape mate. Theres pics of the other post about him. He looks TRIM (for Mark Hunt!)

He said he used to bearly train and eat whatever he wanted. In the recent fights he wasnt even training! Crazy guy. He said he just ate whatever he wanted etc.. and was gutted he didnt make more of his oppertinities. Said he has stopped eating KFC and Chocolate!

Hunt will make 265, Might Mo made it for the Barnett fight I think and he is heavier set than Hunt.

UFC have no interest in a SHW devision for freaks and no way Schilt is making 265. We might see him again in Dream but nowhere else I reckon.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:57 am

As a kiwi, I hope Hunt does pull his finger out and do well. As long as Joe Silva doesn't match him up with a good grappler/ sub artist, then he could be very entertaining.

He should easily make weight IF he trains hard - I think he is only 5'9" or 5'10" and the dude he is fighting first is 6'7" and usually fights at over 300lbs. Hunt certainly is making all the right noises...

If he makes it past McCorkle, who would you put up against him? Pat Barry would be a great opponent I think - aggressive and would want to keep it standing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:12 am