THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
Shanemc
Sly Uses
Wonga
Toquinho
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
Moose Stuff For Money...
mikeyboybisping
14 posters

Mark Hunt

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mark Hunt - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark Hunt

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:36 pm

if Mark Hunt really trains, i think he should win.

i guarentee that the best Mark Hunt that i've seen would batter this big bloke...and i know nothing about him thats how confident i am !!

come on Hunt!! cheers

im with ging on this one
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 am

Shit he looks totally different!! Can't wait for his UFC debut now. Do you think they could get a Japanese announcer just so I can hear "Winner - Hunt-o" again?

The thing that gets me really hyped up after seeing this picture is that hopefully he has been working on his ground game with Monson - ADCC champ + K-1 champ = AWESOME!!!! I might not even make Hunt losing by sub a void result now!! geek
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Hunt vs Barry will surely be next if Hunt wins this one.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:20 pm

what a shit interview! Razz
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:what a shit interview! Razz

my thoughts exactly
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 am

lol! @ the bald guy in the blue tank top, blurting out random numbers. Funny shit. Hunt looks in great shape.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 am

As we get closer and closer to the upcoming UFC 119 event, the UFC seems to be putting a lot of effort into minimizing the debut of former PRIDE FC fighter Mark Hunt. Ever since it was announced that Hunt had signed to the sport’s biggest MMA promotion, the consensus has been that it’s a bad move and makes the UFC look terrible. UFC President Dana White in particular vehemently asserts that Hunt would not be fighting in the promotion under normal circumstances, but that the UFC “owes” Hunt some fights stemming all the way back to the UFC’s 2007 buyout of PRIDE. But is Hunt’s debut being treated too harshly? Is Hunt not getting enough credit? Here are my thoughts.

I’ll start with the positives first: Mark Hunt is an entertaining fighter. He’s lost a lot, but he always seems to go down in spectacular fashion. We’re talking about a guy who bum-rushed Melvin Manhoef, Melvin Manhoef of all people, because he wanted to give the fans a show. He’s fought fighters from all different styles and disciplines, and he always forces them to engage. If Mark Hunt flops out of the UFC, he won’t do it by going quietly into the night. Hunt’s main goal is to finish or get finished, and in an era that increasingly favors fighters who play it safe and grind out decisions, you have to respect him for his tenacity.

But that’s the problem: today’s generation of MMA athletes are beginning to realize the strengths of playing it safe, forcing your opponent into your area of expertise, and then dominating them long enough to grind out a decision. Hunt’s incessant need to entertain is the reason he’s lost so many times. In the here and now, flashy and reckless fighters don’t win fights. And if they do, it’s only until they meet a fighter that can take them out of their element. In today’s world, you either need to be supremely technical with your flashy moves (Jon Jones comes to mind), or you need to abandon them entirely. Hunt should be applauded for trying to make his fights entertaining, but he should also be criticized for taking a lot of unnecessary risks.

That’s the main reason he’s lost five fights in a row, and that’s an atrocious record to have as you head into the biggest MMA promotion in the world. It just makes the UFC look bad. You really can’t fault Dana White for trying to distance himself as much as possible from a man that hasn’t won a fight since 2006. So of course Mark Hunt is carrying a Scarlet Letter with him when he enters the Octagon. How can he not?

The only real redeeming factor about those five losses is that they were against top-quality opponents. These aren’t rookies Hunt lost to. Since his last win in 2006, Hunt has lost to Josh Barnett, Fedor Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, Melvin Manhoef, and Gegard Mousasi. I don’t think there’s any shame in losing to any of those five men. Losing to them all in a row does carry some shame, but I think that has to do with the losing streak in and of itself, not with the quality of names he’s been fighting. Mark Hunt has lost five in a row, but he’s lost against some of the best competition in the world.

So, in the end, where should the fans stand in their opinion on Mark Hunt? It’s tough to say. Is it better to fail spectacularly or succeed boringly? Is it better to pad out your record with relatively easy wins, or fight the best and lose? Personally, based on all he’s done in the past, I think Mark Hunt at least deserves a chance to impress in the UFC. He’s going to debut whether Dana White likes it or not, whether anyone likes it or not for that matter. What should matter right now is what Mark Hunt will do with the opportunity he’s been given, and right now, that’s all I care about.

But what about you, fans and friends? What are your feelings on the impending UFC debut of Mark Hunt?

http://www.fighters.com/09/05/pros-and-cons-mark-hunt-to-the-ufc

I really hope he does well - he certainly seems to have done the hard yards and I hope it pays off for him. He is great with his fans and a real entertainer. He probably doesn't deserve this chance but I hope he does well enough to stick Dana's comments up the wankers arse...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:42 am

Hunt Swatting JLB then pulling up his trunks at the 2:30 mark! Seriously people talk about K-1 level, dude was a K-1 champ. People were pumped for Toney coming to UFC, Hunt would beat him on the feet. Hunt poses a bigger threat to whoever stands with him than Toney did and we havnt seen him in shape before where as Toney was in just about his worst career shape.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:16 pm

only K1 world GP to enter the UFC (after the fact of course)...
    i know it wasnt the most stacked GP or whatever, but the only other k1 fighter on his level to enter the UFC is Crocop (not counting schilt)

if this was straight off the back of PRIDE he would be co main eventing! and there would be huge hype...Hunt/Toney please.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:27 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:

Seriously people talk about K-1 level, dude was a K-1 champ. People were pumped for Toney coming to UFC, Hunt would beat him on the feet. Hunt poses a bigger threat to whoever stands with him than Toney did and we havnt seen him in shape before where as Toney was in just about his worst career shape.

Are you having a laugh??

He was not K1 champ. He was K1 GP champ and he was/is the WORST K1 GP champion of all time. He only got into the GP because CroCop got injured. Then he beat an injured JLB, Stefan Leko who was only fighting because Hoost got injured after battered Leko. And Francisco Filho who's not exactly top level.

Average K1 fighter who won during a weak year. He would not beat Toney on his feet. Toney is AN ALL TIME BOXING GREAT. Hunt is a good kickboxer who has had an average K1 career followed by an average MMA career. A top level boxer will ALWAYS outstrike anybody but the very elite of K1. And even then, they'd still probably beat them.

And if you'd followed Hunt's career you'd know that when he won his K1 GP he was the same size he is now.

I like Hunt, he's a tough guy who's a decent striker but made his career on his ability to take a punch. I hope he does well in the UFC because he's ex Pride, but to say he's a better striker than James Toney is just ridiculous.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:58 pm