THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
redmeanie77
Moose Stuff For Money...
6 posters

Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight Empty Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Everyone deserves a second chance in life, and Ricco Rodriguez is hoping for his own follow-up shot at the bigtime.

In 2002, Rodriguez was on top of the MMA world when he defeated Randy Couture to become the UFC heavyweight champion. At the time, he was just 25 years old and seemed to have the world in front of him. Three fights and three losses later, Rodriguez was out of the UFC and his life began to spiral out of control, but now there's hope that Rodriguez is turning things around and working towards redemption.

Last night in Waterloo, Iowa, the now 32-year-old Rodriguez knocked out veteran journeyman Travis Fulton, earning his sixth straight win.

Before the fight, Rodriguez, who at one time weighed over 300 pounds and has fought at heavyweight for years, told The Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier that he had plans on changing his weight class.

"This will shock a lot of people, but I'm really looking forward to dropping down to 205 and the light-heavyweight division," Rodriguez told the paper, who noted that he showed up to the pre-fight press conference at a "svelte 218."

Rodriguez told the paper that he still dreams of returning to the UFC and working towards another shot at the title.

Any sort of return to a major promotion would mark an impressive personal redemption tale for Rodriguez, who in Nov. 2006, was suspended by the California State athletic commission after testing positive for both cocaine and marijuana in a post-fight test. At one time, he ballooned to around 350 pounds. He detailed his personal problems during a stint on VH1's "Celebrity Rehab" show in early 2008.

With a winning streak in hand and a 12-2 record dating back to June 2008, Rodriguez, who is now based in Baton Rouge, La., is 41-11 overall.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/05/02/ex-ufc-champ-ricco-rodriguez-hoping-for-return-at-light-heavywei/
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight Empty Re: Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Fan video...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight Empty Re: Ricco Rodriguez wins 6th straight fight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun May 02, 2010 10:46 pm

I think he deserves to have another chance in the UFC. Signing Ricco would help bolster up an already strong HW division.

And the prospect of Ricco at 205 is very interesting and exciting indeed.

SF have such a poor 205 division to even be called a roster, so they should be looking at Ricco even more if hes planning on going to 205.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun May 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Great finish!! Im always happy to see an old legend on the up Axe will be a happy man, Ricco might get his HOF place yet!!

I think 205 would wreck him at his age wouldnt it? He would be a very very good 205er though if the cut wouldnt kill him.

Id love him to go after a rematch with Sylvia.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun May 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Good to hear, Ricco has always been a very talented fighter but has been a bit of a waste of potentiol. 6 fights in a row is a good streak, I do hope the UFC sign him. He is probably above the Tusch's, Schaubs and Struve's of the divisions. I think he would beat Roy Nelson.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    I'm gonna have to admit that this Ricco is one of my favourite fighters. Hope he keeps this streak up, will be a good addition to the UFC regardless of what weight he fights at.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Also, WHAT A KNOCKOUT!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 06, 2010 8:29 pm

If Ricco didnt have those personal problems a few years ago, then i fully think he would have been one of best of all time along with Randy.

He is still pretty young too. And has accomplished so much.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 pm

My favourate Ricco moment... Him getting sparked by BAS Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:29 am