THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
The_Axe_Emperor
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
10 posters

Ricco back in the UFC?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Ricco back in the UFC? Empty Ricco back in the UFC?

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 27, 2010 1:52 am

I know Wikipedia isbt the best source, but has anyone already seen this...

"Ricco is currently in talks with the UFC, for a return to the organization at the light heavyweight division"

Seriously beating Brad Morris and winning a rubbermatch with Monson should do the trick nicely. Travis Fulton and Moise Rimbon are good enough wins. Im fairly confident if theres truth in him talking to UFC we will see him back if he wins these next two.

If Sylvia vs Rizzo is really happening he could maby go after the winner of that as both men have wins over him, settling the score with Monson and winning that fight would draw a lot of hype around him.

I remember he had a big fan or 2 on here before. What do people think of his chances of winning both these and getting back in the UFC. Monson is on bad form and he is probabally favorite over Brad Morris who isnt a big heavy.

My thoughts are to match him up with someone like the winner of Jardine vs Hamill or maby Vera for a comeback fight?

He will be a good size for a Lhw anyway.

Ricco back in the UFC? 2229956942_7a97846395
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ricco back in the UFC? Empty Re: Ricco back in the UFC?

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 27, 2010 2:14 am

Fuck yeah cheers

Theres a few of us Ricco fans here desperate to see him back in the UFC, he's on a good win streak and if he gets the job done in Oz which i think he will, because Monson is on the slide whereas Ricco is getting back to his best. And should get him back in UFC without any complaints from anyone.

He's slimmed down considerably, i think his last fight was under 220 pounds, so HW is a no no for him in UFC, and should be be able to make the cut to 205.

Things could get even more stacked at UFC 205 with potential signings of Arona and Ricco....
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 27, 2010 4:11 pm

I second that fuck yeah! cheers

Some seriously fun matchups at 205 for him but my only question is how would he handle cut?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 27, 2010 4:25 pm

It was you who was the big Ricco fan wasnt it Axe? You suggested him for the HOF I think?

Ive been watching a few of his old fights and just heard a radio interview where he said he was down to 217lbs...

I dont Imagine a 12lbs weight cut will kill a guy in his early 30's. Dude is still in his Physical Prime, I was saying to a guy on 606 that I dont think its unthinkable he could beat some ranked 205ers, Randy and Griffin always seem very beatable to me.

Heres hoping he see him and Arona join UFC's ranks soon. cheers

U think these 2 fights will do it or you think UFC will want him to get a more high profile win?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu May 27, 2010 5:04 pm

It would be great to see Ricco back in the UFC.

His skills have never been in question,I mean shit the guy was still taking guys out while 300+ lbs (nobody of note but still)and also taking HW guys like Bigfoot,Rothwell and Wiuff the distance while he was completely out of shape and snorting and smoking whatever he could get his hands on,though I think the bigfoot and Wuiff fights might of been just after he was released from rehab but still what kind of fighting shape could he possibly of been in during and just after Rehab.

I'm sure if he had never lost his shit for a while,he would still be considered a top guy in the UFC.

It was all mental issues with him that derailed his career,but judging from his rehab with Dr Drew and the complete physical transformation he has undertaken and kept up for the last couple of years(I think he checked out of full time rehab in early 2008,I can't remember if it was before the Bigfoot fight or after the Wiuff fight but it was definitely sometime around that time in January),I'd say he is now mentally focused and of a more stable mindset,he seems to be back on track and would be a great addition to the UFC LHW ranks.

So I really hope he breezes through his next two fights and we see him make his come back fight in the UFC against my boy Randy.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Thiago Silva would be a good fight for Ricco, let's see if he's gotten over his fear of getting punched in the face.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Good call mate that would be a fight Id love to see and probabally a more credible an opponent as Boetsch anyway! Laughing

Has anyone got links to Ricco's more recent fights? Never saw his 2nd fight with Fulton.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Yep Ben, guilty as charged, that was me Razz I've always been a huge fan of the guy.

I think a good first fight in the UFC for him would be someone like Boetsch, Brilz or maybe Eliot Marshall. Someone that isn't necessarily ever gonna challenge for the title, but still a somewhat decent opponent. Because as much as i love Ricco, Fulton, Sparks, Miller, heck even Monson aren't really top oppostion. So why not test Ricco in the UFC first against someone like The Barbarian and see what kind of quality he has and more importantly what kind of form he's on.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 pm

Ye sounds like a good edition, I'm intrested to see how he does. Honestly I still see the better guys and some of the younger fighters beating him but he can still rack up a good few wins against some good opponents. Rematch with Randy sounds good.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Ricco at 205 we havnt seen though, he will have a lot of size and a lot of experience, world calss grappler, if he can get a bit of speed in his hands and footwork I can see him doing well. Id back him to beat Boetsch etc..

Monson is a decent test, he isnt on the best Form but he is a ADCC champ and still decently ranked. He beat Ricco, Nelson and Sergi (when Sergi was on Form top 15 I think then) His other fight isnt on Wikipedia I noticed.... I wonder if he is actually getting back in based on the Monson fight and thought he wouldnt chance 2 fights back to back?? Id like to see him fight Cane vs The Snake winner for his 1st fight, throw him in at a decent level, Sink or Swim, they did it with Coleman didnt they?

Ricco back in the UFC? 375541162

What do you think Rizzo's chances are? If brutally Sparks Shammy and Timmeh... does he have a shot at a 2nd chance of a fight in SF? A Yvel Rematch? Fight with Rothwell? Probabally more likely Sylvia wins though... who have people got in that fight?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri May 28, 2010 12:11 am

I dont think he will be wanting an Yvel rematch soon.....

Yvel should beat Rothwell, right? I hope they both stand and bang Yvel is faster and more technical and should ko him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri May 28, 2010 12:16 am

Yvel is a Wildman!!! I hadnt watched that since it happened! Yeah he should but Ben to sleep easily enough... then against I thought that he would give JDS a close scrap! I wouldnt take my opionion on him, I just always hope for Agressive Muay Thai fighters! Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri May 28, 2010 1:43 am

well. Id back him to beat Boetsch etc..

Ye ofc, but I think he would lose to Bader, Jones and Davis and then guys like Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Evans and Lil Nog .

Him vs Griffin would actually be a good fight.

And hopefully Yvel KTFO of Tosswell.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:05 pm

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:16 pm

"Woner if the 32 year old still has what it takes to compete with the best the sport has to offer"

What? since when was 32 old in MMA. I cant believe he is that young!!! Skit I hope we see him and Randy rematch before Couture retires. Its a shame he didnt get to fight Mousasi at Dream because winning that Dream GP woulda surely got him back in the UFC.

Wish him all the best, Id love to see him back in UFC.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Remember when he fought Big Nog in Pride? Swear to god Ricco was robbed
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:06 pm

arguably.

it just highlighted the difference between japanese judging and western judging.

Nog was the one trying to finish the fight (the most important criteria in japan) thats why he won.
    In the UFC, Ricco would have won easily sine he controlled him for most of the fight.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:10 pm

I think if every org mixed parts of the way Japanese judge and the rest of the world judge the sport would be a lot better
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:arguably.

it just highlighted the difference between japanese judging and western judging.Nog was the one trying to finish the fight (the most important criteria in japan) thats why he won.
    In the UFC, Ricco would have won easily sine he controlled him for most of the fight.

Did you know, that they first announced this notion that japanese judging favour effort to finish the fight, when one of the judges had to explain this bullshit decision, the day after the fight? The pride commentators, Nog, fans, everyone who had been watching pride fights were expecting Ricco win.

But Ricco was contracted to the UFC, so no chance of him ever getting a decision that night. When you think about it, UFC copromoting with pride was a disaster. They got very little in return from pride.

No wonder Dana and zuffa have their current exclusive policy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:56 pm