THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Fight fixing

Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Fight fixing Empty Fight fixing

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:12 pm

After seeing chesthair's comment about the Macias/Taktarov fight apparently being a work, I wondered if there were any other high profile fights thought to have been fixed in MMA?

I'd like to think that kind of thing wasn't happening, but I've also heard (and it's not hard to believe) that Kimo's submission win over the Gracie Hunter was rigged as well...

Anyone know of any others?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fight fixing Empty Re: Fight fixing

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Sorry about the confusion, i dont think it was a work, but i think Macias or whatever his name is way paid to throw the fight without Taktarov's knowledge. But some other works/thrown fights are;

Shamrock/Berry

apparently cage rage paid him off to lose to a british guy.

Nobuhiko Takada/Coleman

Coleman admitted he threw it to pay the bills, and apparently all of Takadas other mma wins were works too.

and Sean Salmon apparently threw a fight aswell recently.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Shamrock losing to Berry for money is just an abomination........ It seems like yesterday when Ken was a young(ish) guy at UFC1 and he was being touted as this submission king with Hollywood looks and the world at his feet........

Then fast forward to the end of his career and he's throwing fights in some crap British org, then finishing up with a steroid-assisted win over a guy who eats cheeseburgers in the warm-up room (RIP). Such a sad, sad tale.

The Coleman news doesn't surprise me. Mark seems a complex guy.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:19 pm

can't remember where i heard it but apparently Coleman needed money and they gave him $50k to throw the fight, if you watch it its obvious and even bas on the commentary knows it.
    But to be fair to Mark he lost 4 straight going from 6-0 to 6-4 but he turned it around, probably up there as one of the best career comebacks.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Yeah, my favourite memories of Coleman are from the Pride GP in 2000 after he'd lost those 4 fights. That event was probably the first MMA event I watched where I was literally blown away by the scale of Pride.

I bought it on VHS from a dodgy guy in a market in Elephant and Castle, and after the event finished there was 25mins of the Poseidon Adventure on the tape as well. Makes me nostalgic about how different things are just 9yrs later, where you can buy a plush DVD with a million hours of extras for a tenner.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Hammil vs Bisping Very Happy

Seriously,Rampage vs Ninja was so bad i think the judges were encoraged to go for Rampage. Its quite well known that Japanese organisations are encoraged to go for either the popular fighter or a hometown hero.

Petrezelli vs Kimbo wasn't really fixed but they did try and make it more of an advantage to Kimbo. Sadly to no avail Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 pm

your right chealsea, pro elite xc were WELL DODGEY when it came to Kimbo, when i watched the thompson fight it aroused serious suspicions over whether Dan Miragliotta has totally unbiased.
    I reckon 60% of refs would have stopped it when Kimbo received 25 unanswered shots in the 2nd round, and less than 10% would have stopped it when it actually was stopped, Thompson took three hard shots, but remained on his feet and wasnt about to drop or anything, at least James gave him a good slap for it.
    plus Miragliotta has mafia ties i think. scratch

anyway they didnt pay off Frank Shamrock on commentary, he shouted "HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE STOPPAGE" over and over as te fight was stopped.

heres where it should have been stopped, watch from about 4.30, he can hardly stand up at the end.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 pm

and heres the actual finish

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Everything about that fight was terrible. Mirgollata was cleary paid to favour Kimbo, other wise he is the worst reffere in any sport of all time, he can't be that stupid. Thompson gets in a dominant position and he says something stupid like "come on guys work" Wtf? Seriously what the hell is he talking about lol. I think that fight should have been stopped, he was taking good elbows, about 6 and looked out of it. Credit to him, he continued ( I doubt Dave Faulkner would have Laughing ) but a better ref would, or a ref who wasn't bribed would have stopped it. As for the finish, that was a disgrace. Thompsons ear is possibly the most damaged ear I hve seen in my life (and I watch a fair bit of rugby) but who the hell stops a fight because of a cut on the ear? Thompson really sucks but credit to him for giving Mirgollata a good smack in the face Laughing)

Also, aside from Shamrock the commentry is just awful. Im not sure who said Kimbo was a legend Laughing The worst was in the Petrezzeli fight, after Seth won the commenteter said some thing really stupid like "Rocky, Rocky biggest win in MMA history. Mad Mad Mad Dumbass Laughing
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Miragiotta has a highlight reel of total ineptitude in the cage.

Check out the middle gif on this thread on the website we don't speak the name of:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/dan-miragliotta-you-terrible-referee-995139/

What the hell is going on there!!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:39 pm

you can post gifs on here you know.

Fight fixing 30ben9u
    Fight fixing A3pbhd
    Fight fixing 2079gt4
    Fight fixing 2rqj3wl
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Cheers for posting them mate, sadly my IT skills begin and end with posting links..... When I grew up the internet was something to hold your nuts in your swimming shorts.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am