THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Short Jon Jones interview

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Short Jon Jones interview Empty Short Jon Jones interview

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm

About him being talked about as an opponent for Anderson..

“I’ve heard that, yeah. I hear it a lot on my website. People say, ‘Oh, you’re the one to beat Anderson Silva.’ I hear it quite often now. I’m really confident in myself, but I’m also real. I know that Anderson Silva is definitely ahead of me as far as skill and technique, and just experience-wise. But I think down the road, you know, a year or two, I would definitely take a fight against Anderson Silva. I’m big on confidence, and I just know that he’s my idol. It would be an honor to fight him.”

On who he feels he’ll square off with next inside the octagon, Jones said:

“I’m predicting a fight against someone like Ryan Bader, but I really wouldn’t want to fight against Ryan. I think we’re pretty close to the same spot career-wise. I wouldn’t really want to fight someone who’s in the same category as me. I’d rather fight someone who’s really established, someone with a really big following, someone where there’s a big risk of me losing the fight. I want to try and elevate and make it to the top as fast as possible. I just want a fight with a lot of risk.”

“I’m not one to call out anyone. I never call people out. But I’d like to have someone who’s in the top ten, an established big name fighter. Someone like Forrest [Griffin] or [Antonio Rogerio] Nogueira or Rich Franklin. Someone up there in the top five or top ten. Someone where a win would be really huge for my career.”
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Short Jon Jones interview Empty Re: Short Jon Jones interview

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:49 am

He seems to have a nice balance of confidence and humility which is really good to see. The thing is I could really see him beating Silva but that is a huge risk. I love Griffin but I think he would get murdered in that fight. I hope he doesn't fight Franklin Evil or Very Mad Lil Nog would be a good opponent and more than a tough test. I wouldn't want to see him fight Bader or Davis YET, because all three are still developing as fighters and I really like all three guys.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 am

I dont think they will put Jones with Bader. I think Bones will fight Thiago or Forrest-Nog winner.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:03 am

Jones should be looking for a challenge, since he has essentially never lost, he still has the 0 syndrome.

he is afraid to lose.

this is what i mentioned before, Jones/Bader is a battle of 2 never beaten contenders, people want to see it! i do!
    but when you have a near monopoly you can protect fighters/build them up.
    usually they put fights together that are evenly matched, but with a monoply there is no urge to put on the exciting fights, just content to groom fighters.

same with JDS/Cain...EVERYONE wants to see that, but Joe SIlva doesnt want it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:28 am

Im supried they put Davis in with the hard hitting undefeated Gustaffson....
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 am

Ye but its not the best thing in the interest of the fighters. No point in putting them in against each other too early and damaging there progress. Its different with Cain and JDS because they are established contenders.

Anyway, its not like Jones is afraid to lose. He wants to fight the better, or should I say more established LHW fighters. He said he wants guys who will further his career quickly, at this point a win over Forrest is going to more for him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:41 am

Thiago Silva makes a lot of sence, I wouldnt mind him fighting Couture either.

Real nice guy, comes across as really likeable in interviews and is just about the most entertaining guy in the devision. Hope he gets a "Name" fighter next. He would batter Randy or Forrest I reckon.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:48 am

Ye I agree completely, Im a Griffin fan and a Randy fan but he would demolish both guys right now. I hate to say it but I think he would batter Franklin as well, the guy is ridiculously talented. Even at this stage I think only Shogun and Machida are ahead. In a year or two, the guy will take some stopping.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:18 am

Lil Nog could well Box the head off Bones, of Sub him when Bones slamms him. Also Nog is quite a tall 205er with a good reach. I think he beats Bones at this stage.

I wouldnt write off Rampage beating him, Rampage is hot and cold but his Boxing is good and his punchpower is top of the devision. Also being a bigger 205er I dont think Bones would rag doll him.

Evans might be a little undersized to beat Bones...

I think your right, a year or two and he should be a contender
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Lil Nog maybe, he could possibly catch him on the ground but I think that would be a very close fight. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good your BJJ if when your eating elbow.

But I don't think Rampage could now, he is too slow and plodding, Jones would probably be too fast and I think he could get him down. Not sure Rampage will do too well off his back.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Rampage vs Bones would be a great fight, Bones Chin hasnt really been put to the test and a Hook from Rampage would let us know how he can take a punch. Rampage because very underrated after a couple of less than stellar performances. Id back Bones to win because of the form they are on but id like to see it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Who do you guys have for the Rampage-Rashad fight? Thats going to be a war i think.

Rashad has the weapons (Speed/Wrestling/Kicks etc) to win this but Rampage power + Rashads chin means anything can happen. I dont know who im going for...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Im going for Evans, Rampage is is a much much worse camp and drinking and smoking... Evans will win because he is taking the fight more seriously.

I think Wolfslair are in Awe of Rampage and dont correct his blatent faults as a fighter. Its a real shame but I think Ramapges career is going to start winding down if he doesnt move camp.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:57 pm

People were quick to write Rampage off but I always thought he was a very good fighter. I just don't think he has the speed to catch Jones with one of his big shots. He couldn't get Griffin or Jardine cleanly and they have two of the worst chins in the LHW division.

I don't think Evans has a bad chin BTW, he was KOed by Machida after 40 shots and a kick. I know he was rocked against Silva but Silva has fireworks in his hands.

The Wolfslair doesn't really seem like a great camp. Maybe good but Rampage needs a much better camp, something like Greg Jackson's camp (will never happen with Evans there) would be be great. Who is the head trainer there (at Wolfslair), the fat scouse guy who always talks on the countdowns before Bispings fight? Because he doesn't look like he knows what he is doing.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I dont know who is the head trainer, Im sure Anfield knows about the coaches etc..

I agree he needs to move on, they arent going to show him anything he doesnt already know and Id imagine its hard enough for him to find sparring partners that are high level or a wrestler that can help him prepare for Evans.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:52 pm

or a wrestler that can help him prepare for Evans.

What are you talking about, they have Kongo there Laughing
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm sure the head trainer there is Dave Jackson..........Isn't Bisping a training partner for rampage....His wrestling is on a similar level to Rashards!!!! Laughing
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I think Jones is going to be top of the tree in a year or so everyones looking at him with very high regaurd...

It' a shame to see so many fighters from the early naughties struggling now... like your

Rampage
    Wandi
    Liddle
    Forrest
    Hendo
    Gomi
    even Franklin to an extent

and so on, these guys carved what we are seeing today, and the vast majority are close to their careers coming to a close and are very middle of the road, MMA seems to have moved on alot and these guys have been caught out by it all... sad to see
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 pm

I will cry when Franklin retires Crying or Very sad

See I don't think Rampage fits in that list, its nothing to do with him being past it like Liddell and Wandi are, its just that sadly he seems to be losing intrest and isn't training right. Really he has fought much better these last few years than ever before, only in 2007 did he really take that step up from good to great. If he focused and trained right he is easily a top 5 LHW and can be a champion again. But its all about how motivated his is.

I know what you mean though, especially Liddell, Gomi and Wandi.

Even Matt Hughes isn't what he used to be.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Far to quick to write half those fighers off.

Wanderlei is top 10 on some rankings and will be top 10 everywhere if he beats Akiyama

Liddell wont be far outside the top 10 if he beats Rich, Liddell was battering Evans before the KO!! Liddell isnt going to be champ again but I can see him getting close to the top 5. Everyone gets old but I dont think chuck is done.

Ramapge is top 4 in the world right now!

Gomi looked bad against a guy who easily top 5 and I think would beat Melendez or Edgar.

Hughes beat Serra recently and might not be top ranked again but I think there are fights he can win, if he picks the right opponents he can go out on a high. Almeida is rumoured to fight him next so we will see where he stands then.

Rich is the fighter he always was he isnt showing any signs of slowing down, watch the hamill fight again! He beat Wanderlei and SD loss to Hendo were he took an eyepoke and would have won over 5 rounds.

Forrest is just chinny, technically and physically he is getting better.

Hendo near finished Shields twice in the 1st round!!! Its funny in MMA that a couple more punches and people would have been backing Hendo to be the man to beat Fedor, he doesnt finish and looses and now he is done? Hendo is going to Blow fighers like Scott Smith, Cung Le, Robbie Lawler etc.. away. Hendo has cardio problems, has done before will do against especally at his age at 185 but I see him winning a few more times...

Ill be interested to see if that whole list do slide but I dont imagine there all "Shot" I think a good few of those fighers will be on the up after their next fights. But age takes it toll on evert figther none will be about forever but I dont like to see the old boys the wrote off after a loss so easily.... you must all not have seen Rocky Balboa! Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Sometimes the body just can't take anymore damage and im afraid thats the case with Liddell. As a fighter, he is still the same as before, great striker good wrestler. But his chin is completely gone. Against Evans it was acceptable because that was a hell of a shot but against Shogun it was terrible. He was doing very well in that fight, aggresive, he got a takedown but the shot he ate was nothing. His style has always led to him eating shots, before he could take them. He can't anymore. Unless Liddell really develops his game, he will be finished completely soon. I don't see him beating Franklin. If he does things get intresting again but by then the new generation of LHW fighters will start becoming top fighters and I don't think he would do against any of them.

Wandy is still a pretty good fighter but is he even close to this guy?

I don't quite know what it is with Wandy. The agression is still there but something is missing. We haven't seen him in the UFC perform to his best. We saw it against Jardine and we saw glimpses against Franklin, Bisping and Liddell but in all three he had them in trouble and all three times he couldn't capitilise. Maybe he is suffering from no soccer kicks and stomps but the Wandy of old would have put all three guys away. Wandy can still continue his career, I think he will beat the Sexy one but how is he going to do against Nate, Sonnen, Belfort? Lets not even think about Anderson.

I love Hughes, he isn't finished but I do think he is done at the top. He shouldn't be fighting guys like GSP or Alves anymore.

Gomi looked horrible against Kenflo but he has looked horrible in 4 out of his last 5 fights as well. I really don't think he would beat either Melendez or Edgar.

Rampage is 3rd I think at LHW but he has been inactive.

Only thing I worry about Rich is his chin. He isn't chinny but those Silva fights fucked him up and his chin and eye haven't quite recovered. He should have beat Hendo.

Forrest is Forrest. I hope he has a few more upsets in him. But he isn't past it or anything like that.

Hendo beat Fedor? Really? No offence to Hendo but I really don't think so, Fedor is better in every facet of the sport. I actually think Fedor would be the first guy to finish Hendo from punches. That has nothing to do with the Shields fight. Hendo is far from done, I agree he would beat all the guys you mentioned but as a top, top fighter he probably is. You look at his last couple of fight, he beat a raw Palahares, should have lost to Franklin (IMO) and beat a Bisping who came in with the worst gameplan in recent memory. His cardio has always been poor and unfortunatley he has done nothing to improve and it has cost him three times now. Against Rampage, Silva and Shields.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:46 am