THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
manschesthair_utd
hendos_right_hook
Fedorable
Bulldog67
poz
pinsman
Moose Stuff For Money...
redmeanie77
Paddyjock
13 posters

UFC 111 (SPOILERS)

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 111 (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Empty Re: UFC 111 (SPOILERS)

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Rolling Eyes

From the top:

Im disspointed in GSP because he didn't finish the fight where he really could have. He is going with the mentality, if it ain't broke, don't fix it which is fine because he has dominated every single fighter he has faced in recent memory but that still doesn't please some people. Problem with GSP is his killer instict, all his problems are mental. He lost the first fight to Hughes because of his mind and the same with Serra. Ever since that Serra fight he doesn't want to risk standing, which is a shame because he has some good standup. But lets get serious, GSP should have taken a page out of Palahares's and Aoki's book and snapped Hardy's arm into pieces. I don't like seeing breaks but if Hardy is to stupid to tap, thats the only way and maybe that would get the hate of him.

Have no idea why Hardy is getting credit. He did nothing, he was absoutley outclassed yesterday and didn't do shit. He didn't do shit period, nothing. GSP dominates him for five rounds but GSP gets the hate and Hardy desrves credit? Hardy never deserved to be in there from the start anyway, he isn't in the library as GSP in terms of MMA. Why should GSP risking standing and getting Koed by a guy who is no where near his class. He stood with Hardy in the second round and won easily, Hardy didn't do ANYTHING! Not a punch, not a kick, he flopped but that was to be expected.

Unfortuantley GSP has entered the Coté/Leites stage of his title defence. Hardy was never a number one contender, and I hear some bullshit like Saunders was next if he beat Fitch.(no disrespect to Saunders) Before that it was Kampmann/Swick. GSP has completely wiped out the divison, come on Dana, do your job and find him some real competition. His best performances usually come against the better fighters.

Oh and as for Fitch vs GSP being boring, there first fight was on of the most one-sided ass kicking in UFC history along with Franklin vs the Crow and BJ vs Sanchez. It would be boring in terms of competition.

Anyway...

Must say I felt sorry for Mir, forget Lesnar this is another big setup for him. He just came back from one against Lesnar, he completely reshaped his training but was still comprehnsively murdered by Carwin. This may be a set back too far for Mir, I hope not though.

Carwin has the most power in the HW division, which makes him very dangerous for Lesnar but honestley, I still see Lesnar winning. Better wrestler and much more bigger, stronger and athletic. There wrestling actually might be even but Lesnar has GSP-esque takedowns, and from there its...

BROCK SMASH.
    Good to see Lesnar win again.

On the other fights:

Miller vs Boeck was a very good, close fight. I don't think Boeck was robbed like some people are making it out to be, I think it was 50-50.

Palahres has a mean leg lock, honestly I don't think Drwazl had time to tap. Palahares put it in, for a second nothing. Then the pain came. I don't think Palahres wanted to hurt Drwazl, I don't know if it was adrelanine or the ref was too slow but it was a little dickish. Not quite as bad as Babalu vs Heath but still pretty bad. 90 days is fair. Good win for him though and he continues to move up. Id like a step up for him as well know, his wrestling and BJJ are excellent but he needs to work on his striking. Id like to see him vs Sonnen.

Fitch was typical Fitch against Saunders. I like Fitch, I really do but he really needs to improve as a fighter before he faces GSP because he really is a poor mans GSP.

Pellingrino looked good, not sure where he goes now. He has lost to most top LWs he has faced. Possibly George Sotiropulus vs Batman?

Diaz looked good, props to Anfield for calling this a few months ago. He said Diaz would improve a lot at WW without having to cut all that erm "Munchies" weight. He looked a lot healthier and showed power he had never shown before. Ok it was Markham but still impressive.

Nice to see Big Dog get a win and finish, I like Alemdia. He could possibly be a legit threat to GSP.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Rampage/Wand
    BJ/Pulver

Especially the BJ on Pulver one Evil or Very Mad

I seriously think this has been taken out of context. The move was very quick, so I don't think Drwazl was stupid because had no time to asses the situation. Palahres pulled as hard as he could, the ref was in the wrong position. He was late for about a second and a half, really I don't think there was malice involved like say Bablu against Heath.

Remember Lythle vs Foster at UFC 110? Very similar situation, the very quick leg lock and Foster got fucked. Difference was the ref was there very quickly.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:The UFC obviously disagree or there wouldn't of been any reason to fine him.

The state athletic comiision suspended him 90 days, not the UFC. The suspension isnt much of a punishment considering he probably wont be fighting in next 3 months anyway. I havent heard the UFC fineing him, but you could say they snubbed him for sub of the night bonus.

It wasnt as bad as people think, but he still should have let go a tad sooner, the ref should not be forcibly try to release the hold. Its was bad but not even close as Babalu-Heath!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm

I've just watched the after fight videos on UFC.COM nd you gota love GSP, he walks back to the changing room and starts working on one of his team mates Armbarring and Kimura to see what he did wrong, the guy is one of the mot dedicated athletes going...

Question: does anyone know what belts GSP is at in BJJ? because i was shocked he couldn't finish Hardy not once but twice!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 pm

he is a blackbelt since september of 08.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Really... I find that he needed advise about an armbar after the fight very strange...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:47 pm

What he did wrong was that his mind broke when it should have been Hardy's arm. He was submitting top fighters in training with ease but when it comes to the fight he stuggles a little. Small flaw to have when you are as dominant as him. Still though, thats why I love the guy, his dedication to the sport is unparraleled.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 pm

He said post fight that he was making a huge mistake for the Kimura, he didnt have the correct angle and leverage. His coach quickly pointed this out to him post-fight and said he will not make the same mistake again. He said he didnt understand why Hardy wasnt tapping or didnt rip his shoulder.

Still a slighly embarasing situation for a blackbelt to not know what the exact problem was, but it happens i suppose.

I think this attitude of GSP's that he only wants to make sure of the win, and doesnt focus on putting on an exciting fight will harm him in the future, people were pissed he wasnt able to finnish.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I wonder if GSP and his team had heard and things were said about the Palhares fight backstage beforehand,because it seemed to me that GSP didn't want to sink that Kimura in any deeper,he even looked over to his corner when he had the arm at full torque.

It didn't look good for GSP though not finishing that Armbar,goes to show some blackbelts maybe easier to earn than others,he just couldn't lock the arm straight and Hardy seemed to just have enough freedom of movement in his shoulder and elbow to be able to rotate.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:36 pm

I posted on another topic and said that he needs to finish his next opponent becuase he is becoming a very single minded fighter... look at the grief jake shields gets, GSP is a near mirror image of late.

I like your comment about the black belt payne, he looked really confused when being told how he got it wrong... surely a black belt knows exactly how to lock an armbar out?? So dissappointing!
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm

GSP dominates another opponent comprehensively, in similar style to how he schooled Alves. Not too much to add to what other people have said. His style isnt pretty but it works! Was impressed with Hardy's spirit. didnt expect him to be quite as tentative at the start of rounds though, a guy with his upright stance was gonna get taken down so he might as well have come out swinging in my book.

Time for the new breed to dominate at heavyweight. Of course we know Carwin will challenge Lesnar next and cant see past JDS and Cain as the next 2 challengers, not necessarily in that order. Good times, although cant help but feel sad at the apparent demise of Big Nog. Hopefully he can still find a place as an upper tier trial horse, perhaps him next for JDS?

Miller vs bocek was a cracking scrap, really enjoyed that one!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:36 pm