THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut Empty Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Well all 3 of these guys are making a test cut to see if they can drop a devision.

Aoki is a hair under 6 foot so I think he will be one seriously lanky 145er but he has always been skinny so who knows. He has added extra muscle to his frame recently but perhaps he was never cutting water weight etc. at 155.

Lombard has talked about having to lean his body out a bit and is with Mike Dolce, Palhares is pretty much the same size and build but a few years younger.

I can see them all moving devisions and no doubt the 2 UFC guys will have success. Just look at Maia when he found his correct weight class.

Aoki im not sure about, there arent many fights at 145 outside UFC worth changing devision for so its a strange move. Hope his OneFC contract isnt long and we can see him make a run at a UFC title before his peak passes.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut Empty Re: Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Aoki is open to fighting Bibi at 145 but he wants to keep defending his LW belt.

"It is an honor for me to be the ONE FC champion and I am proud to bring the belt back to my team at Evolve MMA. I want to face the best fighters in the world, and if that means moving down to featherweight then I am willing to try to do that, but now I am thinking about keeping this belt and defending it many times, not giving it up," he said.

One prospective future opponent is Eddie Ng, the Hong Kong native registered his third successive win in the ONE FC lightweight division last weekend but Aoki is adamant that he would never fight someone who he considers to be a friend, as well as a training partner.

"Eddie is like family to me. I would never fight Eddie or any other Evolve MMA fighter."

There has been some speculation that, were Aoki to drop down to featherweight, he might be able to face Bibiano Fernandes in a super fight which would potentially put the reigning DREAM and ONE FC Bantamweight champion against the reigning DREAM and ONE FC lightweight champion.

Fernandes has a fight with Koets Okasaki to get past before he can call himself a ONE FC champion, but this would be potentially the biggest fight which the promotion could put on at present and Aoki refused to rule it out.

"For me, making 155 pounds is no problem and I have talked to Chatri Sityodtong and Heath Sims and the team at Evolve MMA and I think it would be possible to fight at 145 pounds. I am ready to face any fighter in the world and if ONE FC wants me to fight in a different division, I will talk to my team and we will decide if it is possible or not."

Boku won the belt by beating Aoki's Evolve MMA teammate Zorobabel Moreira and the Japanese fighter clearly relished his role as avenger. In the end, the title fight was completely one sided with the challenger dominating from start to finish and he confirmed the suspicion that it had been a comparatively easy night's work.

"The fight went according to the gameplan that Evolve set out for me. The scariest part was sparring with Muay Thai world champion Attachai Fairtex at Evolve MMA, that was more scary than Boku's striking! When you train with world champions every day, you are ready for anything that can happen to you in the cage."

After the fight, Aoki broke down in tears as he accepted the belt from ONE FC CEO / Owner Victor Cui and he explained the reason behind this emotional outburst.

"I fight along in the cage but it is everybody on my team and in my life and I cried out of joy because I was so happy."
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut Empty Re: Palhares, Aoki and Lombard all to make test cut

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Aoki vs Bibi is a great fight, one of the best P4p scraps were likely to see outside the UFC. Bibi will be at some size disavantage considering they have fought 50lbs apart!

I remember he was in talks with the UFC but nothing came of it. I really do want him to give UFC a shot, at 33 he hasnt long left being a smaller fighter and Faber needs a good opponent. That rematch would show where they both stand.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:20 am