THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
kavik2
Cowboys From Hell
redmeanie77
sunthunder
Sheldan
p4pnumber_1
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
12 posters

Lombard is coming to UFC

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Lombard is coming to UFC Empty Lombard is coming to UFC

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 pm

UFC have made Lombard an offer of a contract. Under his current deal Bellator has the right to match it but they have said they will sit down and look at it after the next Bellator event and if they cant match it they will let him go asap.

Great news. I Know some see him as a can crusher but I think he could beat anyone not names Anderson Silva right now and I think his style is idea to do that.

Prediction - Lombard UFC champ in 2013.

What you all think? Will he do damage in the devision?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Lombard is coming to UFC Empty Re: Lombard is coming to UFC

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Very exciting to watch and I'm glad he will face some real competition but I can't see him becoming champ. Aside from Silva i'd back Sonnen, Belfort and Palhares to beat him. Id like to him face Bisping or Shields.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Doubt he'll become champ to be honest, but it's hard to make any predictions on him until we've seen him against some top competition.

Any 10 top UFC 185er will do.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 pm

No chance Lombard becomes champ, I would probably back all of the current top 10 UFC middleweights to beat him.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

I think he'd definitely be a top 10 guy. But to be honest because of his well known bully mentality, I could see him wanting to stay in Bellator and smash guys who have no business fighting him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Lombard was in UFC sweden as a guest of Dana. Fan asked him when he's coming to UFC, he said soon.

Bellator are making it sound like they wont stand in his way either. So we should see him fight in octagon this year.

Hopefully against Leben.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:12 am

I honestly can see Lombard beating anyone in the UFC including Anderson & Chael his power is legit as anyone in MMA and overall he is ridiculously well rounded, But has he stagnated in Bellator I've just got a feeling he might of plateaued as a fighter in Bellator.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:10 am

Give him Leben for the first fight, or maybe the loser of palhares and belcher - so Belcher then.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Lombard would be top 3-5 easily I reckon. I love Palhares but Lombard is one of the few more Physical guys and I dont think Palhares could get him down easily. I reckon Lombard knocks Palhares senceless on the feet.

Bisping he could outstrike or outgrapple, Stann and Belfort he would have his way with Grappling wise I reckon... Okami he would KO, I cant Imagine many Mw's beating him.

Cowboys is right he is so well rounded, he has grappling subs striking and is rediculously powerfull... I think he is underrated by loads of people on here because he has been can crushing.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Alvarez and Lombard.

“@lorenzofertitta: @edalvarezfight hey been meaning to introduce myself"

" Eddie Alvarez ‏ @EdAlvarezFight
    @Lorenzofertitta lol just seen this ,its an honor brother,I think we already know each other . On my Way to Atlanta 4 some fights"

Alvarez contract with Bellator is finished as of last night.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 pm

He has one fight left on his bellator contract doesn't he?

I'm really hoping that Eddie and Lombard both come over,but I have a feeling that Bellator might go all out and offer Eddie a long,fat contract he'd find hard to refuse to keep him as their poster boy.

I just hope his ambition to see if he can be the best in the world out weighs what bellator can offer him,which I'm sure could be very hard to refuse.

I don't know the Bellator numbers,but I'm sure when Eddies on one of there cards,they have their biggest numbers.

I think Bellator needs Eddie in next seasons tourney,so they can hopefully set up the Chandler rematch.
    Even if Hawn beats Chandler(Hawn beats Weedman)they can set up a eddie - Chandler fight for the final.

I'd personally love to see Lombard vs Moussasi and Eddie vs Melendez debuting on a UFC card.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Nope he's a free agent now, and decided not to enter LW tournament a while back instead pick a easy fight for his last fight on his contract. And he's meeting Lorenzo tonight for UFC 145.

Wink
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Don't Bellator have the option to match any bid during a certain period though?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:42 pm

I think that was just for champions eg. Shields and Lombard.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Alvarez, who has one fight remaining on his current contract, looked over at Rebney during his post-fight interview with one request: "Show me the money."

An amused Rebney stood cageside smiling and clapping as Alvarez addressed the crowd.

"I just could not be happier for this guy," Rebney said. "It's a big win. It reestablishes him as one of the greatest 155-pounders in the world. And he's just an absolute class act. It's been a pleasure working with him. I hope we are able to continue working with him for years to come."

So does that mean Rebney will, in fact, be showing him the money?

"I don't think he's left me with a lot of choice, do you?" Rebney said. "I knew going into it that a win in this kind of fight would obviously do for Ed, what Ed wanted to do for Ed.

"Ultimately, and it sounds counterintuitive, but it was what I was hoping he would do, which was have a spectacular performance and reestablish himself. Ed was riding an incredible wave, and it has been awesome for this promotion since its very infancy."

Alvarez was the season-one lightweight-tournament winner and held the title for two-and-a-half years before losing to Michael Chandler in November at Bellator 58 in a back-and-forth war widely recognized as one of the best fights of 2011.

Despite being vocal about wanting an immediate rematch, it was not granted to Alvarez. He was told he would have to go back into the next lightweight tournament to earn another shot at Chandler. Alvarez declined the invitation.

"I feel like I would have had no problem [entering the lightweight tournament] if I had the number of fights on my contract," Alvarez said. "You know, I have a family. And just like everyone in here, I'm trying to get paid just like everyone else. So you can't blame me for that."

After appearing as if he was simply riding out the rest of his deal in order to move on, there may actually be light at the end of the tunnel for Alvarez and Bellator. But that remains to be seen.

After all, Alvarez is already a bit pricier than he was just a few short hours ago.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/28355/bjorn-rebney-hints-bellator-66-winner-eddie-alvarez-will-remain-with-promotion.mma
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

He has 1 fight left on his contract yes, but it expires in a few months. So he's not a free agent yet but with him not being in the tourney it looked as if its his last fight with bellator.

In a recent interview with Heavy MMA, Alvarez addressed his contract situation.

"I still have eight or nine months left on my contract with Bellator or one or two fights," Alvarez said. "I’m waiting to finalize things, but I believe we are going to be doing the fight with Shinya Aoki. That would be on April 20, but we just received the contracts and we are looking them over. Nothing is 100 percent right now, but that is what we are aiming to do."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/2/10/2790698/bellator-eddie-alvarez-contract-impasse-ufc-negotiations-gilbert-melendez-strikeforce
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:04 pm

I cant find what Bellator pay him but I just read,

"It would be great to fight them guys but at what cost, you know what I mean? At what cost to me? Do I have to, what measures do I have to take in order to fight them guys? Do I have to take an $80,000 pay cut? Do I have give up all my, every single ancillary right I can dream of? Do I have to, you know, now I can’t get certain sponsors that I want to get certain sponsors that I want to get because I have to pay the UFC before they pay me? There’s a lot of issues involved and I don’t know if people understand that. And if I was 20 years old and I was single and I had no kids, I would jump to the UFC tomorrow. But the reality is (that) I have three kids and I have a family to take care of and everything has to line up. Yeah, I want to be #1 in the world but I also want to be able to maintain a home for my family so I can’t tell my wife and kids, ‘hey, Daddy’s going to take a huge risk and this may not work and hopefully we do well.’ Like, I can’t tell my kids that. I got to tell them that I’m going to work hard and I’m going to get compensated correctly for my hard work and that’s all I really ask for."

80K paycut?? What do Bellator pay him?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:34 pm

i think Eddie makes around 150k per fight.

if you remember they signed him when he was a top fighter and they were aimed primarily at latinos, so he would be worth a lot to them.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Hector Lombard has officially signed with the UFC.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:07 am

Sheldan wrote:Hector Lombard has officially signed with the UFC.

Great news Very Happy , have him fight Stann in my opinion.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Talk of him coaching opposite Bisping on the next TUF though I cant see it. I heard Brad Pickett would be team UK coach.

I cant wait to see him in the UFC, Id love to see him Bulldoze bisping though Belfort or Stann would work as well. Great adition to the devision, heres hoping Alvarez follows his lead.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Stann seems the perfect fight for Hector to be introduced to the UFC fans I'll be honest I don't see how Stann would win this fright I think Hector blitz's him.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm not sold on Lombard. Someone like Okami would be a good introduction.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Bisping won't do TUF again.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:50 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote: I'm not sold on Lombard. Someone like Okami would be a good introduction.

I can understand that the competition hasn't been stellar for Hector he looks a beast in Bellator. He is extremely well rounded unlike the last big addition to the UFC (Shields) I think he can do well but I said earlier in the thread I do wonder has he plateaued as a fighter.

Not sure on Okami as a fight though as he is on a 2 fight skid.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:11 am