THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
redmeanie77
Sheldan
manschesthair_utd
Cowboys From Hell
8 posters

Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster.

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster. Empty Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster.

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Martin De Jong has tweeted the following.

“I am very disappointed to let you know that Marloes Coenen, John Einemo and Valentijn Overeem have been cut from Strikeforce [and the] UFC.”

All the Big MMA Media outlets are reporting this personally I find It crass and pathetic of Zuffa doing this to Golden Glory this stinks a lot like the AKA story a few years back there is more to this story than Overeem's injuries.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster. Empty Re: Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster.

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:39 pm

disgraceful decision by zuffa.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster. Empty Re: Zuffa Cut Golden Glory fighters from Roster.

Post  Sheldan Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:17 pm

I hate when politics are involved in Sport.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Only Coenen has any reason to feel hard done by, and didnt they also release Cyborg and Kaufmann aswell from Womens division. I dont think Zuffa has any plans in future for WMMA.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:42 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Only Coenen has any reason to feel hard done by, and didnt they also release Cyborg and Kaufmann aswell from Womens division. I dont think Zuffa has any plans in future for WMMA.

Kaufmann is still under contract and will be fighting Tate next as for Cyborg If I remember her contract Is/was up as she was negotiating with the WWE earlier this year pretty sure she has a new deal lined up.

I think JOE should feel hard done by first fight in 5+ years had a FOTN on his debut.

This is a political move no doubt about It I know Sergei is still in the GP but I got a feeling he will be pulled out especially If does not cancel his October date with GG .
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:55 pm

It's weak bullshit that quality fighters end up cut like this. I sort of think this stems from Golden Glorys fighters tending towards competing in other bouts between big Strikeforce fights. Which is ridiculous, because they're still working by the conditions Strikeforce were running under before being purchased by the UFC.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Siyar Bahadurzada is under sf contract but hasnt fought because he hasnt got a visa, i dont expect we will see him in zuffa cage any time soon Sad
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 pm

whats happened like? has there been a big fallout?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Basically King, Golden Glory tried shady tactics with Zuffa. They tried to use Alistair Overeem's Strikeforce title as blackmail to get the highest possible payday. Zuffa obviously didn't take too kindly to this.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 am

thats not what happened. GG has been making moves trying to set up US events...and ZUFFA cut them off just llike they did to affliction.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:18 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:thats not what happened. GG has been making moves trying to set up US events...and ZUFFA cut them off just llike they did to affliction.

I'm Sure de Jong was talking about this earlier in the year while K-1 was in limbo this does seem the most obvious reason for all the GG cuts. I am assuming GG must have a serious backer for this venture for Zuffa to completely cut them off.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm

“Well, you know, Mauro, that whole thing about Alistair (Overeem), I think it’s been documented. I think it’s been regurgitated over and over so I don’t know if we have to get into that. But with Valentijn (Overeem) and Marloes (Coenen), you know, right now, there’s only so many TV spots, as you know, until the middle of next year. And, uh, they’re, um, you know, in this business, you’ve gotta keep winning. So, to me, it was a situation where Valentijn had that loss, I believe in June, so that was already in the works anyway. It just seems sudden to everybody because it just all happened this week. But that was already on its way for Valentijn.”

“The slots are going to be for the fighters that are victorious right now. We have a lot of athletes under contract and we have to get everybody fights and there’s only so many slots. There’s only so many TV dates, we only have two more TV dates on the big show before the end of the year. September is already full, December is getting full and then January is hopefully are finals and that’s going to have a full card already. So in fairness to the athletes, why just let them hang around? It’s a much fairer situation to let them go fight elsewhere and create another future somewhere else.”

I just want to hear about Overeem, So if cutting the fighters on losses is the reason whats the craic with Overeem getting cut.

Overeems camp said that it was a broken rib and toe which means its a better excuse than any number or UFC fighters are coming off with! And especially a champ! Didnt Bones pull out with a much smaller reason and is getting star treatment?

Dana said he accepted that fighters get injured so didnt seem to care... he had 1 fight left on his contract so theres definatley more to it than we know.

I really want to hear whats gone on here, GG better kiss Zuffas ass because there is nothing much outside Zuffa for their Hw fighters.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm not 100% clued up with what is actually happening(then again who is)So I could be really off the mark,but this seems to just be a dispute between GG and ZUFFA.

from what i gather,GG tried to strong arm ZUFFA into giving them more money off Reems and their other fighters contracts or they would pull there fighters,ZUFFA weren't willing to help finance an ORG that is trying to put on competitions that would be in direct competition with them.

GG tried to use leverage,by threatening to pull their fighters if they didn't get their extra demands met,ZUFFA didn't like that shit,so they are now retaliating and flexing their muscle by showing them and their fighters to play ball or they will learn just why they need ZUFFA more than the ZUFFA needs them,

I've read that all GG fighters pay goes directly to GG and then they pay their fighters,after they have taken there percentage for themselves,ZUFFA are saying that they are only willing to pay the fighters all the money,and then it's up to the fighters to pay there camps their dues,(which while they are with GG I'd bet isn't going to be as good a pay now as if they move camps and sign exclusive contracts with ZUFFA)

Basically you are welcome to fight in the UFC,but this is what we are going to pay the fighter and you are going to fight solely for us,you fight for us,you drum to the beat of our drum and nobody elses.

So you want to fight for ZUFFA in the biggest shows in the sport,you will sign exclusive contracts and not be able to represent GG at any of their shows,if you then want to still give GG a big percentage of your purse,you can pay it out of your winnings,but while your under contract with us,there will be zero GG advertising or outside sponsorships that will help GG make any more money.

But you might now be better off leaving them,since we have beef with them,find another camp,that won't want to build there other business that could effect us from your pay and we could probably renegotiate a better pay for you aswell without them Wink

We all knew ZUFFA were eventually going to stop non exclusive contracts as soon as they could,this has been their business model since day one and they are never going to change that,as for Coenan,I think that along with not being in a hurry to resign Cyborg is just another big clue that ZUFFA have no interest in running Female MMA and as soon as this Showtime contract is up,that will be the end of it under ZUFFA,this GG dispute and the fact she just lost,helped them cut one of their pay that bit earlier.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm

PHILADELPHIA -- In the end, Dana White says, the split between the UFC, Strikeforce and its Golden Glory fighters came down to business issues.

Reigning Strikeforce heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem along with fellow Strikeforce fighters Valentijn Overeem and Marloes Coenen and UFC heavyweight Jon Olav Einemo were cut during the last week in a surprising development. Questions arose over what precipitated the move.

On Thursday, UFC president Dana White spoke about the issues that led to the split.

"This is actually a pretty simple explanation," he said. "If you look back throughout history, we haven't had any Golden Glory guys fight with us since Semmy Schilt, right? And the reason is we have very different business practices. It's tough to do business with them. The bottom line is the way they do business is, you have to pay them, not the fighters. We don't work that way. It's not the way we do business. It's not how it works in the United States with the athletic commissions. You don't pay the managers and the managers pay the fighters. You pay the fighters and the fighters pay the managers."

White went on to say that while they had previously honored existing Strikeforce deals, it became apparent Golden Glory management wouldn't change their long-held practices.

"They won't do it," he said. "We have to pay them, not the fighters."

While White said when they brought in Einemo, Golden Glory gave in to Zuffa's request, it was apparently a onetime only change. Asked if for example, Zuffa would bring back Coenen if they once again played by Zuffa's rules, White shook his head.

"They don't and they won't," he said.

The only existing Golden Glory fighter to remain on the Zuffa payroll is Strikeforce heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov, who remains in the Heavyweight Grand Prix and is expected to fight in September. Zuffa sources said because Einemo, Valentijn Overeem and Coenen had all lost, they could be cut. They chose to honor their existing deal with Kharitonov, but are paying him directly. If he loses, he would likely be cut.

White said Golden Glory should have no issues doing things their way in other foreign promotions, but as long as they deal with U.S. athletic commissions, Zuffa can only handle business one way.

"The reality is, we're trying to work out deals with these guys and they won't do it," White said. "They said you absolutely can't pay the fighters, you have to pay us. And it's pretty simple to look back and see that the last guy who fought in UFC was Semmy Schilt. There was a reason for that."
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 am

"They don't and they won't"

Dana is so full of shit Laughing

http://twitter.com/#!/marloescoenen

http://twitpic.com/6113vq

if you cant see it, its Coenen's pay slip

pay: $37506.00
    to the order of: MARLOES COENEN

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 pm