THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
2brutal
manschesthair_utd
13 posters

SF spoilers

Poll

early stoppage?

[ 4 ]
    SF spoilers I_vote_lcap36%SF spoilers I_vote_rcap [36%] 
    [ 7 ]
    SF spoilers I_vote_lcap64%SF spoilers I_vote_rcap [64%] 

Total Votes: 11
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

SF spoilers Empty SF spoilers

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:44 am

early stoppage?

i think so, fedor thinks so...why was he turning around if he was unconscious? zombie mode?

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

SF spoilers Empty Re: SF spoilers

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:49 am

did dan intentionally punch him right in the back of the head?

or was it steroid fueled rage punching? tongue
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 am

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:18 am

I disagree I think he looked very unsteady as he sat up,

That been said I wish it had gone on a little longer, I don't blame herb though fedor did flatten out when hit with the uppercut, good fight wonder if he will hang up the gloves,

What next for hendo ufc I think contract is finished in sf
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 am

Fedor flattened out and went stiff after the uppercut, he rolled over but still wasnt defending himself properly, i would have liked to see more punches landed to add to the drama and excitement as it all seemed to happen really fast but it was a legit stoppage.

Fedor was done at that point, and result would have been the same. He looked out of it still after the stoppage.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

SF spoilers 5

I would have stopped it here aswell, he clearly go limp, flat on his face.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:47 am

It was a good stoppage IMO. I'm just after getting back to my hotel after the event, went to Hendo's after party, had a couple of beers with the man himself and got an invite to go train at Team Quest. Result! What a fucking night! I'll post a full review later. I've been up for two days at this point. Gotta get some sleep. Wrecked.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Good stoppage I'll admit my first thought was It was early but after seeing It again It was justified.

Feel very sadden by the ending though, Hope Fedor calls It a day no shame losing to the likes of Hendo, Werdum & Big Foot I just don't want to see him lose to some like a Chad Griggs (No disrespect).

I do believe his miles on the clock and reckless style have not translated well in 2011 his reckless style cost him the fight last night.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:58 pm

i think the style he has employed in the cage is a lot different from his style in earlier fights, he is much more brawler lately - eating lots of punches and not being that effective.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Like most of you have said, at first I thought it was an early stoppage but after seeing the replays then it looked good to me, even if it hadn't have been stopped at that point, it would have only been a few seconds later because Henderson was landing with most of his punches. At the point in which Herb Dean ran over to stop it, Fedor was flat on his face and limp, its only that Henderson landed more punches that woke Fedor up when the fight was actually stopped, so all in all, good stoppage.

I still think Henderson will stay in Strikeforce, he's only got another year in him maybe, and I can't see UFC bringing him over when the likes of Rampage, Evans, Machida will all be ahead of him for the title anyway. I think he'll probably defend his title against Mousasi in the fall, then maybe defend it 2 more times and then retire.

I don't think Fedor's gameplan was smart at all, wishing to stand and bang with Henderson is like lieing on the floor allowing Maia to grapple with you. Fedor should have kept the distance well, then when Henderson came in swinging, take Henderson down and look for the submission. He didn't use his weight advantage at any point during the fight, if you have a weight advantage over a fighter, although minimal in this case, you should try to utilise it, and the way to do it is to take your opponent down.

I don't think Fedor will retire over which is sad to say, if he doesn't get another fight with Strikeforce he'll probably go over to Dream and face some clowns.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 pm

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/fedor-gif-real-analysis-1757165/
    i think that makes sense.

anyways sheldan, people dont get woken up when they are unconscious by big punches, it just puts them further under.

like the above post alludes to, he is wobbled by the first shot, so his muscles go limp for a fraction of a second - he immediatley starts to move again.
    then he is wobbled again by the illegal shot - and immediatley starts to move again and turns over to his back.
    at which point the fight was stopped.

if it wasnt such a collosal match up and fedor wasnt just on the verge of winning i might not be that bothered about the stoppage.
    the fact is the ref has a very hard job and was only looking out for the safety - at the same time it was an incorrect call IMO.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:35 pm

I really dont think it would have been in Fedor's best intrest for fight to keep going, he was out of it, didnt block any punches, and Hendo on top of him still swinging!!!

Best way i always feel to judge if a fighter's done, is reaction after the stoppage and how quickly he gets back to his feet. And to me Fedor looked beat.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:40 pm

Fucking bullshit stoppage. Fedor hardly went limp, it was the way he fell on his face. He would have recovered and gathered his senses had Henderson not smashed the back of his head two or three times. As Chestie has said, Fedor was fucking turning around as the fight was stopped!?!

I appreciate looking out for the fighters safety but this is the same guy who got dropped on his neck from about 8ft Laughing Seriously though, it was a pretty bad stoppage. I'll never refer to Herb Dean as the best ref in the business ever again if Fedor retires because of this Twisted Evil

Rest of the fights were pretty dire tbh, Daley and Lawler were smothered, Smith was his usual shit self but without the comeback and i never really liked the birds scrapping either although when fast forwarding through it it looked like a good ground battle.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:49 pm

[quote="The_Axe_Emperor"]Fucking bullshit stoppage. Fedor hardly went limp, it was the way he fell on his face. He would have recovered and gathered his senses had Henderson not smashed the back of his head two or three times. As Chestie has said, Fedor was fucking turning around as the fight was stopped!?!

[quote]

Neutral
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:54 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:anyways sheldan, people dont get woken up when they are unconscious by big punches, it just puts them further under.

Rampage VS Liddell and Munoz VS Dollaway are just two examples off the top of my head where this has happened, Henderson even said in his interview with Ariel Helwani that he thinks that is what happened.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:56 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:
    I really dont think it would have been in Fedor's best intrest for fight to keep going, he was out of it, didnt block any punches, and Hendo on top of him still swinging!!!

Best way i always feel to judge if a fighter's done, is reaction after the stoppage and how quickly he gets back to his feet. And to me Fedor looked beat.

fedor always looks exactly the same regardless of the situation so i have no idea why you said that, he also said he wasnt unconscious at any point - for what its worth.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Fucking bullshit stoppage. Fedor hardly went limp, it was the way he fell on his face. He would have recovered and gathered his senses had Henderson not smashed the back of his head two or three times. As Chestie has said, Fedor was fucking turning around as the fight was stopped!?!

Neutral

i think what he meant is that he breifly went limp, and the fact that he faceplanted is overstated because he was on all fours, facing down, inches from the ground Laughing
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 pm

I appreciate what folk are saying here, but IMO it was a bad call from Herb, I think he had made his mind up when Fedor flattened out and the fact that Fedor turned around as Herb came in to stop it, threw him. I can see how from certain angles it looked like a decent call, but there is no doubt in my mind that Fedor was starting to recover, and given a few more seconds, would have ended up with Hendo in full guard. What would have happened next, is anyones guess, but as a former champion and an all-time great, Fedor should have been given a little more time.

I agree that Fedor had an awful game plan, but Fedor has done this time and time again, he seems incapable of fighting any other way. He's hell bent on beating his opponent at 'their fight'. Unfortunatley I cannot see Fedor quiting now, I think that SF MIGHT give him another couple of fights, he's still a huge draw at the moment, or as previously mentioned, a trip to Japan. Pity, I would have liked this to have been his final swansong.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd agree with Pete, Herb didn't have the best of nights denying me of triple whammy trump!
    I'm gutted Fedor lost, and thought it looked a bit early, Kongo probably would agree. But looking at the slow mo, if Herb hadn't pushed Hendo off, didn't look like Fedor had his hands up and he was about to get smashed? Only my opinion.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:50 pm

poz wrote:I'd agree with Pete, Herb didn't have the best of nights denying me of triple whammy trump!
    I'm gutted Fedor lost, and thought it looked a bit early, Kongo probably would agree. But looking at the slow mo, if Herb hadn't pushed Hendo off, didn't look like Fedor had his hands up and he was about to get smashed? Only my opinion.

I understand that viewpoint, but, we've all seen sufficient comebacks to know that anything can happen. We've seen Fedor rocked a few times in the past and he's come out of it. I still would have liked Herb to give Fedor a few more seconds. I really hope that Fedor hangs his gloves up, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    poz wrote:I'd agree with Pete, Herb didn't have the best of nights denying me of triple whammy trump!

I understand that viewpoint, but, we've all seen sufficient comebacks to know that anything can happen. We've seen Fedor rocked a few times in the past and he's come out of it. I still would have liked Herb to give Fedor a few more seconds. I really hope that Fedor hangs his gloves up, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Thing is, most of us on here love the guy, I can say if he hadn't have jumped into Werdum's guard he would have beat him (I believe this), then we say the doctor shouldn't have stopped him against Bigfoot, again it's debatable. Now with last night part of me wants to say it was premature, but I would rather have the thought that Fedor could of rallied instead of seeing him absolutely sparko on the floor, does that make sense?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:24 pm

poz wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:

Thing is, most of us on here love the guy, I can say if he hadn't have jumped into Werdum's guard he would have beat him (I believe this), then we say the doctor shouldn't have stopped him against Bigfoot, again it's debatable. Now with last night part of me wants to say it was premature, but I would rather have the thought that Fedor could of rallied instead of seeing him absolutely sparko on the floor, does that make sense?

Complete sense mate.

I don't know whether Fedor would have beaten Hendo, had been given a little more recovery time, but I do think that, if Hendo had battered him conclusively, Fedor may well have been considering retirement. I think now, Fedor has the opinion that it was stopped early and therefore that he still has a point to prove. Before the fight, I was thinking that this fight was win-win for a fan, scenario 1 - Fedor wins and proves that talk of his demise was premature, scenarion 2 - Hendo conclusively beats Fedor and Fedor retires, didn't anticipate this scenario.

Looking back (without Fedor coloured glasses on), Werdum would have beat him regardless of whether Fedor jumped into his guard and the Dr was correct to stop the Big Foot fight. I still think though, that Herb could have given him just a further 10 seconds or so, whether he could have survived the rest of the fight is a different matter though.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:31 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

fedor always looks exactly the same regardless of the situation so i have no idea why you said that, he also said he wasnt unconscious at any point - for what its worth.

What i meant was fighters initial reaction to the stoppage is a big give away, if he gets straight up and says he's ok and challenges the decision then thats a big sign that show stoppage was early. If he needs help getting up then well less likely it was a bad call. Just a rule i go by when judging stoppages. I didnt really see Fedor or his team question the ref after getting seen by his team and doctors...

With regards to Fedor last night, i remember the commentators saying he was still out of it, when herb dean finally got Hendo off. We didnt really get a good look as camera went straight to Hendo celebrating.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:51 pm

SF spoilers 10_Fedor_Henderson_15
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:28 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

SF spoilers 10_Fedor_Henderson_15

Not too sure what that picture's meant to convey, Fedor appears to be focusing on Herb Dean, which is understandable, as I've said, I'm not trying to suggest that Fedor would not have been beat by Hendo, but simply that, as a major figure in MMA for many years, he should have been given a little more time before being stopped. Although I do think that, if Herb had of held of only a second or two, he would not have jumped in. I think that Fedor turning into Hendo, threw him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 am