THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
superman_punch
Once Mohawked Pete
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
mikeyboybisping
hendos_right_hook
GSPfan11
threeofclubs
pinsman
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
poz
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
manschesthair_utd
gre660wl
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
Shanemc
the_king
Sheldan
29 posters

Boxing discussion

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Boxing discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: Boxing discussion

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Floyd totally outclassed Ortiz in the fight and there was nothing wrong with the finish you should protect yourself at all times and Ortiz got what he deserved.

I've always felt Floyd would beat Manny and last night kind of reaffirmed my opinion sure Ortiz is no Manny but aggressive fighter always come second best against Floyd his defence on the sequence before the head butt was near flawless no wonder Ortiz lost his cool.

Pretty good under card too certainly better than the UFN card that whole show was horrible barring a few decent fights.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:56 pm

What Floyd did was within the rules and therefore it was acceptable IF the referee told them to resume fighting. I haven't seen a replay so I don't know that he did. Ortiz didn't seem to think he had.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Technically it should have been a NC or a DQ for Mayweather because if you hit the guy before the ref says Box your in the wrong. But I couldnt care less, Mayweather fought dirty with dirty.

Floyd is far above Manny Ive said for ages I think he is the top althlete on the planet and Larry Merchant is a disrespectfull old cunt. Its not the 1st time he has cut Floyd off mid sentince, any other nation would worship Floyd as a hero, I dont know why the americans dont appreciate him.

A handfull more wins and he surpasses Ali. I dont think SRR's record can ever be touched but Floyd is getting right up there with Duran etc.. for p4p greats

Also Joe Cortez is the worst thing about Boxing, its not the 1st time ive seen a total balls up from him. He tried to stop a fight stepping in a waving it off but the fighters ignored him and the guy who was supposed to have been stopped came back to win 1. It was a poor call 2. the fighters overruled the ref that doesnt happen in any other sport.

Mayweather = Best thing in Boxing, I reckon Tim Bradly would be a good fight for him next.

Cortez/Merchand = Need a new creer

Manny = Needs to stop juicing and fight Floyd.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:12 am

Floyd needs to stay active and fight more regularly if he wants to beat Manny if and when they do fight. I want Floyd to break up Amir Khan's face in his next fight. Forget all others, feed him Amir, let him destroy him and that might spark Manny into agreeing to that fight.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:10 pm

ben you are right and wrong

right with your assesment of mayweather but well wrong with the nc or dq he clearly told them to box on and gave the hand signal, ive watched it 68987765373663722828 times,

it was a cheap shot he did the same agaisnt gatti not sure if anyone recalls, cheeky naughty dirty but legal

plus that dirty headbutter deserved it lol
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:43 pm

the ref did wave them together, then the ref looked at the ringside timekeeper and mouthed something - I assume telling him to restart the clock, while he was doing that Ortiz and Floyd embraced. The ref was still talking to the person at ringside when Floyd landed the left hook. Ortiz clearly got confused and looked at the ref. Floyd decked him with the right and the ref still wasn't watching.

Floyd was within the rules, it was a cheap shot but a legal one.
    Ortiz needs to learn to protect himself and be more aware of what's going on.
    The referee should never be allowed ref another fight because he's a fucking moron.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Boxing discussion - Page 6 6

I can't help but to be reminded of Wandi vs Metzger every time I see this

Boxing discussion - Page 6 7
    Boxing discussion - Page 6 8
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 pm

Am I the only one who is extremely confused with how Ortiz reacted to this, both after the fight in the ring and at the post fight press conference? He was far too happy for my liking, if that had just happened to you you shouldnt really be smiling from cheek to cheek and laughing about it with Mayweather. It makes me wonder whether or not he could have actually got up from the shots and decided that he didn't want to be in there with Mayweather any longer. (A bit like Khan VS Judah).
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 am

maybe he was starting to get picked off too easy, maybe he was thinking wow 3million dollars
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:13 am

Ortiz is certainly a strange individual mentally he never seems right IMO post fight he denied the blatant head butt he threw was intentional which was baffling to say the least and seems to believe he deserves a rematch.

I also see Honest Bob & De La Hoya have added in their 2 cents and surprise, surprise both have condemned Floyd's actions (no surprise Oscar agrees with Ortiz there should be a rematch).

I honestly don't see anything wrong in Floyd's actions after seeing the finish numerous times it is obvious Cortez waved them in and Ortiz was too busy trying to be all pally, pally with Floyd after his thuggish actions when he should have been aware the fight had restarted.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Ortiz chose to stay down to secure a re-match. Floyd said he'd give him a rematch a little bit too easily when asked about it. The whole thing just seems off to me. The headbutt, the referee, Ortiz not defending him, Ortiz smiling and laughing afterwards, and Floyd saying he'd fight him again which Floyd never does.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:08 am

bothing wrong with what floyd did technically but its not a good display of character.

floyd should learn some respect for his elders.
    the old dude was just asking the questions the crowd wanted the answer to (albeit in a very slow, stumbling manner). Laughing

i like pacquaio to beat floyd Smile
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:59 pm

no chance rematch
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Mayweather said in the post fight press conference that at this stage in his career, he's basically fighting for money and not credentials, and that a fight with Pacman wouldn't make him any more money than a fight with anybody, so he doesn't need to fight him.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 pm

From Bad Left Hook.

Terence Dooley of BoxingScene.com has full details on BoxNation, a new Sky TV channel that will be dedicated entirely to boxing, and will feature the return of the always-outspoken and in many circles beloved Steve Bunce to a regular TV role.

Promtoer Frank Warren has signed a three-year agreement to provide programming for the channel, and Bunce will be a main analyst for the channel. Here's a look at the upcoming lineup of fights:

September 30: Liam Walsh vs Paul Appleby
    October 7: UK Combined Forces/US Armed Forces Amateur Show
    October 15: Nathan Cleverly vs Tony Bellew, Piotr Wilczewski vs James DeGale
    October 15: Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson
    October 22: Rob Norton vs TBA
    October 28: Frankie Gavin vs Diego Gabriel Chaves (note: this one really might be trouble for Gavin)
    November 5: Ricky Burns vs Michael Katsidis, George Groves vs Paul Smith
    November 5: Robert Stieglitz vs Mikkel Kessler
    November 18: Lee Selby vs John Simpson

It's quite a nice lineup already. The channel will be free for a few months to whet the consumer's appetite, and then will switch to a £10 subscription fee. UK boxing fans aren't as used to throwing crazy jack on boxing as we in the States have become, so they might feel a bit jammed by this news, but I like the idea a lot and the starting schedule is a good one.

Seems Fwanky is up set with SKY Sad............Very Happy
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am

Ward vs Froch has been postponed due to Andre getting cut in training no new date is set.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Eddie Hearn was on Sky talking about this before and he said he's fuming, Ward just wrote on his Twitter that the fight was off, and there was no confirmation from his management, Showtime or anyone about it. He's told Froch to keep training until they can see this cut themselves. He's said that if it is going to only be postponed a few weeks then they don't mind, but if it'll be a few months then they want a fight in Nottingham.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Frank Warren can piss off as well, just because Sky have said they're not having any boxing on Box Office for the immediate future he decides oh i'll go set up my own pay monthly channel then. Once the channel has been up and running for a few months, the standard of boxing will considerably drop.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:25 pm

I agree about old fish eye's a money grabbing cunt of the highest order, sadly I think this venture will pay off for fwank.

As for the Ward Froch fight shame the fight is delayed but the Super 6 has been full of delays and withdraws so I'm not surprised If the delay is a matter of months instead of weeks I would love to see Bute take on Froch as talented as he is I'm sick of Bute boxing cans.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Hearn has said he would love to make Froch VS Kessler over here, but Kessler already has a fight set, and I doubt that the Super 6 organisers would allow Froch to fight such a challenging opponent with the final in mind, if he does fight over here it'll probably be against a guy ranked 20+.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 pm

2brutal wrote:no chance rematch

If Floyd gets another 20mil like he did for that fight, there will be a rematch.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Sheldan wrote:Eddie Hearn was on Sky talking about this before and he said he's fuming, Ward just wrote on his Twitter that the fight was off, and there was no confirmation from his management, Showtime or anyone about it. He's told Froch to keep training until they can see this cut themselves. He's said that if it is going to only be postponed a few weeks then they don't mind, but if it'll be a few months then they want a fight in Nottingham.

All it's doing is delaying Froch getting a boxing lesson in fairness. They could have the fight in Froch's front garden with his mum and 2 aunts as judges and his dad as ref and he'd still lose.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Sheldan wrote:Hearn has said he would love to make Froch VS Kessler over here, but Kessler already has a fight set, and I doubt that the Super 6 organisers would allow Froch to fight such a challenging opponent with the final in mind, if he does fight over here it'll probably be against a guy ranked 20+.

Especially against a guy who's already beaten him despite barely being able to see out of one eye!
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:37 pm

his wife as time keeper and his best man as ring announcer
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Richard Keys has joined BoxNation (Fwany's new venture) Can't say how much of knowledge of Boxing he has though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:09 am