THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+19
The_Axe_Emperor
james_hampton
pinsman
mikeyboybisping
Paolo_73
sunthunder
hendos_right_hook
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
KalDog
redmeanie77
Albion_Oakley
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
great_ginger_10
Ginginho
Shanemc
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
23 posters

Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 4 Empty Re: Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Hall of Fame updated, Minowa, Big John, Fulton, Horn and Tito all added...

Records have been updated since last time as well..

Fedor gets a win by KO
    Severn by UD
    Nog by UD
    Gomi by UD

Couture looses UD
    Crocop looses TKO

The Gracie Hunter wins 2 fights both by Sub! The Only HOF'er to pick up two wins since the HOF was published!

Everyone happy with how it looks now? Anyone missing?

The only ones I can think of are Frye (But Im refusing to put him in based on a piss poor record and coming off a few losses!) and Pat Miletitch... Both are Sill active, Pat has chalked up a win recently, Another one and we will really have to consider him I think. Shame Carlos Newtons record is so poor as well im sure he would have been close.. he just beat Shonie Carter who was also talked about.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 4 Empty Re: Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Is Rei Zulu's 145-10 a legit MMA record?

Since we put Big John in who is not a figher is there room for any of the Gracie clan who have been overlooked? Rickson Gracie perhaps? Maby even Helog Gracie for Bringing BJJ to the masses?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Helio Gracie should be in because he brough BJJ in to MMA, I say he should be in.

Rickson, while is probably the best BJJ practioner ever has not done that much in MMA, infact he just comes across as an arrogant old man sometimes.

I.E "I can beat Fedor and Lesner"
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Im not a fan of Ricksons either, he is laughable at times but a great fighter aparently the best gracie with an undefeated record in MMA... but yeah didnt achieve a lot in MMA so I would be happy enough to leave him out...

Anyone else Helio in then?

Or is that getting away from MMA too much. I was thinking putting Big John in might start getting the HOF away from actual MMA fighters.... Helio may do the same. Although a figher maby we are better to stick to MMA fighters??? Im tempted to take big john out...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 pm

putting Big John in might start getting the HOF away from actual MMA fighters

Damn! And i was just about to suggest Bruce Buffer and Goldie Sad Razz
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:35 pm

HAHA I dont know who I like Less!!! Laughing Probabally Bufter for being a poor mans Michael Buffer!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Lads I took Big John out, I dont want to get to off track, Id rather we stick to fighers only. It opens the floodgates for people who arent fighers... we will have Dana White in before we know!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:24 pm

added BJ Penn... he was going to go it at some point and I might as well add him now that im adding other people. Im sure no one will disagree with putting Penn in?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Fuck it Frye goes in there too!!!

Thats the lot for now!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Im glad you took big John out.

How about Matt Lindland 21–6? If he beats Souza
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:25 pm

I wouldnt hold your breath for that happening! Laughing

But yeah If Lindland beats Jacare it would be a huge win for him... he already has a few HOF'ers on his CV and a few good names. Never having held the title is perhaps an arguement against him currently but yeah with a win over Jacare I think he is a fair enough call.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Lindland could go in with recognition of being the most boring fighter ever. Otherwise, No I think it sets the standard too low. Pulver deserves to be in a HOF more than Lindland as he was once the best in his division and established the LW division.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:58 pm

What about Guy Mezger?

I know he has more losses than wins against big named fighters but he has a few losses on his record that to be fair he got robbed,against Sakuraba Pride robbed him and later appologised but never changed the result,and he was completely robbed against Arona.Wandi cheated with a blatent headbutt infront of the Ref to win his fight which the ref for some reason decided to completely ignore and the Decision losses to Shoji and Kunioku was a typical thing that I disliked about Japan,the fact that if you fought a Japanese fighter or a fans favourite you had to stop them because you very rarely had a chance of winning on the judges cards.

He beat and lost to Tito and Semmy,had a split decision loss to Lil Nog,lost to Bas at a time when Bas seemed unbeatable and eventually beat Funaki.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:26 pm

3 or 4 years ago i would have had Ricco Rodriguez as a shoo in for HOF list.

He is 37-11, 22 submisions, only finished twice, 9 decsion loses, was robbed at pride against Nog because he was UFC fighter.

Has wins over Couture,Arlovski, Travis Fulton and many others

It is a shame his career tailed off abit and was caught doing Coke and Marijuana. Lost too some average fighters

Atleast deserves a mention i think....
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:50 pm

I'd add Miletich as well,not only for what he has achieved in his fighting carear but also for the amount of fighters he has coached to sucess in MMA.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm

We should have 3 wings in our hall of fame.

Fighters - Self Explanatory
    Coaches - Self Explanatory(would include the like of Helio Gracie as well)
    Officials - Referees, promoters, judges, match-makers

in my opinion.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:43 pm

No Worries mate, If you want to put forward your thoughs for them ill stick them on. I Wonder if Greg Jackson has earned his spot allready!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:36 pm

someone on 606 said it, but Igor has to be on there, maybe you left him out by accident? clown
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Overlooked Igor!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Ben I think you need to print a list of criteria that the fighters have to meet to get into the Hall of fame.
    (and something similar for your rankings also)
    Like Titles won,undefeated runs,strength of opposition they have beaten and whatever else you can think of.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:33 pm

That list at the moment just looks like somebodies list of favourite Pride fighters with a few UFC fighters thrown in.
    It's become so big all sorts of names are being thrown in who are great fighters but not HOFers.

Most on that list should not be HOFers.

Fedor,no doubt
    Royce,no explaination necessary
    Randy,two wieght 5 time UFC champ
    Bas,3 time King of pancrase,UFC Champ,retired on a 22 fight unbeaten streak.

Ken and Frank have a good case as well as Severn,Funaki and Sakaraba and for the younger fighters Hendo,Hughes and Penn.
    most of the others I think I would need a convincing argument to be in a HOF.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 pm

i dont think such a criteria exists;

for example if you had a criteria such as
    "must have been a pride or UFC champ, must have more than 25 fights"

then you are already leaving out stone-wallers Igor, Funaki and Royce.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Yeah it's not that easy is it,sorry.

It's just the list seems to be getting pretty big for a sport thats only about 20 years old and is really only coming into it's 4th genaration of fighters.

Put under each name a few lines on why they are on the list and then people can judge if that is a good enough reason to be on a HOF list.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 am

how about some nice vague ones Very Happy ;

inductees (fighters) must either

1. Have a significant impact on the development of MMA.

or

2. Be dominant in their weight class for a significant period of time.

that pretty much rules out (for definite) only Barnett, Minowa, Horn, Fulton.

with a few others being arguable e.g. was crocop impactful on the development of MMA? id say so.
    Gomi dominant at LW? id say so.

what do you reckon?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:30 am

Makes sense to me.

I wouldn't have Barnett, Horn or Fulton in the hall of fame. Minowa's mullet puts him in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 pm