THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
6 posters

UFC 112 offical weigh-ins !

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 112 offical weigh-ins ! Empty UFC 112 offical weigh-ins !

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm

All 22 fighters taking part in Saturday's "UFC 112: Invincible" event successfully made weight for the show.

Today's weigh-ins took place in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, where Concert Arena (at the Ferrari World theme park on Yas Island) plays host to Saturday's pay-per-view event (1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT).

UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (185 pounds) and fellow headliner Demian Maia (184), as well as lightweight champ B.J. Penn (155) and fellow co-headliner Frankie Edgar (154), were all well within the limits of their respective title fights.

UFC 112 marks the UFC's first trip to the Middle East in the company's history.

The full weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD

•Champ Anderson Silva (185) vs. Demian Maia (184) - for middleweight title
    •Champ B.J. Penn (155) vs. Frankie Edgar (154) - for lightweight title
    •Matt Hughes (170) vs. Renzo Gracie (171)
    •Rafael dos Anjos (156) vs. Terry Etim (154)
    •Kendall Grove (185) vs. Mark Munoz (185)
    PRELIMINARY CARD

•Phil Davis (204) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (205)
    •John Gunderson (154) vs. Paul Taylor (155)
    •Nick Osipczak (170) vs. Rick Story (169)
    •Brad Blackburn (170) vs. DaMarques Johnson (170)
    •Paul Kelly (156) vs. Matt Veach (155)
    •Mostapha Al Turk (235) vs. Jon Madsen (252)

UFC 112 offical weigh-ins ! Frankie-edgar-3

I dont think Edgar cuts weight to fight at 155.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 112 offical weigh-ins ! Empty Re: UFC 112 offical weigh-ins !

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:38 pm

I fear for Edgar, he probably needs to add weight to make 155.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Does anyone know if the prelims will be aired?? on ESPN its only on for 3 hrs which doesn't sound like long enough for the whole card.
    Defo wanna see all the brits in action.......I'm Bizarrely looking forward to the madsen v Al-Turk fight,has there ever been two fighters as awful as these two fighting???
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Daley is my favorite brit, but you will see his fight after he gets KO of the night sure! cheers

Mark Munoz is an absolute beast, he looked a new man since he joined blackhouse, him vs Grove seemed to split opinion but I think he will steamroll him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Zuffa needs to sort out the inequality in pay between 145lbs and 155lbs, Edgar could mix it up with Faber and Co. but the paycut is severe when you drop a weight class. I really think they arent using WEC to the best of their ability.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:12 pm

They usually show a couple of prelim fights during the show. I reckon they will definatly show the Davis fight and maybe 2 others if they finish early.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm

There's bound to be a early finish in one if not both the title fights!! Really looking forward to it but I fear the title fights being a massive let down!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Edgar doesnt have 1 single advantage over BJ, Edgars strength is in his Boxing, BJ's is better.

BJ has Height, Weight, Reach, Speed, Strength now Id even say possibly Cardio, really every physical attribute you could wish for over Edgar.

Skillwise, he is better at Striking/Wrestling/BJJ.

I dont think the Edgar title fight makes any sence, I think he should have fought Maynard. I'd even have rathered one of the WEC Lw's fight Edgar to decide who gets Penn. Id fancy Ben Hendo's chances against Edgar. Complete missmatch IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Maia vs Silva was billed as MMA's best Grappler vs MMA's best Striker somewhere. When you think about if if Maia takes Anderson down there is every chance he could finish him. I see a 1st round KO here for Silva but Maia wont pull a Leites, he is in this fight to win it and not just survive.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:00 pm

It starts at 6 pm tomorrow for us doesnt it? cheers

Finally we get to see fights while were fully awake.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Did they switch to digital scales?
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Edgar doesnt have 1 single advantage over BJ, Edgars strength is in his Boxing, BJ's is better.

BJ has Height, Weight, Reach, Speed, Strength now Id even say possibly Cardio, really every physical attribute you could wish for over Edgar.

Skillwise, he is better at Striking/Wrestling/BJJ.

I dont think the Edgar title fight makes any sence, I think he should have fought Maynard. I'd even have rathered one of the WEC Lw's fight Edgar to decide who gets Penn. Id fancy Ben Hendo's chances against Edgar. Complete missmatch IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Maia vs Silva was billed as MMA's best Grappler vs MMA's best Striker somewhere. When you think about if if Maia takes Anderson down there is every chance he could finish him. I see a 1st round KO here for Silva but Maia wont pull a Leites, he is in this fight to win it and not just survive.

To be fair to Edgar there aint much between him and Maynard in terms of the title shot and neither a ralistic chance of pulling off an upset, Dana/Joe Silva have got some work to do to keep the Lightweight seen alive, can anyone think of anyone on the horizon who could be a contender?? Has Ben Henderson done enough to warrant a shot?? Has Maynard beaten a high enough calibre fighter to deserve one?? other than these two we really are scrapping the barrel, unless like some has mention Faber or Aldo step up!!!! Whats it gonna take for the UFC to get Aoki in there with BJ????
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:16 pm

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 pm

If Maynard and Edgar had of fought then the winner would have been a legit contender, I believe Kflo is a legit contender too, if him and Maynard fight the winner deffo diserves a shot. I dont think Kenny fought to the best of his ability 1st time around.

The only way to see is B.Hendo and Co are good enough is to step them up. Seriously B.Hendo beat Jamie Varner and Donald Cerrone, he might not be as high ranked as UFC guys but he hasnt had the chance to beat higher ranked opponents to be ranked. I think WEC Lw's are overlooked.

Ben Henderson
    Kflo/Maynard winner
    Aldo/Faber winner

Theres 3 good opponents for Penn at 155lbs, outside the UFC they wont sign Aoki thats for sure, Melendez seems to love SF, Josh Thompson same.

Eddie Alvarez is a must, Ive no Idea why UFC have shown so little interest in signing him.

You can see why Penn wants to step upto 170lbs!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Ive always said that the biggest threat for BJ outside UFC is Alvarez. And even agaisnt him you would have BJ big favourite and can see him winning by sub in the later rounds.

Aoki is too one dimensional.

Even if Melendez/Thimpson join UFC, they are no threat to BJ. I think there more at clay guida level.

Kawajiri?? If he beats Aoki, then maybe i would rank him as high as Alvarez as a threat to BJ.

Lets face it BJ is the man at 155 lbs, no one comes close.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Madsen isn't that bad, he is actually a really good wrestler. He beat Lesnar once in a wrestling match and was beating Shaub before getting caught. He needs to add to his style but Al-can has been a joke so far. He did KO McSweeney I think though which obviously means nothing but he isn't the worst.

I don't actually think Alvarez has a good chance to beat BJ, everywhere he is outmatched. The competitiveness of the fight would depend on Alvarez getting a lucky shot in the first minute, because he won't outstrike BJ for 25 minutes.

I like Josh but he is outmatched against BJ. Melendez is around the same level and he again has nothing for BJ. Crusher offers no problems, he is again on the same level as the other guys. He lost to Melendez is PRIDE RULES IN A RING (so no one brings that up Laughing )when Melendez was a weaker fighter.

I feel sorrry for KenFlo because no matter how hard he tries, he will never be on the level of BJ. His striking isn't as strong as BJ, his BJJ isn't either and he doesn't really have any wrestling. Maybe he can beat BJ in tennis but not in MMA.

Aoki offers more to beat BJ than Edgar because atleast his BJJ is on par or better than BJ's and has excellent judo, but with BJ's takedown defence I don't think Aoki will even get a chance. Even if he does get him down, Bj should have enough to avoid being submitted.

Maynard has the best chance I think, he is a bit like Matt Hughes/GSP, two guys who have dominated BJ. Maynard isn't at that level and he doesn't have a chance to finish BJ but his style could cause problems. He is a big strong guy who can use his wrestling to push BJ against the cage and put him down. From there, he probably just LnP prays, which is a lot to do for 25 minutes. I wouldn't give him much of a chance but him and Aoki have the best styles to do it.

The LW ranking's on fighting ability like now look like:

1.BJ
    2.BJ
    3.BJ
    4.BJ
    5.BJ

Who cares, the gap is so big.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    The LW ranking's on fighting ability like now look like:

1.BJ
    2.BJ
    3.BJ
    4.BJ
    5.BJ

Who cares, the gap is so big.

and this is why

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:10 am

BJ Penn did not look in his career best shape at the weighins, he doesnt really need to be for Edgar but I wonder if he took training as serious as he did for sanchez?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Hope there's a good few of us on the chatbox this evening.

Payne will u be on? I think its on at like breakfast time for you there. Wink
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:05 pm

No mate,I'm at work till 6 (my time)it starts at 1,so I've got it recording to watch afterwards.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:28 am