THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
GSPfan11
payneNglory1
Albion_Oakley
redmeanie77
George_Louis_Costanza@who
manschesthair_utd
Bulldog67
rudeboyben84
12 posters

Fight night after thoughts...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Fight night after thoughts... Empty Fight night after thoughts...

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 am

Havnt seen a lot of the undercard but by all reports Okami was very impressive, used some seriously good boxing...

Gleison Tibau looked a beats against Uno, Alves and him and such massive weight cutters! If he brushes up on his Wrestling defence and Cardio he can be a force a Lw, such crazy power but I think with the weight cut he might have Cardio problems when a good wrestler pushes him. Brutal fight because it looked like different weight classes.

Pearson vs Siver really lived up to the fight I though it would be, I really underestimated Pearson! I thought he would be aiming to take the fight down at some point, Really good standup, Roughhouse must be a good gym because it is producign strikers like him, Daley, Hardy and Winner! Pearson has very relaxed standup and it lets him see punches comming. Cant wait to his next fight, Its a shame UFC realeased Neer because he would have been an ideal opponent.

Sad to see Quarry take a beating like that, the guy is a complete sitting duck, I forgot how easy to hit he was against Credeur last year Rivera looked like he wanted the fight more, he was really getting his weight behind punches and had intentions on every shot. They really were fightign to both be gatekeepers and keep their job, I cant see Quarry beign Kept by UFC he is an accident waiting to happeen. Rivera should look for a Leben rematch now I reckon,

What about Nelson!! He certainly has more KO power than I gave him credit for and is really supprisingly light on his feet for a 265er... That win puts him in the top 15 in the world for sure. In not one bit fussed on him fighting James Toney though Id kill to see him matched up with Gonzaga or if UFC consider Gonzaga below him, coming off a loss and all, Id like him thrown in to the mix for real with Mir or JDS.

Kflo fought a great fight, I dont know if Gomi's heart is really in it. He fought a far too patient fight agaisnt someone who was beating him to the punch, I have liked to see him tuck his chin in and throw caution to the wind a bit more agaisnt Kenny who's boxing was really looking good. Im sure we will see Maynard vs Kflo for the number 1 contender. To be honest I think either are better fights than Edgar but I think BJ will fight at 170 and wait for the winner of Maynard vs Kflo.

Really good card in all, lot of great standup, Ill post the undercard videos if I find them.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Fight night after thoughts... Empty Re: Fight night after thoughts...

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:18 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/3/31/1399590/ufc-fight-night-21-results-roy

reading a few places Nelson might get JDS next!! Someone said Dana White hinted at it after the show... This is a good one. Nelson is on a roll and looing impressive. A win over him and JDS can relax and get his shot. Nelson is a tough enough test.. 265lbs, Good boxing with KO power and BJJ skills.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 am

Pearson definately most enjoyable fight, will be interesting to see how he copes with someone who has a good level of takedowns but fair play at the moment, doin exactly what he needs to do

Big country did a top job, way better than i thought he would, and Toney for him next would be fantastic, just so a fat bloke can pound a gobby boxer into the floor
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:28 am

and im gonna own up to a SHOCKER Shocked

I had Ross Pearson down as a loss in the predictions, because when I was doing them I read Ross Pearson but in my head I saw Ross Pointon!! For fucks sake!! I even wondered how the fuck he had got another UFC fight, what a fuckin donut!!

lol!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 am

Haha I had him down to loose too but I knew who he was, Siver gassed a but, I wonder if he should be loosing a little muscle mass and making 145lbs? He looks a little small for 155, only thing is for fighters with a drop in weight past 155lbs expect a paycut.

I really Dont want to see Nelson Smother Toney and thats exactly what would happen, It wouldnt make for good viewing and if he finished Toney in similar style to the Kimbo win, Toney would just say he wasnt hurt etc.. what he need is the Crocop vs Barry winner to have a go at kicking lumps out of him and teach him respect that way!

I can see JDS vs Nelson happening now for sure. Ive no Idea what they are going to do with Toney and neither does Dana!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Florian vs Gomi shows what an advantage training and studying your opponent is.

also Gomi wasnt able to hit Florian, i wonder is this due to the cage, in the ring Gomi closes in on his opponent so easily and he said he doesnt have a cage in his gym.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Nice little card with little upsets for me barring Rivera (who looked great last night) who I thought he was going receive what he dished out.

Pearson impressed again I want to see him fight a good grappler next I'm thinking Tibau or Miller his stand up is great but we need to see him against a good grappler he is more than capable of making the step up IMO.

Nelson looked great the idea of a JDS makes sense if we are not seeing Cain fighting him any time soon personally I would favour Big Country in this he has fantastic timing in his boxing his last 2 stoppages were picture perfect strikes.

Can't say much about the Florian fight to me it went to script Gomi looked dreadful I really don't know what is next for him maybe it was Octagon jitters but I don't believe this to be the case for poor Gomi the Diaz fight really took a lot out of him sadly he has gone the way of Cro Cop.

Last edited by George_Louis_Costanza@who on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:17 pm

it was bad strategy from Gomi, good from Florian.

Gomi is a counter puncher and since Florian refused to engage with anything other than a jab, Gomi couldnt get going...

apart from one time when he clocked kenny, who took him down and submitted him.

why didnt he just do that to start with???

answer -> he is a safe fighter, typical UFC fighter compared with other organisations such as strikeforce and DREAM, he fights not to lose. Kenny is master of elbows from the bottom, if that isnt a playing it safe strategy i dont know what is.

out side the UFC, fighters plan to impliment their strategy or "way to win" on their opponent. UFC fighters in general...i'm talking about GSP and Kenny...Machida to a lesser degree since he just uses the same style.

Kenn yand GSP fight to avoid getting beaten.

i think its down to the UFC being very quick to cut people in alot of instances.

(Leben, Sakara, Alexander are other examples who changed their style to not get beaten, rather than to win)
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Buentello is cut by the way... just though id throw that in there.

Gomi was in good shape but his cardio and agression werent there... He wont get cut but I think he is on the slide. I expect his career to go downhill from here. I seriously think him and Mirko are going to end up looking out of place as hall of famers.

Gomi didnt even know who Kflo was, thats so unprofessional. Kenny may have fought not to loose but Gomi's lack of agression almost ment he was fighting to loose and had given up. When a heavyhanded fighter is getting outstruck like that its disapointing not to see him get more agressive.

Anyone else see Quarry getting cut?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:36 pm

As a big Gomi fan i am so dissapointed with last night.

Florian outclassed him in every department, nothing to do with cage or elbows or anything. Florian but on a boxing clinic last night in first 2 rounds. His control of distance, his jabs, his ability to get inside and out of the pocket were very impressive.

Watching Gomi getting outclassed on standing like that, was awful, my heart sank when Gomi was going for those wild hooks and missing badly each time.

I think Florian goes above Alvarez in the rankings now.....

Roy Nelson what a performance, this guy should fight GG next please that would be great fight. I dont want to see JDS fight him.

These are all matches ive seen so far, and i have done my best not to read your guys comments on other fights so as not to spoil.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:02 pm

so i went to bed after the pearson fight and recorded the rest, the endless commercial breaks were pissing me off....

got up and watched the rest this morning, and thanks to the power cut.... Neutral

...the programme ended during the second round of Florian/Gomi fight!!

so i had to watch the end on the worst quality online video imaginable!

anyone else not bother to stay up and have this problem???
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm

haha funny enough I fell asleep on the sofa and missed the last fight, woke up 10mins after the UFC show was over and rewinded it so managed to see it ok. When I went to check the recording today I say the end wasnt recorded... that powercut was funny, I think it was God just having enough of Bruce Buffers annoying screaming cheesy intros...

I wish they would just let Bruce Buffer get it all out of his system after the fights, let him do 15mins of intros after the lights have turned off an everyone has gone home. I hate seeing UFC live sometimes, mostly due to the stupid amounts of adds but Buffer does my head in... Its time UFC replaced him...

Get rid of this middleaged man who wears MMA T-shits.

Fight night after thoughts... Bruce_buffer1

And add a bit of class to the UFC

Fight night after thoughts... Michaelbuffer
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Get the G-man Goins back in I say
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Really enjoyed the Pearson-Siver fight,Pearson's boxing was really good to watch and that was the differance between the two fighters,Pearsons boxing style beat Sivers kickboxing,his punches were tighter and faster and he was throwing some nice combinations.Siver still looked good and I enjoyed his attempt at his spinning kick,the guy has talent and good power,he looks like a tank but I think Pearsons pace was a bit to much for him as it started to show in his cardio.

The UFC needs to cut Quarry,he's a danger to himself.

Uno looked nearly 2 weight classes smaller than Tibau,how Tibau cuts that much weight without completely killing his cardio is beyond me.Uno's UFC journey just isn't working out,I think he should start thinking about the WEC personally.

Great win for Nelson,he made Buentello look like a powder puff puncher,headhunter my arse.
    Not much we can learn from a fight that is over in under 40 secs apart from something that Schaub already knew,Big Countrys big overhand right puts people to sleep.
    I don't want to see Country against JDS yet,I'd prefer he fought another top 15ish guy first or a top guy coming off a loss,Gonzaga,Mir,Nog maybe(a rematch with Rothwell could also be an option) or Kongo,Cro-cop-Barry winner,Yvel.

Gomi was just out classed from start to finish,I think chesty was right,Kenny could of finished it in the first if he needed to,it's just he is a lot smarter than that and dismantled him for 3 rds before choking out a tired,spent fighter.Kenny looked great again,just like he did in his last fight.
    Cage wasn't a factor at all,just out classed by the far superior fighter.
    Kenny deserves 100% credit,he beat a fully fit Gomi,who is nowhere near the level of Kenny full stop.

I have a feeling this is going to be along the same lines of all the Cro-cop excuses.I mean straight away we have had it could have been the cages fault,elbows on the ground could of effected it somehow(they really made the differance in this fight ;)Kenny trained and studied Gomi,where as Gomi just can't be arsed anymore and UFC fighters don't try to finish fights like in Strikeforce(Jake shields)or Dream(Fernandes 10 fights,6 decisions) because they fear being cut,but your talking about GSP,Kenny and Machida scratch somehow I don't think they fear being cut.

Just save time,copy and paste every excuse and reasoning why Cro-cop has struggled since he left Pride and just delete his name and replace it with Gomi's.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:04 pm

firstly until you've trained striking in a ring and a cage you cant tell how much of a difference it makes. (have you)

I haven't. but looking at all of Gomi's fights in a ring, 90% of the time he has a guy in trouble, he is backed into a corner, in a cage this is impossible.

watch Crocop/Perosh... Perosh just circles away from him for 10 minutes without doing anything else, Crocop couldnt do anything about it since its almost circular there are no proper corners.

its different with Gomi, people cant use him to exert the opinion that ufc is better than pride was since Gomi already lost to Golayev (although it was b.s.) and Kitaoka, and his other fights werent as convincing as before....unlike Crocop who was in the form of his career.

its more relevant to Mirko's 2nd run in the UFC than anything else.

jake sheilds finished 8 of his last 9 fights.

and i'm not talking about fear of getting cut...i'm talking about fear of losing, or just fear in general.
    GSP openly talked about it before the hardy fight, though it was most obvious in Serra 2.
    his primary aim seemed to be staying away from Serra's punch. which is the annoying style i am talking about.

Kenny was training with the sole purpose of avoiding Gomi's powerful counters, which is why he only threw jabs the entire fight.
    I know he usually finishes fights, but in my opinion he only took Gomi down because he got clocked by a heavy left hook.
    GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm

manschesthair

when recording any ufc events its best to record the programme thats on after as this isn't the first time its gone on past the programme schedule. I recorded portugol which was on after last nights 'fight night' as i had a feeling after going to bed after the pearson fight it would finish later than planned.

Needless to say i've found this out the hard way
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Really enjoyed the Pearson fight, he's coming on in leaps and bounds, where does that win put him rankings wise? Would love to see him rise up the rankings and start taking on some bigger fighters. I watched the Kflow fight before the Pearson one and have to say Pearsons striking looked better, much more aggressive and very pin point, would he have dealt with flows jab? One last thing loved the trip towards the end of the 3rd round was wondering when we would see some of his Judo!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Anyone else see Quarry getting cut?
    I was thinking that myself as I was watching the fight. It'd be a bit of a shame to see but judging by that performance it'd probably be the sensible move.

payneNglory1 wrote:Great win for Nelson,he made Buentello look like a powder puff puncher,headhunter my arse.
    Laughing Too right Payne. Struve looks a bit chinny to me. It was some shot by Nelson though, he does have surprising power. I reckoned Nelson would win a stoppage after an accumulation of shots. I can't see him beating Dos Santos though.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm

No,I've only ever been in a ring and that was along time ago,never stepped foot in a cage.

I don't think the end result of last nights fight would of been differant,ring or cage.

Of coarse there are differances,I just don't think it effects the fight as much as people make out,especially when it's a striking match,you still circle in the ring and aviod the ropes and corners just like you aviod getting stuffed up against the cage but your right it's easier to trap your man in a corner.If a guys circling you all the time though,it's your job to cut him off,if you can't do that then thats a problem in your own game,Many fighters have been stopped while stood trapped against the cage.GNP deffinately suffers in a ring because you can't stuff your opponent up against ropes and pound them out.

Jake Sheilds fights in the same way,he's a very cautious fighter who wears his opponents down and I respect him for that,good fighter who always has a solid gameplan.
    I think all fighters should be worried about losing,thats what should spur them on to improve and GSP should be respected that he has learned from his mistake and looks like he has found himself a gameplan that nobodys got the answer for yet,but it's not the most exciting style admittedly.

Kenny was tagging Guida like that as well,I just think his boxing and overall striking game has come on miles and he is now a very good striker who can use his bread and butter ground game when he needs to.I think your right though in that he felt that punch before the takedown but I don't think it rocked him,there wasn't that much on it by then,more of a quick stinger,Gomi's cardio and power were low at that time.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:22 pm

fair enough.

though i will say that when asked how he was different now, compared with when he fought in PRIDE, Mauricio Shogun said that back then he was more comfortable fighting in a ring, and in the years since he has gotten more comfortable fighting in a cage to the point that he prefers to fight in a cage now.

i'll agree though that it probably wouldnt have changed the outcome...although Gomi may have been more agressive. Razz

i think Guida is the perfect fight for Gomi right now, agree?
    he is no can, but not a top contender, and it will make for a hamburger making excersize for Gomi cheers
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I'd rather Gomi fight a can like Macdanzig or someone.

Although if he were to lose that, i'd think id give up on MMA altogether Evil or Very Mad
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 am

kennys striking was excellent but gomi did look a shadow of his former self which is dissappointing but maybe needs a few fights to get used to the cage lets hope so. The only problem with kenflo is as much as i think he is a great fighter i just dont think he has enough to beat BJ,
    Keep getting impressed by roy nelson every time he fights i want him to lose but yet he keeps winning, not sure who dana is gonna throw at him next, thought maybe kongo but i feel a fight between these to to would involve roy sitting on kongo for 3 rounds,
    Ross pearson looked quality really like the guy hope he develops into a great fighter.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Great night of fights, I was lucky enough to be able to watch it live on Spike, I'm on holiday in the Caribbean at the moment. Even managed to catch some Bellator last night as well. Life is certainly good Very Happy

Gomi had nothing to offer last night, which makes it hard to judge how good Kenflo was. His striking looks outstanding though, so crisp and fast, his jabs were in and out in a blink of an eye.

They should cut Quarry, he had a shocker. I actually feel embarrased to have picked him in the predictions. Rivera comes across as a bit of a cock though, with his 'FREE WEEZY' t-shirt!

Nelson has been massively overated. As bad as TUF 10 was, Nelson and Schaub have both looked great in their last fight. Schaub has the years on his side as well, so I wouldn't be suprised if in 3 or 4 fights time we may see them rematch. Plus the UFCs first mid intro power cut!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:06 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:

i think Guida is the perfect fight for Gomi right now, agree?
    he is no can, but not a top contender, and it will make for a hamburger making excersize for Gomi cheers

I would like to see that fight but I would be putting my money on Guida if I had to pick.
    Gomi has the power,but Guida can take a shot with the best of them,he's never been Ko'd in 37 fights for good reason and I don't think Gomi would win by submission.
    For me this fight would come down to cardio and Guida blows Gomi away in that department.

I say Guida either subs Gomi late on like Florian or takes a UD.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 am