THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
George_Louis_Costanza@who
ChelseaQuinsfan
TomHughes1983
Shanemc
Moose Stuff For Money...
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
Paddyjock
redmeanie77
14 posters

Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!! Empty Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!!

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!! James%20Toney

Heavyweight boxing champion, James “Light’s Out” Toney has put pen to paper on a multi-fight contract with the Ultiamte Fighting Championship after months of lobbying for a deal to be done.

Sources close to the situation informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com about the deal, although little more is known at this time.

Toney has been one of the greatest boxers of our time and has now seemingly decided to make a full time switch to the world of mixed martial arts. It was only last week that Toney criticised the initial offer from the UFC, describing it as a “five fight deal for chump change”. Stay tuned to MMABay for more news on the deal as we get it.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%20A%2000979.html

Last edited by redmeanie77 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!! Empty Re: Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!!

Post  Paddyjock Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm

I hope Dana puts him straight in against someone decent and he gets smashed!!

I hate his arrogance that he thinks he can just walk into such a complex sport as MMA and beat people up!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!! Empty Re: Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!!

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:11 pm

I was excited at the Idea of Toney coming into MMA at first,but now after seeing that he is doing this for all the wrong reasons and doesn't give two shits about the sport,I'm hoping that this doesn't happen and he is left trying to make a living on little boxing cards against journeymen and bums.

Though if he does sign then I think Roy Nelson would be a good first test for him or I'd like to see him in against Cro-cop(but thats because I wouldn't mind who got KTFO in that fight) Twisted Evil
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

I wonder how much he is on? For sure a 6 figure number base salary.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 pm

I was excited by this when i first heard about it, then i got a bit frustrated when the same thing was coming out of his mouth and showing no respect to the sport, fighters etc.

But now that i hear its possibly a done deal im excited again.

What a coup this is for the UFC. I cant wait Cool
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:18 pm

i am not really interested in James Toney, he got his ass kicked by Will Smith afterall Razz
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I was excited at the Idea of Toney coming into MMA at first,but now after seeing that he is doing this for all the wrong reasons and doesn't give two shits about the sport,I'm hoping that this doesn't happen and he is left trying to make a living on little boxing cards against journeymen and bums.

Though if he does sign then I think Roy Nelson would be a good first test for him or I'd like to see him in against Cro-cop(but thats because I wouldn't mind who got KTFO in that fight) Twisted Evil

Id have a bad feeling we would just see Nelson Smother him. Id like to see him against McSweeny. Id love to see someone who would strike with him. A Kickboxer who wouldnt just take him to the ground! But I dont see why anyone wouldnt, Toney will have no groundgame and I dont see a future for him unless he gets one. With his Ego I think he will take a loss or two before he realises he needs more than Boxing.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 pm

I was beginning to think this wasn't going to happen. I can't wait to see how he gets on.

Bring on Kimbo!!!
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:19 am

the winner of kimbo/mitrione could be good im actually excited to see him fight in the ufc now
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 am

Two words: Leg kick.

Did Toney not watch Ray Mercer fight Remy Bonjasky? If he fights against any of the awful former K1 fighters turned UFC heavy weight he's going to be hobbling for life. Antoni Hardonk, Pat Barry and Mirko Cro Cop will be launching leg kick after leg kick on to the poor guy. No one will stand and land punch for punch with Toney, as that would be stupid. On the other hand, he will be spending a lot of time on his back and a lot of time looking foolish limping around the cage avoiding take down after take down.

It's almost 7 years since Toney was Ring Magazine's fighter of the year. He's 41 years old and the guy has one heck of a gut. At least Herschel Walker at the ripe old age of 47 looked the part. He had more lean, sculpted muscle on him than a lot of heavy weights ten years younger than him. Oh, and on top of it all, historically Toney has been busted for steroid use.

And I have one word for Dana White: hypocrite. He'll be able to set up in Japan perfectly as apparently they're the only country that puts together "freak fights".

And that is the last time I start writing a forum post at 1 in the morning!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 am

"And I have one word for Dana White: hypocrite. He'll be able to set up in Japan perfectly as apparently they're the only country that puts together "freak fights".

How is James Toney a freak show??? I suppose if the UFC signed a world class grappler with little or no stand up that would be a freak show aswell? Or if they signed an a world class wrestler with little standup and poor submission defence that is also a freak show? Or bringing a k-1 champion into the UFC.

You want a freak show go look at Strikeforce reported plan of putting Walker in against Canseco Exclamation
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 am

UFC President, Dana White has spoken for the first time about yesterday’s news that the promotion have snapped up current heavyweight boxing champion, James “Light’s Out” Toney to a multi-fight non exclusive contract.

Speaking via a press release, Dana said:

A lot of pro boxers have made a lot of noise about how they would do in mixed martial arts, but nobody on the level of a James Toney has been willing to back up his talk. He’s a legend whose boxing record speaks for itself, and he’s a guy who I’ve got a lot of respect for. Now he’s got every intention of matching that success in MMA, and I think he’s got the right attitude – let’s see if he can do it.”

The outspoken head f the promotion also spoke to Yahoo!Sports.com later in the day, revealing:

We threw the kitchen sink at Brock when he came in. Are we going to do that same thing with James? I don’t know.Tobe 100 percent honest with you, all [expletive] aside, I haven’t thought it out. I like James Toney. He’s one of the greatest boxers ever. I have tremendous respect for him. He said he wanted to fight in the UFC and I was interested. Now he’s here and I have to figure out what to do with him. What we won’t do is make a freak show out of it. I’d be the first to scream if someone else did that, so I’m not going to do it.”

Hey, I don’t want this to be seen as a joke, and it’s not like Herschel Walker or Canseco or any of those guys. James Toney is a fighter. The worst thing anyone can ever say to me is that they were watching one of my fights and they changed the channel. That’s why I’ll never put [expletive] fights on. James is an interesting case. We know how much talent he has as a boxer and he insists he’ll surprise people by how much MMA he knows. I’ve still got some thinking to do ... James came to me and he literally chased me around the country to do it, so I’m giving him the chance. We’ll get it figured out one way or another.”

Toney is set to be mentored by Juanito Ibarra during his term in the UFC, the former trainer of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. Only time will tell whether Toney can hold his own inside the octagon. No doubt he has tremendous hands, but with takedowns and submissions to contend with, are we going to see a fish out of water?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 am

Randy is the first guy to call out James Toney. I think we will be seeing alot more.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

Junaito Ibarra, the former trainer of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, has been enlisted to help heavyweight boxing champion, James “Light’s Out” Toney prepare for his UFC debut later this year

“We have been working on stretching, sprawling and movement, all the things he will need to get a handle on.”

Ibarra also spoke to MMAJunkie.com, saying there is a great respect that exists between the two men.

“James and I have good personal chemistry. That's what it takes. I just don't jump in with anybody. We respect each other's knowledge. He's a student of the fight game. He's a born fighter, and I believe in him. I think I can teach him more about his body, his athleticism – how to fight better as an MMA combatant.”

“We'll put in the work and see what happens. He's starting to get in shape, and he's in it. If I can be an asset to somebody, that's fantastic. It's another great opportunity. Hopefully my team will help him and we can go in there and get some victories.”
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 am

The first episode airs after UFC fight night 21 "Gomi-Florian". March 31. so not long to go.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Id like to see him against McSweeny

What do you have against McSweeney? Do you want him to get killed?

I think Toney can get a success if he actually trains in other aspects of the sport. Takedown defence and get some solid BJJ and he can be a real force. He will definitey have the best hands in whatever division he fights.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:22 pm

McSweeney sounds a good idea to me Twisted Evil

I'm thinking the loser of Gonzaga vs JDS is a good starter why not throw him against a good name I mean he is a former multiple time World Champion.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Some UFC HW give their opinion on the news of Toney signing.....

Purists have cried hypocrisy over news of boxing champion James Toney's new Ultimate Fighting Championship contract.

The 41-year-old boxing veteran got the usual line on Wednesday for well-known outsiders who make their way to MMA: he's an opportunist just looking to make a buck, he couldn't make it in his sport and can't go anywhere else, and he'll be obliterated by the "real fighters."

He is, in short, a freak show.

But several UFC heavyweights MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) spoke to Wednesday didn't condemn Toney for the move. Most, in fact, had more positive things to say than negative.

Pat Barry, a former kickboxer who's felled more than a few opponents with his leg kick, said the signing could raise the level of striking in the UFC.

"It's awesome, man," he said. "It just widens the pool of fighters. If it was up to me, I'd rather see someone get stung and knocked out versus submitted any day. If he hits you, you're going to get hurt. I'm looking forward to seeing him do damage if he can make the adjustment."

Todd Duffee, who scored the fastest knockout in UFC history this past August at UFC 102, said he understands purists' arguments but feels Toney's presence is a good business move for the promotion.

"I think the UFC's going to make a lot of money," he said. "There are people in the UFC he stands to beat. Yeah, it kind of makes a mockery of the sport, but James Toney is a fighter. I definitely respect him.

"I think it's kind of being blown out of proportion. There's world champion jiu-jitsu players that fight in the UFC. You don't tell them, 'Oh my god, you're going to mixed martial arts. Are you sure about that?'"

Paul Buentello, a former top UFC heavyweight contender, admires Toney's brazen campaign to earn his contract.

"I like the way he got the fight going," Buentello said. "He got in Dana White's head. He's a warrior. I think it's a good fit. He's just true. He brought it all out there and called everybody out. I think his actions are showing what he wants to do."

Even Brendan Schaub, a veteran of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" who initially criticized the decision to add former bareknuckle brawler Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson to the cast, is far more charitable to Toney's move.

"He's 41, so it's kind of a late start to get into it, but with is boxing background, it's trouble with those four-ounce gloves on," Schaub said. "Honestly, I'm surprised the UFC signed him with zero MMA fights. But with the right matchups, he could be exciting in the UFC. Even his jab can do damage do guys."

Heavyweights Chris Tuchscherer and Gilbert Yvel don't know who Toney is.

"That just goes to show you how much I follow boxing," Tuchscherer, a collegiate wrestling standout, said Wednesday evening with a laugh.

All of the heavyweights MMAjunkie.com spoke to agree that Toney faces an uphill battle inside the octagon.

"I always said you can bring a wrestler to an MMA fight, but you can't bring a boxer to MMA," Tuchscherer offered. "Most fights end up on the ground, and wrestlers are more comfortable when they're on the ground."

Schaub, a former arena football player who trains with heavyweight contender Shane Carwin, put it more bluntly.

"Someone would be stupid to trade with him," he said. "Once he goes to the ground, he's screwed."

Then again, Duffee said, stranger things have happened inside a cage. Former boxing king Ray Mercer knocked out five-time UFC champion Tim Sylvia in one punch this past June.

"We don't know anything about him," Duffee said. "We know how his boxing is, but we don't know how his [MMA is]. We don't know how he's going to react to a double leg or any kind of wrestling. He may be really friggin' good at it. There's just a lot of question marks around it."

Buentello said it will be hard for Toney to erase years of physical training centered toward boxing.

"It's going to be a different rhythm," he said. "It's a different pace. Boxers like to run five miles every morning. MMA is a spirit sport. It's going to take him a while to get adjusted to that. There are too many variables.

"I think he'll do just fine with the right opponent. If you get the wrong opponent, like Randy Couture or Rashad Evans, these good grapplers and wrestlers, he's going to have a hard time."

UFC president Dana White said on Wednesday that he has yet to formulate a plan for Toney's first octagon appearance.

The heavyweights were unanimous in their willingness to fight Toney. None, however, was opposed outright to his presence.

"It's dope, man," Barry said. "I want to fight him. Tonight."

Pat Barry wants to fight everybody it seems, lol.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 pm

It's interesting that only fighters that come from a striking base (with the exception of Tuscherer, who comes from a broken groin base) were asked about what they thought of Toney. Only an idiot would stand and bang with Toney or any other heavy weight boxing champions. Why risk getting knocked out when a lay and pray decision is a much safer option. I bet he'll look even more like a fish out of water than a wrestler when he's put on his back. Also, you can bet that Dana White and Joe Silva will set up fights for Toney just as they've done for Kimbo Slice. People want to watch, sometimes if only to see the car wreck and sometimes with the expectation that someone is getting knocked out. Equally though, I wouldn't want to try and perform a leg lock on Toney as I bet he hits like a truck! (see Frank Mir versus Ian Freeman!)
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Randy's put his name down...

Report- James Toney signs a multi-fight deal with UFC !!!! CoutureTweet34

A couple of Dana quotes...

On boxing...
    If we promote him and he does well and that raises his profile and he gets a [Vitali] Klitschko fight and makes a lot of money for himself...I’d be cool with that.

On Strikeforce...
    We were sitting around finishing the deal and talking and he told me that he’d been talking to Strikeforce. He said they were talking to him about a fight with Herschel Walker. James said to me, ‘Do you know what I’d do to that [expletive]?’ He looked at me and said, ‘You know, I have a lot of pride and I’d never do anything to embarrass myself. I’m a fighter. I want to fight. And don’t ever underestimate me.’...

Hey, I don’t want this to be seen as a joke, and it’s not like Herschel Walker or Canseco or any of those guys. James Toney is a fighter. The worst thing anyone can ever say to me is that they were watching one of my fights and they changed the channel. That’s why I’ll never put [expletive] fights on.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:24 pm

I don'r understand why Walker continues to get abused and labeled a "freakshow" fighter. He took one fight and trained very hard. He is better conditioned than most of the MMA fighters currently active.

Canseco is a clown.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Junaito Ibarra, the former trainer of Quinton “Rampage Jackson has predicted that heavyweight boxing champion, James “Light’s Out” Toney will shock the world when he steps into the UFC octagon, as well as revealing he wants to fight the man he refers to as “Simba Slice”.

Speaking to the BleacherReport.com, Ibarra said:

“We get along real well. He’s a great student. He considers me a teacher. Hopefully this chemistry that we have can carry us to a title in MMA. James Toney is a born fighter …I’d hate to be in an alley with a born fighter.”

“James Toney will fight anybody. It’s up to us to help him figure things out. What I would like to see and what his manager would like to see…Kimbo Slice. It makes sense. The weight factor makes sense. Maybe a 220 [lbs.] fight somewhere in there. Two guys who have great names. I would love to see that fight. I think that’s a great opponent, hopefully the UFC would consider something like that. He’s said it all over the Internet. He calls him Simba. He says he wanted Simba Slice.”

On Toney fighting at 205 pounds, Ibarra said:

“I like it. I think that’s in the plan. I’d like to get him down to 205 and fight the winner of a Chuck and Tito. Fights with Kimbo Slice and he goes on to fight the winner of a Chuck and Tito fight …I think it would sell and I think it would be a hell of a fight.”

“Hopefully they’ll see us fight somewhere, maybe in June. Believe me, as his teacher I’m not going to let him step into the octagon without him being ready …I think we’re gonna shock the world, dude. I believe that.”
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:33 am

BTW guys, Kimbo vs Mitrione has been pulled from the UFC website....

i think we may have a clue as to who Toney's first opponent will be Twisted Evil

also Walker would dismantle Toney! there. i said it.

walker is a powerhouse he would just ragdoll him to the ground and it would be all over.

and its a lie to say no-one should stand with him.

with the like of Barry, Crocop, Hardonk and Yvel...one hard leg kick and its over.

edit: just saw this was posted in the other thread pale
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Toney will likely have to face an inexperienced fighter in his first bout...

Nevada state athletic commission executive director Keith Kizer admitted it was likely that the commission would more readily approve a Toney matchup with a lesser experienced opponent than one with years of experience.

"I don't want to pre-judge anything, but that's probably a fair statement," he said. "But talking about specific fighters, that's unfair for me to discuss. We'll let the fans speculate. If they come across my desk with a request for a fight, I'll take a look at it, but I don't want to pre-judge anything."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/03/04/opponent-level-will-factor-into-sanctioning-for-james-toneys-de/

That's if he gets a licence in the first place, he has failed two roid tests.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

I've got a sneaky feeling Kimbo's gonna shock the world and knock Toney out.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 am