THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
6 posters

Dana White on knees to the head

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana White on knees to the head Empty Dana White on knees to the head

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Knees to the head? I get asked that a lot. Right now we're in this phase where we go out to all thees different states, and what we're trying to do right now is basically -- the game of soccer we play in the United States is the same game they play all over the world -- that's what we're trying to do with MMA, to make this a sport. Eventually, when the whole world isn't afraid of this sport anymore, then we can add knees to the head. I like them and I agree with you, but it's going to take a long time.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/02/22/dana-white-likes-knees-to-the-head-but-no-rules-change-soon/
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana White on knees to the head Empty Re: Dana White on knees to the head

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 pm

That's probably the most sensible thing he's said in the past 2 years!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 am

Great to hear he is open to change. I said before UFC is scared to change because its starting to be accepted in the mainstream and they dont want to jepordise this... Knees and downward elbows in please!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 pm

I wouldnt get my hopes up just yet, they already are finding it difficult getting MMA legislated in certain places..... They wont jeopordise their New York appeal for this.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:01 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Great to hear he is open to change. I said before UFC is scared to change because its starting to be accepted in the mainstream and they dont want to jepordise this... Knees and downward elbows in please!!

I miss knees to the head on the ground so much. They were a very effective way of finishing a fight, ask Igor Vovchanchyn, Melvin Manhoef and Mark Coleman. Igor managed to stop Kerr with knees to the ground (although they were illegal at the time) and Coleman managed to submit Igor and knock Allan Goes unconscious. Melvin combined knees and ground strikes in DREAM to TKO Dae Won Kim. They are a devestating strike with the ability to render the opposition unconscious. They can be performed by strikers and wrestlers and stops the stalemate of the north south position and safety from strikes can't be found underneath a sprawled opponent. When Chuck Liddell fought in PRIDE he took advantage of the knee strikes on the ground. They are an effective way of disabling the opposition.

Elbows on the ground are significantly less effective. In two consecutive UFCs elbow strikes have led to particularly nasty cuts that have almost caused the end of the fight but have come nowhere near to knocking out the opponent. Perosh was free to continue and Sonnen continued to abuse Marquardt on his back. Elbow strikes more commonly cause nasty cuts rather than knock outs. As Bas Rutten commented on Inside MMA in a real fight a fighter isn't going to stop because of cut, he'll just bleed and continue and a fight stopped on cuts is never good (but obviously protecting fighter's health is always of the upmost importance).

I agree with Red, they're having enough problems trying to legalize MMA in New York state and parts of Canada as it is without factoring knee strikes into the arrangement too. I have a strange feeling that Dana White is just trying to appease fans of PRIDE and fans that are new to the history of PRIDE through Spike's reshowing of the old events.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm

actually the Crocop/Perosh fight was stopped by the cut, but not until between rounds.

one change i (and stephan bonnar according to inside mma) would like to see implemented is treatment of cuts mid fight, cuts are inevitable but letting fighters bleed all over each other is un neccessary, and to some audiences; off putting and unsightly.

They have this rule in japan.

a couple of my favourit examples of knees on the ground:

https://2img.net/h/oi27.tinypic.com/2q3yubr.jpg" alt=""/>
    Dana White on knees to the head Mht45v
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:11 am

I think a 5 minute blood stoppage should be implemented to be honest. If the cut can't be treated in 5 minutes or is just really bad or in a really dangerous spot like the eyelid then stop the fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:27 pm

i meant to post this one aswell but it didnt work:

Dana White on knees to the head 2q3yubr

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:35 am