THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA Empty Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA Darchinyanvic13

Vic Darchinyan is a world class boxer and the current WBO , WBC unified Super Flyweight World Champion. Darchinyan holds a 33-2-1 professional boxing record. His amateur record was an incredible 158-18 rwith 105 knockouts.

Darchinyan is currently training with mixed martial artist James Te Huna — who is making his UFC debut against Igor Pokrajac at UFC 110 — and he has expressed his interest in the sport.

“At the right time, I want to have a go at cage fighting. I’ve done wrestling since I was very young, so I believe it’s something I could compete at if I wanted to,” Darchinyan said.

“My father was an Olympic wrestling coach for Armenia, so he was teaching me from the time I was very small. In a year or two, it’s something I’m definitely going to do.”

Darchinyan is not the only boxer to want to dabble in mixed martial arts. It was just at UFC 108 that James Toney wanted a meeting with UFC president Dana White in hopes of getting a contract with the organization.

Would deffinately be a great addition for the smaller weights in the WEC,and if the WEC's PPV's pay off and the money gets more attractive for fighters there,I could see him coming.

One things for sure unless the UFC bring in their own lighter weight divisions,we will never see him fight there,the guy is tiny.

Vic only just moved up in weight to boxings bantamweight 118lbs,thats 8 lb under the 126 lb minimum for an MMA Bantamweight,19 lbs off what every MMA Bantamweight fighter weighs in at.

Darchinyan vs Torres would be cool match up though.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA Empty Re: Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Honestly I've never heard of him but he has a pretty impressive record. He is tiny though, way too small for BW if thats his weight. Flyweight doesn't have many established fighters right now, he should try his hand there, why not? Could probably be on of the better fighters in that division.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA Empty Re: Another Boxer thinking about making the change to MMA

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 pm

I watched Darchinyan's fight with Nito Donaire, he'd had the better of most of the fight then got sparked out by a quality counter in the fifth. Darchinyan is a good boxer though.

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:24 pm

With his hands, and his wrestling background and pedigree he could have all the tools to be one of the top FlyWeights in the world. Armenia produces some quality fighters!
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 am

He's a very good fighter, and very popular in the states

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:35 am