THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
8 posters

An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport Empty An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:55 pm

I came across this piece that I thought was a pretty good read,thought I'd share it.

It's by a sports reporter that had no interest in MMA who went to watch UFC 109.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/2/10/1300771/meeting-mma-outsiders-encounter
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport Empty Re: An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:08 am

Sounds like he was overwhelmed by all the action, as you would expect for someone at their very first MMA exposure.

I think moral of the story here is once you get past all the taboo and social ignorance that this a barbaric form of violence and actually watch and learn MMA with an open mind most people can appreciate the skill, talent and energy from an MMA fight(er).
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport Empty Re: An outsiders encounter with the worlds fastest growing sport

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 am

Great find Payne! That's one of the best articles i've read in a while by someone on the outside looking in at MMA.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:40 am

"And when you think about it, that makes for some pretty fascinating matchups. Differentiating between the styles—knowing which armbar comes from Brazlian Jiu Jitsu, or which defensive move comes from Wrestling—is beyond my purview, but theoretically, it makes for a chess match between fighters that's impossibly intricate, and highly intellectual. This isn't just two guys trying kill each other with their bare hands—there's a lot more to it. And while I'm not fluent in the fighting styles, having seen one fight, I want to be. It'd make the fights that much cooler. That's at least a partial explanation for why fans become so immersed in this stuff."

Great article!

Think this sums it up Very Happy
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I have found when introducing MMA to mates who know nothing about it I get the "this is hard to watch/totally barbaric" line to begin with - it doesn't take long for those comments to change to things like "his guard is wide open, mount him ffs, ELBOWS...ELBOWS DAMNIT" Laughing

I think people just need to watch a few fight to become fascinated by the sport. Human Beings didn't build the focking Colloseum in Rome cause the don't like fightin....Even my old housemates sister used to call in for a j now and then and we would be watching it, at the beginning she was like "this is so sick", after 2 or 3 viewings of varous fights her comment was "when is Brock fighting again, I want to see him smash someone"
    Twisted Evil
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm

My Mum takes the same attitued as my Girlfriend, she would turn away at Violence of any Kind, she is a real religious one! One time me and my Brothers were watching UFC in her house and It was Guida vs Roger Huerta, She walked into the room and looked at the screen and said "This is Awfully Exciting isnt it?" Laughing Damn Straight! Laughing
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah my G/F started off with no interest whatsoever and now has favourite fighters (Keith Jardine and Houston Alexander sadly) and says she prefers UFC to pride because kicks on the ground are "uncalled for" and moving people back into the middle of the ring "stops the flow"
    MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  MMA Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:06 pm

great artical

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:48 am