THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
7 posters

GSP HL Video part one.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP HL Video part one. Empty GSP HL Video part one.

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Yeah I should have posted it in the Pic's and Videos section but GSP is the best fighter in UFC so Diserves a Post of his own! cheers

I remember Eurosport used to Show MMA It was UCC some Canadian MMA Organisation I think, Some Of GSP's earlier fights are on this Highlights, Really cool Video.

I think GSP is coming to Bang with Hardy, he said in an interview that people would be supprised with how he fights this one when asked about Wrestling with Hardy... Seeing some Crazy spinning kicks and Dirty Boxing in these clips I think GSP might just come out and beat Hardy at his own game, Its not like GSP wasnt landing his shots on Alves who is a different class of striker to Hardy.

Anyone Else think GSP will stand with Hardy?

I wonder if anyone can tell me which early GSP fight he did a "pendulum sweep" when a fighter is on top of him? It was a fight before he was in UFC? Cheers.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP HL Video part one. Empty Re: GSP HL Video part one.

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 pm

GSP doesn't have a huge reach over Hardy though. If he hadn't had such a reach advantage against Alves he wouldn't have tried standing with him. If he stands with Hardy he could get KO'd.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Swick just didnt show up for the Hardy fight, if you watch David vs Hardy again its a fairly 50/50 fight on the feet. I think Hardy isnt much better than Davis Striking wise, I think GSP is a lot better than Either, I think once they start exchaning people will see how much more speed and snap GSP has on his Strikes.... Any Idea of which fight he pulled out that Sweep Anfield?.... You dont seem the biggest GSP fan, who you hoping wins him or Hardy?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Oh i hope GSP crushes Hardy! But still, his chin isn't the best and if he walks onto a solid shot then it might be curtains. I'd hate to see GSP lose to an average fighter like Hardy after beating great fighters like Fitch and Alves. Plus, i want to see him as champ once Thiago smashes up Fitch and gets another title shot!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Yeah Thiago is going to blow Fitch away, An Upkick Im is a shitty win and I question wether upkicks to the head have a place in MMA at all, it just stops fighers diving on the downed opponent because they could get planted with one. Fitch is getting KO'd this time for sure. I dont know why Alves looked so Shite against GSP, A bit more headmovement might help him, A few sessions with Shogun maby, bobbing and weaving in could help him close the distance and deliver his bombs.

Is GSP's chin really questionable, he has only been KO'd by Serra. I cant remember his being in that bad trouble in other fights, BJ Penn was getting the better of him on the feet in the 1st figth but I cant remember if GSP was rocked badly or anything.... might watch that one again. Can you think of any times youve seen him rocked. He seems to get a lot of shit for his chin after 1 KO loss.... Granted it was to Serra Laughing but still I think he gets labled with a questionable Chin too early... I think that he will Spark Hardy on the feet. I havnt seen maby of Hardys old fights is his chin really good?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:30 pm

He's not really fought big hitters to be fair. Penn beat him in the stand-up easily the first time they fought. And that was what ATT looked at when they were planning the GSP-Alves fight.

Thiago had, in theory, a great game plan but for whatever reason, they fucked up and didn't plan properly for the reach advantage. And everything got ruined. Next time he needs to be more agressive and try to smash GSP.

Hardy's chin seems fairly solid. I'm hearing good things about his ground game as well. He's been pretty much living with Eddie Bravo and has come on in great amounts. Working a huge amount on the rubber guard.

I've actually decided to make a pilgrimage to 10th planet JJ at some point and spend some time there working the rubber guard and the twister(bravo's top game). Apparently it can be very good for the hips and since mine are in bits it might help. Plus, Bravo seems like a really cool guy and he's an innovater. I'd love to develop my own strain of Judo in the way he has with BJJ. But that's sort of frowned upon by those above me!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:36 pm

i am looking forward to Fitch vs Alves.

i am hoping and thinking Fitch could pull it out, he has intestinal fortitude to go with his great skills.

but the way he was hurt in his last fight i'm thinking he could be on the business end of a knockout.

how can you question upkicks?

its a legit move. if you sont want to get hit by one dont put your face in range of their foot. UFC fighters have it easy they can drop to 1 knee and avoid them
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 pm

I think if upkicks are allowed then BRING BACK THE STOMPS! Haha!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:46 pm

That sounds cool, No Gi Judo for MMA sort of? Martial arts need to evolve im sure training with Bravo would be awsome... type of guy you think you could learn a lot from quickly... Make sure to go for a smoke with him of you do share some Ideas when your baked!! Laughing alien

I wouldnt mind getting into Judo again. By Brother who Boxes is back over here and he wants to do some Martial Art along with his Boxing, we were planning on BJJ but to be honest I found Judo far more fun.

Just Wondering Anfield, In Judo I seemed to find simple throws like Hip Throws and Shoulder throws (dont as me to spell the name!) easier to pull off because I was Shorter than most people, do you think People with a lower centre of Gravity are more Suited to Judo? It seemed that way, Strange that Aoki is so good then....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chesty im against Upkicks because if they werent there fighters wouldnt be so comfortable to lie on their back when the get dropped. It would encourage the Standing figher to try a Shogun/Fedor Superman into guard or just dive on him with some sort of offence with no feat of an upkick. At the end of the day its giving a weapon to the guy who is down, when they take away the kick to the head to the figher who is up. I think if Soccerkicks to a downed opponent are banned than Kicks to the head upwards should be banned too. It causes undiserved wins and stalls the action.

MMA fights would be generally much much more entertaining with Knees to the head of a grounded opponent and no upkicks, no knees in some positions and a figher lieing on his back flailing his legs to keep a fighter off him stalls the action.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:55 pm

fair enough but i disagree.

MMA to me is a just a fight, only with fighter safety taken into consideration.
    which is why the things that are banned are banned i.e spine strikes, eye gouging, groin shots, headbutts, elbows and stomps in some cases.etc.etc.

Taking out upkicks is making a fight unfair for the sake of entertainment.

stomps are a different issue afterall upkicks are against gravity, stomps have gravity behind them!!

that said, im not averse to stomps if its in a ring, in a cage its much more dangerous.

as for anfield's master plan...ive always wondered what no-gi judo would be like as a sport, but with the same scoring and such.

id imagine something like combat wrestling (wrestling with subs).
    although i have no idea how these fights are scored

confused

here is gomi:

edit: just seen this

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:02 am

GSP handled BJ's punches ok,the only punch that visibly hurt GSP was that uppercut BJ landed under the tip of his nose.

I think we have to put the Serra lose down to over confidence and lack of preparation really,because even though Serra is a compact powerful looking guy,he is in no way a renown power puncher.

it was a valuble lesseon that GSP had to learn,no matter how good you are,if you come into a top flight MMA match unprepared you are going to be in trouble.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:39 am

Ben, i personally prefer training with people who are taller than me, i can in under them, put my hip under their's and throw them with a lot of ease. Judo can suit people with low centres of gravity, or people with a strong solid base. It really depends on speed and technique to be honest. A lot of British trained Judoka's have horrible technique and just try and muscle themselves into dominance, which for me is always great fun. I just let them outmuscle me, regardless of how strong they are, i go limp, let them get their confidence and as they robotically try and execute some variety of throws or trip i just flow through it, reverse it and do what i want to do!

As for Gi or No gi, i believe in training both. Although no gi is, again, frowned upon by the purists. That reminds me, i need a new Gi. I've been promising myself one for about a year now. The one i wear mostly is in bits! the sleeves stop just below the elbow, the trousers are ripped up like 3/4 length shorts. Hideous looking!

Chesty, Combat wrestling is something i've actually being looking into of late, there's a guy in Hove who trains it and i was going to go and see what ideas i can pick up(meaning steal from him!). To be honest, there's not really much you can do with the throws, sweeps, trips etc. You can modify footwork, positioning and grips but the basics will be the same, it's more when it hits the ground that i'll try to work on. I love the idea of using your feet as an extra set of hands to control your opponent whilst on the ground.

That video from combat Judo is horrendous. Every attempt at a Judo throw fails miserably. The technique is shocking. The chap is green is a no talent wrestler and the other kid is a weed! awful awful awful. Hurts my hips just watching that!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 am

payneNglory1 wrote:GSP handled BJ's punches ok,the only punch that visibly hurt GSP was that uppercut BJ landed under the tip of his nose.

I think we have to put the Serra lose down to over confidence and lack of preparation really,because even though Serra is a compact powerful looking guy,he is in no way a renouned power puncher.

it was a valuble lesseon that GSP had to learn,no matter how good you are,if you come into a top flight MMA match unprepared you are going to be in trouble.

I'd say thats the dumbest thing I've thing i've ever claimed Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Great vid, thanks for sharing. GSP will beat Hardy I think, technichally he has better striking, not as much power but his kicks are a lot better. He should have no problems taking Hardy down if needbe.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Cracking vid Very Happy GSP is going to destroy Hardy, and every other WW in the UFC. He won't be beaten soon.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I think GSP gets unnecessary smack for getting TKO'd by the Terror, it's the only time he's ever been seriously rocked, and I'm certain that he got caught in an area of the temple that just happens to be one of those areas where any half decent punch landed will disorientate you long enough to lose your footing and then get pounced on....

He took BJ's best, and while Anfield is absolutely right that BJ dominated that first round, the point is that GSP took the busted nose and the eye poke and pretty much shrugged them off to come back stronger in the 2nd and 3rd. I don't think he has any kind of glass jaw, and I also have seen very very little in Hardy's arsenal to suggest that he's a heavy hitter. His only recent KO win was over Rory Markham, whose losses have ALL come via KO or TKO.

Interestingly, just noticed that Marcus Davis fought Thiago Alves to a split decision loss in 2003 on some random card in Massachusets!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm