THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
redmeanie77
Paolo_73
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
crazzycat
Moose Stuff For Money...
10 posters

Joe Rogan likes Pride rules

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Joe Rogan likes Pride rules Empty Joe Rogan likes Pride rules

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm

I was in the green room of the Icehouse comedy club in between shows Friday night, and we were watching “The Best of Pride” on Spike TV. If you’re new to the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, Pride was a big organization from Japan that was in competition with the UFC until the UFC purchased them. They had some insane fights over there, and some of the greatest fighters ever carved out the majority of their career there.
    There was something extra special about those fights. Part of it was that they were in Japan, and their culture is so much different than ours. The pageantry of the event was off the charts – giant video screen entrances that really built up the hype, and rules that were quite different than we have here.
    First of all, they didn’t allow elbows on the ground, because they caused cuts and they didn’t like the idea of a cut stopping a fight. Although elbows on the ground are very effective weapons, the people running Pride felt like it was better to leave them out to avoid potential indecisive doctor stoppages. What they were allowed to do however, is stomp each other in the head while they’re down and soccer kick each other in the face while they’re down. THAT is some pretty brutal shit, and there’s something about that added element of danger that just cranks the dial up on the excitement meter considerably when you’re watching it.

I was watching the fights in the green room Friday night with a buddy, and when Shogun tried to stomp Little Nog’ and punt his head while he was standing over him my friend audibly gasped.
    He’s not a martial artist, but he is a fan of the UFC and enjoys some pretty brutal fights, but the purity of intent he witnessed in that move – completely without remorse – of standing over a guy laying on the ground and trying to smash his head like a roach – that kinda freaked him out.
    “That’s too much.” He said. “That’s like they’re trying to kill each other.”

I can kind of see where he’s coming from. At least the fights that take place in the UFC under the guidelines of the unified ruled don’t allow such savagery. Stomps and soccer kicks are quite a bit more dangerous with the cage too, because a fighter can get trapped against it and not be able to move their head out of the way like they would be able to in a ring.
    I agree with it, but I have to admit there’s something extra crazy about watching fights where they’re allowed to do shit like that. I’m not saying we should allow it back, but FUCK it made some of those fights intense.

One of the fights on Spike Friday night was Rampage vs Arona, a fight that ended with the most insane slam in the history of the sport. Rampage was caught in Arona’s triangle, and he hoisted him through the air up over his head like a pillow and slammed the back of his skull into the floor in fly swatter fashion, knocking him completely unconscious. I remember having seen it at home thinking it was the scariest thing I’ve ever seen in sports. I, and the folks watching it with me that night were legitimately concerned that Arona might in fact be dead. The sheer savagery of the slam forced me to rewind it at least 5 times, because it couldn’t possibly been as bad as I thought it was.
    Every time I watched it, the crazier it seemed.

Another thing I really liked about Pride rules was their judging of a fight.
    They treated the fight as a whole unit, and the rounds were just to give the fighters a break so that they could refresh and charge out harder. The rounds were not counted as individual units, but rather strung together as a whole and judged as a complete fight, just how God intended it to be done.

The first round was 10 minutes long, a concept I also liked.
    Nothing more frustrating than when you’re watching a good, close fight, and one guy struggles for 4:30 trying to get his opponent down on the ground, and when he finally does the bell goes off in 30 seconds. I like the idea of giving fighters the extra time to work, and breaking it up when it’s just starting to shift momentum can be frustrating. I could see the argument that a 10 minute round is just too long for guys to go all out, but that just means that they have to be better conditioned and better at pacing themselves. Over all, these rule differences; the longer first round, the fight being judged as a whole, and brutality of stomps and soccer kicks made Pride rules much closer to the idea behind the original UFC.

I think in order for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts to move forward and be accepted by mainstream culture it’s important that we adhere to the guidelines we operate under right now with the unified rules. It’s plenty exciting just the way it is, and what’s really important right now is moving the sport forward and getting it sanctioned in more states and more countries. The rules we have right now are fine.
    That said, it sure is nice that we have all these awesome fights from Pride to watch now too. I think when all is said and done the Pride years will go down as some of the most important moments in the sports development and history. Having these shows airing on Spike right now is a real fucking treat.
    http://blog.joerogan.net/#
    crazzycat
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Joe Rogan likes Pride rules Empty Re: Joe Rogan likes Pride rules

Post  crazzycat Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:44 pm

such kind of data is always interesting to read
    ----------

In our attorneys we trust...

Last edited by crazzycat on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Pride was far better than the unified rules, fights were so much more exciting.... I dont think Soccerkicks and Stomps will ever be brough back though Id like to see Knees to the head on the groud and the Scoring system improted from Pride. Knees to the head would mean a lot more action on the ground were there currently is stalling....

The Scoring system would mean less controversial decisions (Although pride had its fair share too!) as the 10 point must is rediculous for MMA, Its easy to Fix but I think UFC officials are scared to try and change anything because UFC is growing as a sport and any changes could upset their steady growth or change peoples view of UFC.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Joe Rogans thoughts on Strikeforce Miami.

"I was just thinking about how f**king fun it is to watch shows when you don't have to commentate. I love working for the UFC, and the job is a complete and total honor, and one of the coolest jobs on the planet, but it's so much f**king fun to watch fights when you don't have to talk all the time. After all these years of being an MMA fan, it's still just as exciting."

"Nick Diaz is a f**king MONSTER. That dude just gets better with every performance, and he was in some rare air last night. Brutal body shots, and relentless striking. I thought it was f**king awesome."

"The Lawler fight was insane. That was one of the greatest, come from behind KO's ever, and the fact that he only landed 3 punches makes the story perfect. That shit was MMA history. People will be talking about that KO for decades."

I like Rogan and don't understand why he gets so much shit from some people,he's got a great knowledge of the sport and loves the sport with a passion,also he is never affraid to give credit where it is deserved.He's quite often praised fighters like Fedor and Aoki while he is commentating live for the UFC.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:22 pm

I've got no issues with Joe either, I don't really know what more people want than a guy who loves the sport, understands the technicalities and talks well on the mic.....

I think it comes down to just bashing the UFC for the sake of it sometimes. If Rogan went to Strikeforce I reckon he'd suddenly become really popular, and ironically I think he'd work well with Frank Shamrock. he probably also suffers from some of Goldberg's nonsense rubbing off on him through association.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Joe Rogan isnt popular? Weird, guy calls fight very well, is very clued up about whats going on, knows the sports history and is a huge fan! Wouldnt swap him for any other announcer. Rogan is a Legend. A bit Bios to his favorite fighters but the only announcers who arent Bios are crap colour commentators who know feck all about the sport... Aslo he loves his smoke and has quality Tats! Laughing
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 pm

I think Rogan could do a great job as play by play commentator (Goldbergs job), he can call all the basics as well as give some knowledgeabble comment about the fight(ers). And can also discuss the fight with other colour commentator like Mir or Florian or Couture. Or one of colour commentators outside the UFC.

Bottom line, lets get rid of Goldie.

Ben we should come up with that list of comments from commentators, for that drinking game. Very Happy
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:48 pm

How awesome would it be to all meet up somewhere and have an annual armbar dinner or something, where we watch a big event live after a meal and play the drinking game!
    2 fingers every time Goldberg says 'classy', 3 fingers for 'one of the most beloved fighters', and 4 fingers every time he calls Rogan 'partner' drunken
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:48 pm

i tend to disagree with all joe rogan (the comedian) 's opinions, but he is a good commentator, it does bother me a bit though that he was never a pro fighter.

all the other colour commentators have real life experience to draw from, joe is just a hardcore mma fan who is comfortable with an audience and its a disservice to the fans and the ufc. for example:

fan #1 "who is this know-it-all?"

fan #2 "some pot-head comedian"

fan#1 "well at least he found another career after retiring from mma lol"

fan #2 "he never competed in mma"

its annoying to me. Razz Embarassed
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:08 am

I like Rogan as a comedian but i can't stand him as a commentator. He's stupidly biased and refuses to call fights impartially. His alleged "knowledge" of all things BJJ is actually called "having Eddie Bravo sitting beside you".

Rogan is not good at his job. Look at his biggest competition. Mauro Ranello. No comparison. Ranello's knowledge of the sport, ability to call a fight and ability to stay impartial are all levels above Rogan.

That being said, perhaps Rogan with someone other than Goldberg might be less annoying.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

Mauro Ranello

Really because a lot of people were horrified with his commentating in the Hershal Walker fight. He is a good commentater but I wouldn't say levels above Rogan.

Goldberg has no business commentating because he doesn't no shit about MMA. They should bring in Bas Rutten and his hilarious personality. Personally right now my prefered commentry team is The Voice and Mezger. Id like to see more fighters commentate when they aren't fighting, so KenFlo, Mir, Randy ect.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 am

Yeah the Dream pairing are excellent. I'd love to have The Voice, Ranello and Frank Shamrock. With Eddie Bravo stoned and offering opinions between rounds. I miss that about UFC events. Bravo used to be excellent. Rogan could do the in-ring interviews and that's enough of that from him.

The whole of America and probably the whole of the MMA universe wanted to see Walker win, Ranello got carried away. Although Walker was clearly winning the fight. It wasn't like Rogan on Shogun-Machida, or Diaz-Maynard.

Bas is a terrible commentator to be fair. He is funny, but if you want funny, Rogan is a hilarious fucker.

Goldberg is awful though. A goldberg and goldberg commentary duo would be possibly the worst thing ever.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:14 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Goldberg is awful though. A goldberg and tito commentary duo would be possibly the worst thing ever.

fixed it for ya cheers
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 am

Oh god. Just had an Affliction flashback. Tito as post fight interviewer! Awful.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:19 am

I think Tito's biggest challenge in his life has been to understand the English Language, The Affliction event was painful to watch.

Still Bill Goldberg is absolutley dreadful as well.

Personally I think Mezger is underated as a commenter.
    honours_t
    honours_t
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  honours_t Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Paolo_73 wrote:How awesome would it be to all meet up somewhere and have an annual armbar dinner or something, where we watch a big event live after a meal and play the drinking game!
    2 fingers every time Goldberg says 'classy', 3 fingers for 'one of the most beloved fighters', and 4 fingers every time he calls Rogan 'partner' drunken

Mate, the thought of the banter and the in depth analysis of fights after so many fingers of boooooze just sent my heart in a flutter!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm