THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
payneNglory1
sunthunder
kavik2
7 posters

pride rules

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

pride rules Empty pride rules

Post  kavik2 Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:54 pm

jrecently watched pride fighting decade again, and just wanred 2 guage opinion on how if pride rules were used in the ufc of here and now, would they work for or against brock and gsp? picked 2 fighters who weren't in pride obviously, would they have both used knees to a grounded opponent to brutal effect or alternatively would they get battered and bullied with more options for there opponent when on the ground and a card system and referee who wont let u pray your way 2 victory, should add fights still in cage not a ring
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

pride rules Empty Re: pride rules

Post  sunthunder Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

GSP would be an animal if he could knee guys from side control/north south. Lesnar could do some real damage but it's all dependent on if he gets the takedown or if he sprawls a shot to get on top of a guy. They could just as easily work badly against him against guys like Carwin or Velasquez seeing as Lesnar can't retain guard at all.

They'd work most in favour of Rampage, his knees from side control were absolutely devastating.

I don't think standups would come into it. There were quite a few bullshit standups in Pride, I'd rather not see any of that anymore. True lay and pray is very rare and it's not the issue people think it is.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

I think GSP would benefit from Pride rules,he would be even more dominant than what he already is,if you gave him those extra weapons to add to his arsenal.
    GSP's already a master of controlling where the fight takes place,so chances are that GSP would be the one in position to land knees to the head and not the other way around.

If brock, a 280 lb guy gets you in North south and starts landing knees to the head,which he is more than capable of getting someone in that position with his wrestling control,like what he was doing to Herring all fight,your going to be in trouble,but as for using them against him,i think the best plan is to get brock on his back and pound him with strikes,as we have seen,he flails around and turtles up there,it's a common saying but it couldn't be more true with brock,wrestlers do not like to be on there backs,(nor being punched in the face in brocks case)where as i think using knees to the head of brock would actually give brock a better chance of grabbing a leg and using his wrestling skills to escape more punishment and maybe put you on your back.

I wouldn't want Pride rules in anyway,I'm happy with the rules we have now,there's a few little rules that i'd change like the 12-6 elbows,but I don't want to see knees or kicks to the head of a grounded opponent,especially in a cage where you could trap an opponents head to do them.
    I think the rules are fine,it's purely the judging and scoring system that needs changing for me.

I agree with Sun,I don't think that lay and pray is that much of a problem in MMA,yeah sometimes i think some refs should of acted a little quicker in warning or standing some fighters up but I still think it's very rare and it's not really a problem.

I don't want to see constant stand ups after 30 secs of two guys fighting for control on the ground,these are top fighters that need time to work,so let them work.

A good ref should talk to the fighters,and be able to tell when they have reached a stalemate on the ground before he stands them up,afterall this is mixed martial arts and big part of the game is supposed to be grappling isn't it,also certain fighters use the ground,not so much as a place where they are going to sub there opponent,but a place where they can wear there opponents down so they have a better chance of finishing them in the later rds.

I thought the ref in the OSP - Humphrey fight the other night was crap personally,as soon as they hit the ground he was warning them that he'll stand them up,then he gave them hardly anytime to work,probably 20 secs max before he stood them up,which i thought was shit.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 pm

If we're talking full on Pride rules then Shogun immediately becomes the worlds number 1 fight. Allowing him to use flying stomps and soccer kicks now since he has improved his kicking technique so much would be amazing.

I think GSP would suffer because I don't think his wrestling would be as effective in Pride as it is in the UFC. The ring makes a huge difference. GSP's actual wrestling is average, his takedowns are brilliant but he tends to use the cage a lot in his takedowns.

Brock with knees to the head would be a monster, unfortunately he'd also be a pussy who's scared of getting hit.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Scoring Fixed:

Rounds are scored like this...

.The Looser of a round gets 0 points

.In the event of a Draw both fighters get 0 points

.The winner of the round is scored between 1-10 depending on how badly the won.

Look at it this way fights scored as a whole is better the Idea of winning rounds in a 3 round fight doesnt make sence like it does for Boxing, or even K-1 where you get -1 points for a Knockdown. In K-1 Or Boxing Maynard would have come away with a 10-5 1st round because of 4 Knockdowns. Under the unified rules it was 10-8 across the Board and this is a big problem. Under this system Maynard wins the round and gets 10 points.

Edar still has 4 rounds with 40 points potentially up for grabs so its not handing the fight to Maynard based on 1 round though it is recognising that he won big time and I think thats important.

Likewise in the Rampage vs Machida fight neither man won big in the 1st 2 rounds, many 2 points to the winner in each round? Regardless of those rounds Machida dominated the 3rd round, there was a Knockdown and he landed much more strikes maby a 7 point round meaning he would win 6-7 even if you gave Rampage the 1st 2 rounds by 3 points.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Judgong Criteria is ok to me at the minute

"Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense"

With the simple removal or making it clear that control of the fighting area is fairly minor and very low scoring thing. Turtle fucking a guy for 5 mins is control of the fighting area but its a 1 point round if no GnP is landed or Subs attempted.

Wrestlers arent getting peanislsed here take Sonnen's GnP they guy wins a round because of Damage and striking as well as Grappling so its a high scoring round where as some of the less active Wrestlers are picking up much less points for doing less.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm

The best Rule set would allow for some of the techniques used in Pride, I dont think Stomps, Jumping on peoples heads and Knees to the top of the head from the North/South position are a good Idea, they are dangerous, some impact the Spine and some impact the head off the Canvis with the strike....

Now show he a good reason why soccer kicks Ie round houses in a sidewards or upwards motion are worse than anything used currently, like a Thai Clintch Knee or en Elbow from Mount. 12-6 Elbows clearly back in and Also Knees can be used to the Face, not the top of the head... From side positions Knees arent rediculously damaging as the head doesnt bounce into the Canvis the arguement can be made that they are safter than Elbows because of it.

This rule would also stop the "Ive one finger on the floor you cant Knee me" Rule which is absolute Bollox! Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I used to really like the open guard rule from Cage Rage. I think it was great.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:I used to really like the open guard rule from Cage Rage. I think it was great.

wasnt that where you were allowed to use stomps/soccer kicks when a certain distance from the cage (1m?)

it would be perfect, UFC already have that random black line aroud the octagon! Razz
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:I used to really like the open guard rule from Cage Rage. I think it was great.

wasnt that where you were allowed to use stomps/soccer kicks when a certain distance from the cage (1m?)

it would be perfect, UFC already have that random black line aroud the octagon! Razz

Yeah, it had to be more than a certain distance, and you had to have been standing out of the other persons gaurd for a certain period of time.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 am

the cage rage rules would work, is this something that is getting looked into.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:15 am