THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
Ginginho
Paddyjock
pinsman
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
hendos_right_hook
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
14 posters

Open Weight Tourtument 14th fight

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Open Weight Tourtument 14th fight Empty Open Weight Tourtument 14th fight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 pm

BJ Penn vs Rich Franklin

Current UFC LW champion "The Prodigy" takes on former MW champion Rich "Ace" Franklin in an exciting fight between two well rounded fighters. Can BJ defy the odds against his much bigger opponent or can Rich use his pace and cardio to overwhelm BJ Penn. Let the votes begin.

Im picking Franklin by TKO (body shot) in the 4th.

Note:Any picks against Rich Franklin will not be taken into consideration Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Open Weight Tourtument 14th fight Empty Re: Open Weight Tourtument 14th fight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 pm

i got BJ by KO in the 2nd round. seriously! What a Face

(sorry chelsea but i think when this fight goes to the ground BJ will end up on top and KO him)
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Franklin UD
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:55 pm

BJ, rear naked choke in the 2nd
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:36 pm

BJ wins this one i'm afraid. just a better allround game and better punch resistance.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Ace Ventura tko rd 2

Size difference proves to be too much for BJ to handle
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:28 pm

BJ fought Machida who's bigger and a lot better than Franklin and gave him the closest fight of his career up until the Shogun fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:58 pm

Penn, 3rd round stoppage! As Anfield says MAchida vs Penn was close enough Machida number 2 in his devision (Yeah Anfield number 2 tongue ) But Rich and him are at opposite ends of the Lhw rankings anyway. Penn boxing is so good and with the extra size I think he would have the power to put Rich away. (I think Rich would have won a round going into the 3rd though!)
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am

Franklin TKO 2nd fau shau buddies
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Penn, 3rd round stoppage! As Anfield says MAchida vs Penn was close enough Machida number 2 in his devision (Yeah Anfield number 2 tongue ) But Rich and him are at opposite ends of the Lhw rankings anyway. Penn boxing is so good and with the extra size I think he would have the power to put Rich away. (I think Rich would have won a round going into the 3rd though!)

Are we counting Fedor without the gut as a LHW?
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 am

BJ via rear naked choke in the 4th.

BJ is just too good for Rich I'm afraid. Everything that Rich is good at I would rate BJ better. GSP has the wrestling on BJ but Rich doesn't.

Its a fight I'd like to see though!!
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:18 am

I'm going BJ by submission in the 3rd. It would be an awesome fight too
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 am

BJ 3rd round Sub. Just think that BJ is technically better. Has good punch resistance and amazing take down defence. Don't see size being a major factor either.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Exactly. Franklin isn't an over-powering fighter. His wrestling is non-existent and he sucks in the clinch. Franklin's only advantage would be his reach over BJ but i don't think Franklin has the power to KO Penn or even rock him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Penn better on the feet and ground and his wrestling is better, Defensivley anyway! I dont see this as a good fight for Rich, I dont think he would get dominated but BJ has never had a problem with bigger guys apart from GSP in the rematch.

When Penn was coming back to UFC he tried to demand an openweight fight with Arlovski!!! what a crazy mother fucker!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Fuck you guys Laughing

Seriously though, I think its a tough fight for BJ because Rich is a lot bigger than a fit BJ Penn. If BJ put the weight on he looses conditioning and Rich has excellent conditioning. BJ has a legendary chin but Rich aims for the body and those kicks hurt, it could get him in the gut or the rib. Don't think BJ could KO Franklin, he couldn't Ko Kenny or Sanchez.

Machida is no where near the fighter he is now when he fought BJ. Styles wise Machida isn't made for BJ, if they were both 155 BJ would beat him I think. I actually think BJ would beat most fighters if they were all the same weight but a size disadvanatge would affect him in this fight.

Franklin is pretty good on the ground, I think his long limbs could help him defend the submissions. Franklin is hard to takedown as well, BJ Penn doesn't have great takedowns unless its Kenny Florian.

Ill call this fight soon, unfortunatley I have to go with the majority of votes Crying or Very sad
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:39 pm

I always back the bigger skilled guy against the much smaller highly skilled guy.

No ones managed to KO BJ yet and Franklin isn't subbing him,but then again,Franklin wasn't the former MW champ by luck,plus the only people Rich has lost to are Silva,Macheda,Belfort and Hendo,arguable 3 of the best MW's ever and the current no1 LHW king(for now maybe),I think BJ loses to all these also,so Franklin UD.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 pm

They have a common opponent around the same time. Lyoto Machida. Bj gave him a close fight. Rich got a beating. Bj is better in every aspect and has improved more over the years than Rich.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 pm

MMAth never works...... also Machida is alot better now than he was back then.

Its an open wieght fight, so Rich can come in as big as he can, while BJ will more than likely gas after carrying much bigger weight that he is used to fighting, and its 5 rounds also.

Do we know the results of the weighin chelsea?? Did BJ look in shape? Wink
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Rich Came in at 210 and BJ came in something like this:

Open Weight Tourtument 14th fight Roy-nelson

Laughing
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:37 pm

BJ rnc round 3
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Bump
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm surprised everyone's gone for the prodigy. Rich has some pretty decent sub defence as demonstrated against Lutter, so combined with his size and weight advantage I don't see him tapping. He's much more athletic than BJ so cardio won't be a problem, and I don't see how BJ knocks him out standing whilst Rich has decent hands and BJ is giving away such a lot of reach.

I see this going like GSP vs BJ 1, in other words a bit of back and forth and a close decision. Purely because I like Rich I'll give it to him. Let's not forget that Thiago Silva also got destroyed by Machida, and I'd assume not many people would give Penn the nod over him?.....
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 pm

well im ont doubting Rich has good sub defence, even though the escape against Lutter was a very basic escape unless they have a really tight grip on your wrist.

but Florian and Stevenson are blackbelts!! and were embarrased by BJ when it hit the ground.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:10 am

Chelsea is slacking off! I think he just can't face calling the fight against Rich!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:42 am