THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Question on an MMA technique..

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Question on an MMA technique.. Empty Question on an MMA technique..

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Aleks Emelianenko is you all know is one of my Favorite MMA fighers, I think his standup has always been good and his ground game has vastly improved as he is coming into his prime...

One thing ive always critisized is his low hands when he fights. Most times it appears that he is using the boxing defensive technique technique.. if you dont know its having the lead hand down like this

Question on an MMA technique.. D535a3c9461d14ff

and shots are blocked with only the rear hand... like this

Question on an MMA technique.. Box_g_jones_trinidad4_580

Now it got me thinking clearly Aleks isnt athletic enough to effectivly use the shoulder roll as a defensive technique and it leaves his chin open but is he using in to counter a takedown? Anyone who has grappled knows that the worst thing to have when someone shoots of grapples is both your arms above his and with 1 arm down you will at least end up in an Over/Under position.

Is Aleks using this as more of a takedown defence? because it does seem to be effective, he was able to shrug off solid Double leg attempts by Barnett? If he is more worried about the groundgame than taking shots on teh feet perhaps this is a great technique for other ballsy strikers to put into practice?

Or an I reading too much into it? Is it just Aleks being lazy or perhaps wanting to look like Mayweather or Jones when he is boxing? Id love to hear peoples thoughs on this wether or not you have genuine grappling experience...

For Pummeling in MMA you need to start with 1 hand under 1 hand over Ie
    Question on an MMA technique.. Dave-crowding-Bobby
    Question on an MMA technique.. Couture%201

This puts you on an even footing when grappling, If an oppenent has both of his arms over yours it means he can lean on you being your back backward and score an easy Greco Roman takedown or he can sing in a thai clintch... Even a doubleg shot as opposed to a greco roman clintch you want to get under your opponents arms to scoop him up

Question on an MMA technique.. Up-BNBBP23IS3U5Q4B5

What do you think is a "Shoulder Roll" or "philly shell" a good technique in MMA to stuff takedowns? If so has Aleks picked up on it hence the low hands?

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 am