THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
great_ginger_10
Anfields5thKing
6 posters

Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg Empty Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:19 am

Nate Diaz believes he was robbed.

Just two days removed from his split decision loss to Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 20 in Fairfax, Va., the 24-year-old Stockton, Calif., fighter pointed the finger at numerous culprits, including the sport’s media, UFC commentators Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg, and the bout’s judges.

“I sat down. I watched (the fight),” Diaz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday. “I just think I won all together every round, personally, and that's about it. I think I won. I mean the only people that thought I didn't win were the judges and Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan.”

Diaz took particular umbrage with UFC commentators Goldberg and Rogan, who, along with the sport’s media, framed the bout around the title implications it held for Maynard.

“They go on there and they talk about him (Gray Maynard) fighting for the title before (and) that's what people are already thinking about,” said the lightweight fighter. “‘Gray Maynard's getting ready for a title fight.’ They didn't even talk about what I'm doing or anything. They're talking about Gray's big night the whole show, you know? I think they put a negative outlook on me from the beginning just talking so negative how I was doing from the start, how I don't hit hard and how he was doing.”

Diaz, the winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” argued that the longtime commentary team had an unfair influence over the public, including the three judges officiating the bout.

“The commentary screwed me; the whole judges had a negative outlook on me since the beginning of the fight,” he said. “Nobody watched the fight. They listened to the critics. It's easy for Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg to sit there in a chair and say what's going on when they're not getting in there. They're not throwing punches.”

Diaz also urged fans to watch the bout again with their TV volumes turned down.

“Watch the fight closely. Watch the landed shots. I'm noticing when I'm landing shots, Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg are criticizing the shots and criticizing what I'm doing while I'm hitting him and talking about how good Gray Maynard is while I'm hitting him,” said Diaz. “Watch how much Gray Maynard backs up. Judge the fight, since it's standing up the whole time, on who threw the most punches, who landed the most punches, who threw the most kicks and who landed the most kicks. There were no takedowns so you might as well just judge it like it's a boxing match. There was no clinch… turn the mute button on (for) that fight. Don't listen to the bulls--- the commentators are saying… I just want to say I think I got robbed.”

-------------------------------------

I thought he lost the fight but i'm going to watch it again without the sound. I did think Rogan and Goldberg were quite bias towards Maynard but not enough to influence people.

This is becoming a regular thing with Rogan and Goldberg. It's something the UFC need to look into.
    great_ginger_10
    great_ginger_10
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg Empty Re: Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg

Post  great_ginger_10 Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 am

Does he realise that the judges don't watch the fight on TV so they won't hear Rogan or Goldberg. Both the Diaz brothers are so full of shit its unbelievable. They have a excuse for everything. Nate also said in an interview after the fight that his brother was the best fighter in the world at everything, something along the lines of he has the best stand up, best jits and best wrestling.
    He lost the fight simple as that needs to man up and take the loss and learn from it to become a beter fighter.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg Empty Re: Nate "the not so great" has a rant about Rogan and Goldberg

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 am

I agree Anfield the Commentary is wildly Bios and thats one of the reasons I want Golodie replaced. He doesnt form opinions of his own. If Rogan starts being Bios you can bet your left nut Goldie will back the same guy.

I think the fight could have gone either way, Diaz outstruck him acording to compustrike. He landed more punches and more kicks... That being said a higher percentage of Maynards were classed as power punches.. which is to be expected as the taller fighters is going to land more strikes.

It was a pretty 50/50 fight, I think a draw because looking close Maynards Knockdowns were stumbles and trips but he propperly dropped Diaz. I can see how Diaz is annoyed at the commentary. The commentators always say him and his borther have no punch power, saying that Nick was able to finish F.Shammy who is very thickly set with a bodypunch and Nate Dropped MAynard... they have lanky armpunches but judging by the facial Damage as Diaz pounted out there punches are more powerfull than they look.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:15 am

Actually read this

"Diaz landed 77 of 259 strikes, dwarfing Maynard's output of 52 landed strikes out of 153 attempted. The difference lies on the strikes thrown. Maynard landed three times as many power shots to the head (19 to 6) and five times as many to the body (10 to 2). Out of Diaz's 77 successful strikes, over half (49) were designated as head jabs"

Suppose the decision was right then... Still a SD is a hard loss to take. I understand his Anger at the Commentators but the decision was fair enough, in some flurries it was hard to judge who was getting off more but I think a SD to Maynard is as fair as you can get apart from a Draw maby.... Diaz shouldnt crack up. A SD loss to a potential number 1 contender moves him up the rankings if anything and im sure in UFC's and Joe Silva's eyes they dont just see a loss. Im sure it raised Nates stock... he would be better to act Humble and im sure his next fight would be a big one.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 pm

lol, dont think its in his nature to be humble

personally i thought he got the fight, seems a strange idea that successful workrate can be beaten by a few haymakers
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

As you guys have already pointed out I think Rogan and Gold.. can be very Bias towards one fighter and to be hounist it does sway a large part of the viewing audience. For an example the Machida vs Shogun fight, now I believe Shogun won, but this was probably helped by the fact Rogan and co were completely Bias towards him. Its good to have opinions and I like them both as commentators but I think having different views over the way a fight is going would be more entertaining than, "yeh Joe I love you so much, Yea Joe I would love to lick your arse, Yea Joe i'll be your bitch".

Just my opinion...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:24 pm

He was right and wrong. He was wrong because he didn't win the fight, he lost all three rounds IMO. But he is right about the biased commentry, Rogan has a bad habit of doing that. I like Rogan, I think he is a good commentater, normally knows what he is talking about, appreciates other fighters in differt orgs and rarely makes mistakes but he still has those bias fights. Goldberg should be replaced because he knows very little about MMA, and know the best he can do is follow Rogan's every word. I like a commentater who can oppose Rogan's view and see other views. Any time Goldberg tries to make a point, it often ends up embarissingly off the mark (I.E Lutter is Michael Jordan-esque with BJJ Laughing ) He needs to go, Rogan can stay for entertainment and knowledge factors.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:31 am