THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
6 posters

Don Frye Retires

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Don Frye Retires Empty Don Frye Retires

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 pm

The day you thought would never come...

Chances are that if you’ve been watching television over the past couple weeks you may have noticed the new AT&T ad campaign for its latest Blackberry phones.

Shortly after the campaign started, MMA fans began to notice that one of the commercial’s stars looked very familiar.

With an unmistakable gruffness, chiseled jaw line, and trademark mustache it became clear that the commercials were the latest foray into acting for former UFC and Pride star Don “The Predator” Frye.

“I got lucky, the luck of the Irish,” said Frye of his recent acting exploits. “Michael Mann likes me for some reason. He’s put me to work three times; on Miami Vice, Public Enemies, and then he chose me for the AT&T commercial.

“I always have a great time working with Michael Mann. He’s a class act. The food is top of the line, the accommodations are top of the line, and he treats everybody with respect – that is very uncommon in the MMA world.”

While Frye had initially intended acting to be something of a side gig, he has enjoyed increasingly better opportunities from it, leading him to decide it is time to step away from the sport that first put him on the worldwide scene.

“I’m pretty much quitting MMA. I’ve had enough of the (expletive). I’m done with it,” announced Frye. “The competitive urges still flow through me, but I’m tired of the (expletive) of the promoters.

“I’m tired of the (expletive) treatment, being lied to and tired of getting bounced checks from people. They can go pound sand as far as I’m concerned.”

With his announcement, Frye joins Quinton “Rampage” Jackson as fighters who’ve decided to make acting their main occupation. And Frye is working hard to become better at it.

“I’m taking acting lessons up in Scottsdale from Peter Stelzer and his wife, Marla Finn. They’re putting up with me enough to take my money and correct my stupidity,” chuckled Frye.

“It’s hard work. It’s not like you just stand there in front of the camera, make faces and read lines – you’ve got to put effort into it.”

As Frye puts it, acting is a respectful profession, unlike what he feels MMA has become.

“The fight game isn’t a respectful profession any more,” he stated. “They’ve made a mockery out of it by letting Jose Canseco fight, and now Hershel Walker, and all these other jackasses in their 40’s who have never fought.

“They’re getting paid more than the guys who have been putting years into it. It’s an embarrassment and a shame.”

While Frye’s not sure what kind of acting opportunity he’ll have next, he’s open to anything, and regrets nothing of his decision to leave the fight game behind.

“I’m starting over again, starting on the bottom, but I’ve got nothing to complain about,” he said. “As long as I’m working, I’m healthy and my family’s healthy, there’s nothing in the world to complain about.

“I’d love to work with (Clint) Eastwood on a western. It’s always fun to hop on a horse and shoot somebody.”

Having given all he can to the sport that helped make him famous, Frye enters a new decade with a positive attitude and hope that fans will continue to support him, regardless of profession.

“I’ve had a hell of a run,” exclaimed Frye. “I appreciate the fans. Bob Meyrowitz was a great promoter back when he ran the UFC; he treated the fighters with respect. I had a great time in Japan. I’ve got nothing to complain about.

“What a great time I’ve had. I wish I could do more for the fans. I wish I could come back for another one, but until the promoters straighten out, they can all go pound sand.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10301&zoneid=13
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Don Frye Retires Empty Re: Don Frye Retires

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Yeah read that a few days ago, pretty sad to see because I love Frye... he is the hardest man in MMA history. Him and Clint Eastwood in a western is something I would watch for sure!!!

His MMA career was all but done anyway, he lost to Minowa and Pee Wee Herman and I think 5-10 years ago he would have battered eather of them comfortabally. Im gutted he didnt make more out of his career. I wonder if Coleman would have beaten him so comfortabally under unified rules with drug testing??

Now its the question is now he has retired are we still keeping him out of the HOF?

20-8-1

He Finished all his wins inside the distance Bar Shammy and Yvel who was a DQ.

He won 3 seperate UFC tournaments

His Big wins are Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott (I dont care what people say Abbott was a huge win back in the day) Gilbert Yvel, Cyril Abidi, Gary Goodridge, Amaury Bitetti (may not look good on paper but had a BB in BJJ and Judo which was something back in the day as well as Muay thai training)

Im not sure he was a grizzled old veteran and im a massive fan but I dont know wether a win over Shammy is enough to put him in... then again he went out more gracefully than Shammy who hasnt been removed....

Anyway good luck to him, I really hope he makes it as a movie tough guy.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:22 pm

lol would be good ben apart from eastwood now never appearing on screen again.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:58 pm

check this out (don frye's advert), pretty cool.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Chesty video that didnt post
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Chesty video that didnt post

haha what an lemon! i just forgot to put the link Laughing

Embarassed

http://www.onestepaheadmovie.com/
    Fedorable
    Fedorable
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Fedorable Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:55 am

I love the story of when he first came face to face with Wandy. He was geared up to bang and walked toward Silva in a car park thinkin they would kick off, and Wandy said 'hi, would you like some gum' lol. We can talk about great fighters but Frye is just fucking hard, and the Takayama fight will go down in the folklore of MMA.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:22 pm

heavily drunk Don Frye gets beaten in a streetfight by Dog-the-bounty-hunter's bodyguard, a former pro boxer.

Early stoppage IMO, he was going for a double leg.

bad referreeing by the crowd of people watching.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Any man who gets both ankles broken and keeps fighting, and actually wins the fight, is a seriously tough cunt!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42 pm

That was sad to see, who was the bodyguard? any Idea who he is? Dog's kid did MMA I saw him and preyed he didnt beat up Frye! I think he was shite at MMA I think.... Theres a relly funny video were some Hawaians who beat Him and his son up... thats the only funny or good think to ever come out of that show!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:47 pm

The fight with Don Frye and “Sonny,” who was Leland Chapman’s bodyguard, started when promoter Chris Salsbury told Scott Steiner that MMA promoter Phil Flathres would be in charge of paying the wrestlers. The wrestlers came to Flathers for their money. Somehow the MMA people and wrestling people were played against each other and tension developed. “Sonny” started making remarks about pro wrestling, which saw an MMA fighter/pro wrestler, Frye, telling him to shut up. Frye had been drinking and was loaded. It wound up with them going outside.

“Sonny” allegedly sucker punched Frye, bloodying him up. Frye then allegedly single legged Sonny and was punching him hard from the mount when it was pulled apart. The second confrontation in the parking lot saw Sonny knock down Frye and Sonny and Leland Chapman ran off as Scott Norton came and Frye got up. It should be noted that we’ve gotten many different versions and all are slightly different but this seems to be the best detailed version.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:08 am