THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
Moose Stuff For Money...
hendos_right_hook
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
pinsman
redmeanie77
12 posters

Poll: UFC-WEC merging in 2010?

Poll

Do you want UFC to merge with WEC

[ 9 ]
    Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? I_vote_lcap60%Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? I_vote_lcap33%Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? I_vote_lcap7%Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? I_vote_rcap [7%] 

Total Votes: 15
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? Empty Poll: UFC-WEC merging in 2010?

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Biggest MMA event of the planet, UFC has plans even bigger to 2010. Sources close to WEC informed TATAME.com that the UFC will add new weights categories on the next year, bringing athletes with contract with WEC, that was bought by Zuffa – same organization that commands the UFC – in 2006.

This year, UFC scheduled 20 events – WEC made only eight –, but the bigger amount of athletes would force the organization to make a bigger number of annual shows. According to sources close to the event, Zuffa called all the fighters with contract with WEC in Las Vegas earlier this month, telling about the merger and revealing that they plan three events for month in the future.

With the change, the Brazilians José Aldo, Raphael Assunção, Wagnney Fabiano, Rafael Dias, Marco Galvão, Douglas Lima, Diego Nunes, Frédson Paixão and Rani Yahya would became UFC athletes, joining the team of 22 Brazilian fighters with contract with Ultimate.

On the next Wednesday, WEC 44 will define the featherweight champion on the fight between Mike Brown and José Aldo, what could, joining the events, define who would become the first UFC featherweight champion. Besides that, WEC has two more shows scheduled until January 2010.

http://tatame.com/2009/11/15/Report--UFC-WEC-merger-in-2010
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Poll:  UFC-WEC merging in 2010? Empty Re: Poll: UFC-WEC merging in 2010?

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:18 pm

I really hope this happens, there has been talk of this happening before so i really they take the extra step and get it done. WEC produce some pretty entertaing fights and i would love too see some of the stars showcase their talents in the UFC. I think there should be more than 5 weight divisions in UFC.

Ive added a poll so what do you think of this possible move?
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Adding weights would make it easier for certain fighters to shine, some guys are just in no man's land, having to ether be the smaller guy in a weight cat or having to cut loads of weight to make a weight cat making them vulnerable to fatigue. Can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Just thinking of fighters who would benefit:

Rich Franklin
    Wanderli Silva
    Vitor Belfort

HAHA Mike Bisping!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:21 pm

pinsman wrote:Adding weights would make it easier for certain fighters to shine, some guys are just in no man's land, having to ether be the smaller guy in a weight cat or having to cut loads of weight to make a weight cat making them vulnerable to fatigue. Can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Just thinking of fighters who would benefit:

Rich Franklin
    Wanderli Silva
    Vitor Belfort

HAHA Mike Bisping!

i think by new weight classes it means featherweight, bantam and flyweight.

i think this would be a good idea, i think they should open WEC to all weight classes and use it as a b-league, for the stars of tomorrow!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Apparently the boss of WEC has shot this down as a rumour, Im 100% with you chesty UFC as the A league WEC as the B League makes far more sence, it would make UFC events better.

The one thing that would be shit is if UFC just took the top WEC tallent and shut the WEC down making less MMA events.

I dont think it will happen though, the Boss of WEC said it was just internet rumours.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Yeh i just read Reed Hariss comment about imminent merger of two companies. Im still hopeful that we will see the top bantamweight, flyweight fighters in the world in UFC.

I think it would be a good move for WEC, more people would watch and get into the smaller weight divisions, if they got to see some of incredible fights those guys put on in UFC.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 pm

I like it the way it is. Keep the LW's and upwards in the UFC, the FW and below in WEC, add a womens division to the WEC and don't merge them.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Fighters like MTB,Aldo,Faber,Torres and Bowles are not getting the attention they deserve fighting in the WEC.They should all be showcasing there talants on the UFC big stage.

If the WEC became a league 2 for the UFC,that would become a great breeding ground for new talent and UFC fighters like your Ed Hermans,Pete sells and other fighters of that calibre would make the perfect fighters to test themselves.

Also hopefully it would mean more work for some of these fighters that would be forced into fighting for peanuts at little shows normally if the UFC released them.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 pm

WEC would cease to exist if that happened. Nobody is going to pay decent money to watch second rate fighters. And the WEC fanbase are fans of the WEC because it's the smaller fighters all the time. They won't be impressed if they merge them and they have to watch Miguel Torres be 3rd on a card to Lesnar-Carwin and Mir-Kongo for example.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:24 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Fighters like MTB,Aldo,Faber,Torres and Bowles are not getting the attention they deserve fighting in the WEC.They should all be showcasing there talants on the UFC big stage.

If the WEC became a league 2 for the UFC,that would become a great breeding ground for new talent and UFC fighters like your Ed Hermans,Pete sells and other fighters of that calibre would make the perfect fighters to test themselves.

Also hopefully it would mean more work for some of these fighters that would be forced into fighting for peanuts at little shows normally if the UFC released them.

Agreed.

I find it massively unfair that fights below lightweight aren't given the same opportunities as higher weight classes. The fact that the likes of Torres are as goods as unknown to anyone without decent knowledge.

As for you idea of a 'league 2', I like it, it gives WEC some purpose as opposed to what is currently a completely flawed system
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm for the merger. As I have to hunt for the fights online I tend to only watch the top fights on WEC cards just now, which means I'm missing out on seeing loads of good fights and fighters. The top WEC fighters will gain more publicity from a merger and with that more money.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:WEC would cease to exist if that happened. Nobody is going to pay decent money to watch second rate fighters. And the WEC fanbase are fans of the WEC because it's the smaller fighters all the time. They won't be impressed if they merge them and they have to watch Miguel Torres be 3rd on a card to Lesnar-Carwin and Mir-Kongo for example.

People in the States don't pay to watch WEC anyway,it's always aired on VS,so we wouldn't be paying anymore to watch second rate fighters(give me any named fighters fighting live on TV and I'm watching it).The problem at the moment for the WEC is that their TV rights are own by Comcast,who just recently have had a fall out with Direct TV(the biggest satalite company in America)over a 20% rise Comcast wanted for letting them Air VS.Direct TV stood there ground,said bollocks to you and do no longer air VS.VS can only be viewed through Dish Network and some cable providers now,so over 50% of homes with satalite in America can no longer watch the WEC which could mean it's now a case of having to merge completely just to survive.

Merging with the UFC could maybe get around the Comcast problem and they could probably move the show from VS to Spike TV which does at least quadruple the viewing numbers that VS does and is available from every satalite provider.It shows the differance in viewing figures when Spike can show old UFC fights every week and still draw bigger figures compared to when the WEC have a live event.
    Also when Pulver was at every UFC event after he lost to Penn telling fans he was moving to the WEC,the WEC started getting the highest numbers they ever had,most WEC fans are also UFC fans,don't forget Faber,Torres and that were already in the WEC getting hardly any notice at all at the start.
    These fighters and fights are to good to not deserve the biggest audience possible and thats exsactly what the UFC brings.

I'm sure if you asked MTB,Faber and the rest what they would prefer,headlining a WEC event on VS or featuring on a UFC PPV card the would choose the UFC.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:00 am

I'm talking about ticket sales, not PPV. People pay good money to go to WEC events because the fights are so exciting. And they have a TV deal because the fights are so exciting. Nobody will pay to go and watch a B-League and no TV network will air a B-League. That's why the IFL went out of business.

And i can guarantee that MTB and Torres would both prefer to stay headling WEC shows than being midcarders on UFC cards.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 am

Thats not at all why the IFL went out of business.

They were doing ok on Fox sports to start with but when they signed with MyNetworkTV,a network that goes out to every home in America is when it started going tits up for them.

They were stupid enough to advertise it as a blood sport and there opening line was "Stay tuned because somebodies gonna be leaving on a stretcher" Those kind of things don't usually go down very well on a channel that shows programes like Smallville or Americas Top model in that time slot normally,it was inevitable that they had to be dropped even though I think the numbers were good for MyNetwork.
    It was a strange chioce of channels in the first place,I mean I can see why the IFL would want to be on a channel that went out to everybody but what Idiots at MyNetwork thought that the audience that watch there programming would love MMA Shocked

This is why Strikeforce will do well with CBS,a channel that shows Football games and dramas more like CSI or criminal minds.
    IFL also signed a deal with HDNet but only about 8 million homes in the USA subscribed.
    So altogether 3 differant Networks thought it was a good idea to pick up the IFL.

The constant changes to the format,the MYNetwork fiasco and the UFC's long running battle to cripple them,which they ended up being able to do is what killed the IFL.
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:21 pm

Yes, they should have done it ages ago. A FW or BW title fight would have saved some of these UFC cards that are falling apart with champions getting injured or sick.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 pm

The WEC fighters pay from the last event...

Jose Aldo: $36,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus, $10,000 Knockout of the Night bonus)
    Mike Brown: $15,000

Manny Gamburyan: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus)
    Leonard Garcia: $14,000

Karen Darabedyan: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
    Rob McCullough: $20,000

Shane Roller: $34,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus, $10,000 Submission of the Night bonus)
    Danny Castillo: $9,500

Kamal Shalorus: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
    Will Kerr: $2,000

L.C. Davis: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)
    Diego Nunes: $5,000

Cub Swanson: $28,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus, $10,000 Fight of the Night bonus)
    John Franchi: $14,000 (includes $10,000 Fight of the Night bonus)

Antonio Banuelos: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
    Kenji Osawa: $6,000

Ricardo Lamas: $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
    James Krause: $2,000

Frank Gomez: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
    Seth Dikun: $3,000

After his victory over Brown a number of people would consider Jose Aldo a top ten pound for pound fighter, fighting in the UFC would see him paid more what he is worth.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Zuffa has signed new TV deals with Versus for UFC and WEC rights. I guess any plans of merging the two have been put on hold.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/12/14/ufc-to-twice-air-live-on-versus-in-2010/
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Not sure if it shoud happen, The WEC is doing good right now. They have some really talented fighters and they should keep there LW division as well as a B-League. Guys like Mac Danzig, Neer, Aron Riley and Matt Wiman can go to the WEC because there not quite at the level of UFC standard.

The FW division needs strengthining before you can put in the UFC otherwise its just rematch ater rematch. I thought Kid was meant to go to the WEC, what the hell happened with that? Did they through that away after Kid lost to Warren? The FW division is good for smaller fighters like Manny Gambaryan, a really good fighter but to small for LW. He beat good fighters like Lauzon, Wiman and was beating Nate Diaz before disclocating his shoulder. He isn't beating Aldo but at least he can be a main eventer. Others like Nelson can move to FW as well because he is waaaaaay to small for LW. Just ragdolled in his last two fights. These two are never going to be champions but at least they can strengthen the division.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Its finally happened cheers

The Ultimate Fighting Championship plans to merge with World Extreme Cagefighting in January 2011.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the news earlier today with MMAFighting.com, and a formal announcement is scheduled this afternoon.

The merger's primary intent is to fold the WEC's bantamweight, featherweight and lightweight divisions into the UFC.

"The timing was right," White said. "The reality is we purchased the WEC, (and) we started getting these lighter-weight guys exposure on television. ... Now, as the UFC continues to grow globally, and we're doing more and more fights, now we're bringing in those lighter weightclasses."

WEC 52 and WEC 53, scheduled for Nov. 11 and Dec. 16, respectively, will be the final events under the existing promotion. In January, the lighter-weighted promotion will cede its talent to the UFC.

White said the WEC's featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, will become the UFC featherweight champion when he first fights inside the octagon in January. Current WEC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz defends his title against top contender Scott Jorgensen at WEC 53.

The WEC's lightweight championship will also be on the line at WEC 53 as current champ Ben Henderson takes on Anthony Pettis. It's currently unclear what will become of the WEC's lightweight title, but UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta hinted of a champion vs. champion superfight at the UFC Fan Expo London 2010.

"We'd love to see kind of a 'champion vs. champion' type bout with Ben and Frankie Edgar or something like that," Fertitta said. "Ben Henderson is a great fighter, and I think he could do really, really well against some of the top guys in the UFC at 155 (pounds)."

Zuffa, LLC, the UFC's parent company, purchased the WEC in 2006. The lighter-weighted promotion quickly found a new television partner, Versus channel, which aired all but a few of its events. WEC 48 also went to pay-per-view and was considered a rousing success.

According to White, four UFC events in 2011 will air on Versus, the current home of the WEC. Additionally, the UFC's longtime partnership with Spike TV will also remain in place

And new UFC Featherweight Champ Jose Aldo is defending his title at UFC 125. Cool
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Keep up Meanie i posted this a while ago in the "Major UFC Announcement" thread drunken
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:50 pm

And i posted this thread in Nov 2009 lol!

Sorry mate, i didnt check that thread....
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Brown Pride wrote:And i posted this thread in Nov 2009 lol!

Sorry mate, i didnt check that thread....

Laughing I see, so its me whos late, almost a year late Sad

Its great news anyway, Aldo in the UFC cheers
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Its great news for WEC fighters aswell, well maybe not the lower tier fighters there who will probably be released as the staff becomes too big. But for the likes of Aldo,Bendo, Faber, Torres, Cruz, Cerrone...etc this is great news for them.

Also for the UFC guys, the small guys at LW for instance Edgar and Charles Oliviera etc this gives them further options to drop down.

The only downside is that some guys are going to lose there jobs in this merger, but for us fans its great news.

Also finally we can watch WEC fights on ESPN HD and not some dodgy low quality videos on mma websites. cheers
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:16 pm

i voted no as i think they enjoy seperate income from the wec.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 am

Bad move for the fighters. not happy about this. Another MMA organization gets to die so Dana can line his pockets.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:39 pm