THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
p4pnumber_1
kavik2
rudeboyben84
11 posters

Shields moving back to 185lbs

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Shields moving back to 185lbs Empty Shields moving back to 185lbs

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Just read that Shields next fight would be back at Mw, He should be fighting again in August.

Anyone have an Idea who he would be matched up with? Shame him and Maia swapped devisions id have been interested to see how that one panned out.

Coming off a loss that moved him out of the top 5 at Ww Id say they wont chuck him into a number 1 contenders fight... my thinking is that Stann vs Sakara winner would be the Ideal fight to build him back up....

Maby the Palhares vs Belcher winner will be ready to go 3 months after this fight too?

Perhaps start him lower again and put him again Leben who is still a name in the devision?

What you all think? Can he get to a title shot at 185 or become a contender again?
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Shields moving back to 185lbs Empty Re: Shields moving back to 185lbs

Post  kavik2 Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:06 pm

I would like to see him in against Palhares (cant see any way that Belcher wins that one)or what about fighting Okami again?
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

kavik2 wrote:I would like to see him in against Palhares (cant see any way that Belcher wins that one)or what about fighting Okami again?

I too would love to see him against Palhares. It would a chance to see how Palhares would deal with Shields' BJJ. I know he's submitted black belts before, but I don't think any or on the level of Shields.

The benefit of moving up is the no weight cut which will really help his cardio, but will he be undersized?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 pm

No I dont see Shields as undersized at Mw at all, the guy is Hendo sized and he is a Lhw now. Shields hasnt look weak at 185 ever as far as I remeber, I dont see him getting thrown about by bigger guys... I dont see maby 85ers he cant drag down and outgrapple.

But I do see him getting Murdered in the standup. Akiyama is the worst standup fighter ever to fight in MMA, he is the only person in the world who could fight 15mins mostly standing against Shields and loose.

I reckon the likes of Palhares would land a Wheelkick or the likes and turn his lights out. The Rare Guys he isnt head and shoulders above in the grappling department like Palhares who can throw leather will beat him I reckon on the feet.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Maybe Mayhem will get his rematch with Sheilds if he beats Dolloway.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm glad he has gone back up to 185 good move for Shields he has looked like shit since moving back down to 170.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:56 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    kavik2 wrote:I would like to see him in against Palhares (cant see any way that Belcher wins that one)or what about fighting Okami again?

I too would love to see him against Palhares. It would a chance to see how Palhares would deal with Shields' BJJ. I know he's submitted black belts before, but I don't think any or on the level of Shields.

If you're talking straight grappling then Linhares is a level above Shields.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm glad he's moved up, he's better at 185 and IMO has a decent shot at winning the belt. Wouldn't back him to do it but I could definitely see him giving Sonnen and Silva a run for their money. Shields vs Palhares would be a boring fight IMO.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Really? I really cannot see how Jake wins (let alone stays conscious) against Silva.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:35 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'm glad he's moved up, he's better at 185 and IMO has a decent shot at winning the belt. Wouldn't back him to do it but I could definitely see him giving Sonnen and Silva a run for their money. Shields vs Palhares would be a boring fight IMO.

Really,fair enough,it's your opinion,but you've actually shocked me here Chelsea,apart from the first 9 words of your statement,I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone else that would agree with the rest of it.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:21 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'm glad he's moved up, he's better at 185 and IMO has a decent shot at winning the belt. Wouldn't back him to do it but I could definitely see him giving Sonnen and Silva a run for their money. Shields vs Palhares would be a boring fight IMO.

Really,fair enough,it's your opinion,but you've actually shocked me here Chelsea,apart from the first 9 words of your statement,I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone else that would agree with the rest of it.

Well you won't have to look far. Laughing

I agree with Chelsea I think he has a better chance of winning a belt at 185 rather than 170 to me since he dropped back down he has been awful. Slow, sluggish and flat out dreadful cardio that hasn't really been something you associate with Jake You wouldn't think this was the guy who went a hard 25 minutes with Mayhem & Hendo a few years ago.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:

Well you won't have to look far. Laughing

I agree with Chelsea I think he has a better chance of winning a belt at 185 rather than 170 to me since he dropped back down he has been awful. Slow, sluggish and flat out dreadful cardio that hasn't really been something you associate with Jake You wouldn't think this was the guy who went a hard 25 minutes with Mayhem & Hendo a few years ago.

Well what you said is sort of different. I would agree he probably has a better shot at 185, but does that mean he even has a decent chance? I personally think not to be honest. Anyone with decent tdd and average stand up will beat him in my opinion. People like Leben, Stann i think would beat him. I would back the following to beat him...

Anderson, Chael, Weidman, Munoz, Bisping, Palhares, Boetsch, Leben, Stann, Belfort, Okami and possibly even Belcher. There could be more im not thinking of, but I would back everyone on that list to beat Shields.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Sheilds cardio will be better at 185,but his chances of winning the MW belt are some where between slim and none.

fair enough,Sheilds and miller had a good battle for 25 mins,but that's mayhem not Silva or sonnen,completely different level of fighters.
    IMO,the Hendo fight was Sheilds lightening in a bottle moment,a moment he'd never repeat.

Hendo had problems going into that fight and struggled to make the cut,he even said he was tired half way through the first round,a round which hendo was knocking Sheilds from piller to post.
    To jakes credit and to the surprise of everyone watching,he did survive that round,but the next 20 minutes of that fight can not be called hard pushed,as hendo was on fumes from the second round onwards.
    The stars aligned for sheilds that night,hendo came in over confident,he struggled with his cut and after battering Sheilds like a red headed step child for a round,some how Sheilds survived,hendo was out of gas,allowing sheilds to controll the last 20 mins and giving him his lightening in a bottle moment.

I'm quite confident,that if they both fought 9 more times,hendo comfortably wins all 9.

That's why i agree,sheilds will be better cardio wise at MW,just like Hendo is at LHW,but there is nothing for me that says or proves ,that after those two MW fights Sheilds had 2-3 years ago,all of a sudden would make Jake Sheilds a force at MW or even a challenge to the likes of Silva or sonnen.

Especially going on his current form and most recent performances where he has gone 2-2,which could easily have been 0-4 and certainly should of been 1-3 after kampmann got robbed.

and as for the palhares vs Sheilds fight being boring,show me a boring Palhares fight to date.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Shields is clearly ducking Maia Razz
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm

People like Leben, Stann i think would beat him. I would back the following to beat him...

Anderson, Chael, Weidman, Munoz, Bisping, Palhares, Boetsch, Leben, Stann, Belfort, Okami and possibly even Belcher. There could be more im not thinking of, but I would back everyone on that list to beat Shields.

He's already beaten Okami. He would beat Stann, Belcher, Leben and Bitchping with ease. Boetsch and Munoz might cause problems with their side but he's far better than both IMO. Weidman and Palhares would probably beat him. Belfort is a 50-50 fight IMO, striker vs grappler. Sheilds odds would grow significantly if he escapes the first round.

It's not that hard imagining him beat Sonnen, not with Sonnen's submission defense that is. It would also be one of the few times Sonnen would face someone who can handle his pace.

Silva is the toughest fight on the list ofcourse, but I reckon if he followed Sonnen's game plan he could win. Difference is his takedowns aren't as good but his overall grappling is far superior. Sheilds is a very good grappler in his own right.

Dominating Hendo for 20 minutes is not a lightening in a bottle momment. He deserves credit for the performance and win. Since then he beat Kampmann in a very close fight, I haven't heard anyone call it a robbery. He then lost a competitive fight to one of the best of all time and got KOed quickly by one of the most promising WWs to come out in the last few years when he was in no mental shape to fight. He's not an exciting fighter but he is a very good fighter in his own right IMO and to say the likes of Leben can beat him is far too harsh IMO.

Payne there's no way Shields lost the Sexyama fight. Palhares is an exciting fighter, not sure if I can show you a boring fight for him but I can give you a whole list of boring Shields fights. Style wise that fight has the recipe for disaster and would end up as a half assed kickboxing match.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:23 pm

There is no way in hell he would beat Bisping with ease. Bisping is by far the worst match up for him at MW. Worse than Silva imo. Would stuff his takedowns all day long and would destroy him on the feet.

I think Okami would be able to keep the fight standing and dominate there.

As for Stann, Leben and Belcher. Belcher may be pushing it, but I genuinely think Leben and Stann would be able to keep it standing and knock him out.

I'll not even go into the comments involving him vs Silva Very Happy

Also, I can't see how Palhares vs Shields could be boring. Granted any Shields fight always has the possibility, but with Palhares, there is no way Palhares can be lay and prayed on, and I think Palhares could knock Shields out standing.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Belfort would kill Shields
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Belfort would kill Shields

Agreed. Im shocked people are even disputing this.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Okami - Shields was considered a robbery by most, and Okami's a much better fighter now, no way Shields beats him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:There is no way in hell he would beat Bisping with ease. Bisping is by far the worst match up for him at MW. Worse than Silva imo. Would stuff his takedowns all day long and would destroy him on the feet.

I think Okami would be able to keep the fight standing and dominate there.

As for Stann, Leben and Belcher. Belcher may be pushing it, but I genuinely think Leben and Stann would be able to keep it standing and knock him out.

I'll not even go into the comments involving him vs Silva Very Happy

Also, I can't see how Palhares vs Shields could be boring. Granted any Shields fight always has the possibility, but with Palhares, there is no way Palhares can be lay and prayed on, and I think Palhares could knock Shields out standing.

Not even close... lol!

Bisping could cause problems but his powder puff punches are never going to finish Sheilds. I could easily see Sheilds taking Bisping down for 3 rounds, possibly even subbing him. Not sure how you reached the conclusion you did.

Okami would be a pretty tough fight, mostly because of his size, but I'm not sure how anyone could say Shields has no chance of beating him. I've not heard anyone say the first was a robbery. Controversial maybe but never a robbery.

Stann and Leben have been subbed by mighty submission artists such as Sonnen, Sozynski, Jason Macdonald and Jake Rosholt. In terms of BJJ none of the above even come close. Stann and Leben are warriors but technically they are far from the best. Shields subs both with ease IMO.

How is Palhares who has never KOed anyone in his life going to KO one of the most durable guys in MMA? We are talking about a guy who took on Hendo's biggest shots and head kick from GSP and survived. The fight would turn into an average kickboxing match.

Belfort hasn't beaten a top wrestler who wasn't years past his prime since a bit of tape cut open Randy Couture. In fact since 2006 where he lost to Hendo and pre roids Overeem he has one top 10 win, with the rest being cans, jounrey men, have beens or never were. I could see someone like Sheilds who would push the pace putting Belfort on his ass for three rounds. With that being said I could just as easily see Belfort Koing Sheilds in the first round but I don't believe Belfort has better take down defense than the likes of Hendo and Okami.

Shocked to see so many people write off Shields, below Stann and Leben? Really? A boring fighter at times yes no doubt, but just look at his record. 15 straight wins over 6 years including Hendo, Okami, Condit, Daley, Prime Sakurai, Mayhem, Lawler, Kampmann, Pyle not to mention giving GSP his toughest fight in about 4 years. His record certainly makes Belfort's record look pale in comparison. In fact his record's better than all the MW's mentioned except for Silva.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:33 am

im with chelsea...people have short memories it seems.

ill admit shields has looked really bad in the ufc even in victory, but he was a beast at 185
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Shocked that an argument is being made for Shields beating Belfort no chance! By the way, I don't see Shields as a "top wrestler"

As for Bisping. He has the best TDD at middleweight imo and his "powder puff punches" would destroy Shields standing. If Sonnen can't take Bisping down and hold him there, I would put my house on Shields not being able to do it.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree until some of these fights are made Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:18 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    People like Leben, Stann i think would beat him. I would back the following to beat him...

He's already beaten Okami. He would beat Stann, Belcher, Leben and Bitchping with ease. Boetsch and Munoz might cause problems with their side but he's far better than both IMO. Weidman and Palhares would probably beat him. Belfort is a 50-50 fight IMO, striker vs grappler. Sheilds odds would grow significantly if he escapes the first round.

It's not that hard imagining him beat Sonnen, not with Sonnen's submission defense that is. It would also be one of the few times Sonnen would face someone who can handle his pace.

Silva is the toughest fight on the list ofcourse, but I reckon if he followed Sonnen's game plan he could win. Difference is his takedowns aren't as good but his overall grappling is far superior. Sheilds is a very good grappler in his own right.

Dominating Hendo for 20 minutes is not a lightening in a bottle momment. He deserves credit for the performance and win. Since then he beat Kampmann in a very close fight, I haven't heard anyone call it a robbery. He then lost a competitive fight to one of the best of all time and got KOed quickly by one of the most promising WWs to come out in the last few years when he was in no mental shape to fight. He's not an exciting fighter but he is a very good fighter in his own right IMO and to say the likes of Leben can beat him is far too harsh IMO.

Payne there's no way Shields lost the Sexyama fight. Palhares is an exciting fighter, not sure if I can show you a boring fight for him but I can give you a whole list of boring Shields fights. Style wise that fight has the recipe for disaster and would end up as a half assed kickboxing match.

I dont know where the half assed Kickboxing fights for, Ive seen Palhares wing in some crazy wheel kicks (think against Hendo) The guy is a single minded figther having more or less a finishing move his plan is always to get the heel hook but pushed to stand he would land something nice on Shilds id bet.

I wouldnt back Shields over Bisping. Look at the Sonnen fight, Bispings a good anti grappler, Id say thats a 50/50 in my head given Shields isnt as Physical as Sonnen or doesnt have as good a takedown rate.

Shields will beat a lot of Mw's but I dont think he matches up well with Bisping or Palhares.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 pm

As much as it pains me, Bisping would easily beat Shields. Jab and jog all day.

Belfort would knock him out.

Sonnen would maul him.

Anderson might kill him.

Hendo would knock him out if he came in without injuries.

Palhares would take his leg home as a souvenir (half ass kickboxing match? Palhares would destroy Shields on the floor).

Munoz would beat him.

Okami was robbed first time around, only Chelsea seems not to know that. Okami would beat him in a rematch.

Stann and Leben COULD knock him out, but I think he'd sub both.

And he's beat Belcher.

Shields has far less chance at 185.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:08 am