THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on?

Poll

Who you backing?

[ 0 ]
    Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_lcap0%Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_lcap25%Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_lcap0%Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 6 ]
    Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_lcap75%Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? I_vote_rcap [75%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 8
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? Empty Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on?

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:48 pm

I cant wait to see this one, Me and Anfield were talking about it on another thread and He is backing Cung, Im backing Wand. Id love to see who the favorite on here is so place you votes!

Although they arent ranked its a bit of historic fight. Cung was talked about as the man to beat Anderson, Scott Smith put him to sleep and although he avenged it convincingly he hasnt ever got that hype back. Coming to UFC and beating Wanderlei will put him on track to finishing his career on a high and maby chasing a UFC title. My thoughts are if he wins UFC should put him in with someone else who will bang with him like Stann, Belfort or Leben (Even if Munoz beats him)

For Wanderlei he will undoubtedly get the talk from Dana and even though he wasnts to fight into his 40's if his record drops to 2-5 in the UFC I dont see him staying with them. As much as the fans love him and there are fighters that have gone on a 3 fight skid I think another KO retires him. For Wanderlei if he wins this I think a rematch with Rich Franklin at 185 would be great, I dont think he will want Stann and its a shame Maia trains with him, If UFC matched them up it would be interesting though. I wonder who Wand would pick himself? A Belfort rematch? Maby Bisping will want to wide the slate clean now he is higher ranked?

My Call is Wanderlei to win via KO. Wand fought at Hw before, Cung Le is a small Mw and giving up about half a foot in Reach, I think if Wand storms forward Cungs Kicks wont be effective. I see him pressing Cung Le and maby even mixing in some groundwork (Munoz, Maia and Werdum are all training partners)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? Empty Re: Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on?

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:58 am

If Wand storms forward I see him getting picked apart and Cung winning comfortably to be honest. Wandi is done. Cung isn't great now, too old as well, but he's a far better striker than Wandi ever was, although not as powerful and he's a lot quicker than Wandi. Plus those kicks are lethal.

Cung got KO'd by Smith because his cardio failed him. That fight should have been stopped much earlier when he was pummelling Smith.

I honestly can't think of anything worse than Wandi vs Belfort. Wouldn't last 30 seconds. Same goes with Stann. Anyone with power and a good chin will beat Wandi.

Oh, and Wandi is already 2-5 in the UFC this time around. 3-7 overall.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on? Empty Re: Wanderlei vs Cung, Whos your money on?

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:17 am

Yeah if Wandi is bookies favourite or opponent has decent odds then its worth betting against him in UFC.

I think this fight could be a war though, and might make up for the Wandi-Leben fight which was such a letdown due to how quick it ended.

Even if Le wins, Wandi will still be in this fight even if he's getting kicked apart, his chin maybe gone but his heart is still there and he wont quit unless he's ko'd, and i dont think Le will Ko him.

I dunno who im going to predict but i think it will be great fight. Either guy gets destroyed by likes of Stann, Belfort, Leben. Actually if Le win then him and Leben would make a great fight!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:17 am

I think Cung could beat Leben just with his kicks.

I don't think Wandi will quit or the Cung will knock him out cold, but a spinning heel kick to the floating rib followed by some punches will have the ref step in. Doesn't matter how tough you are, one of those kicks thrown by a master connects properly and your fight is finished whether you want it to be or not. Your body will just shut down.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:07 pm

I think I'm with Anfield here.

As much as I have loved watching Wandy in the past, his chin just doesn't seem to be there anymore. I see him coming forward and Le just picking him apart. Just a pity IMO that Cung didn't devote more time to the sport (in the past obviously), think he could have had a really good career.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:29 pm

You guys think Cung can get anything done in the UFC if he wins? A lot of people were backing him over Belfort too....

Anfield just checked Wand is 2-4

Leben, Liddell, Rampage, Franklin are his 4 last losses... who did you think was the 5th?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Also Wand is 15-0 against asians Laughing
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Think Cung is gonna put a solid beating on Wand before stopping him late on think this will resemble the Scott Smith fight (second one) as much as I love Wand can not see him winning this one.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:You guys think Cung can get anything done in the UFC if he wins? A lot of people were backing him over Belfort too....

Anfield just checked Wand is 2-4

Leben, Liddell, Rampage, Franklin are his 4 last losses... who did you think was the 5th?

Sorry mate, you're right. It is 2-4. I was thinking about when Hendo KO'd him and for some reason I had it in my head that it was in the UFC, probably cos it was in the states and then Hendo went on to fight Rampage next.

Still though, his UFC record is awful.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:00 pm

I think Wandi needs to pressure Cung and stay on the inside to win this fight.
    He doesn't want to give Cung distance to land his kicks like Shamrock did,he needs to be in his face all fight,keep his chin tucked and straighten a few of his wild winging punches.
    I think Cung at his age and with his lack of actual cage experience,will slow rapidly if he fights him like that,then I can see Wandi breaking him down and getting the 2nd or 3rd stoppage..

Wandi's obviously on the downside of his career,and his chin has to now be called into question,but to be fair,Cung has looked impressive in the rare performances he's showed us,but it's hard to judge just how good he is or was,because he's never really fought anyone of note,and at nearly 40 and this being only his 5th fight in the last 4 years,I can see him struggling to impress or last the distance if he is pressured and pushed onto the back foot from the off.

I wandi gives him to much space though,I see Cung hurting Wandi with his kicks and probably pouncing for the finish once he folds him with a body shot.

I just hope it's going to be a good fight either way,I like both fighters,so I really don't want to see either fighter sprawled out unconscious in the first minute of the fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:16 pm