THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
payneNglory1
pinsman
Cowboys From Hell
redmeanie77
superman_punch
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
rudeboyben84
14 posters

Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012 Empty Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Carwin said he wants to come back by the end of the year or by the start of next year and talked about fighting more agressivley again and the possibility of fighting Strikeforce Heavyweights.

He said he though Barnett was top heavy over there and he would like to fight him or Cormier but they are matched up against each other next.

Who do you all think he will be matched up against next since most of the other top Heavies are already matched up?

Wasnt it reported that Werdum would have his next fight in the UFC? I reckon Werdum vs Carwin would be a cracker, if not Werdum Bigfoot would work. I dont know if Strikeforce will have either of these guys fight under their banner again but one possibility is that they fight each other again.

As far as UFC figthers go who arent matched up we have...

Travis Browne or Mike Russow, I think off hand these are the top ranked UFC heavies who dont currently have a fight.

By preference of these 4 would be Bigfoot. Any other Ideas of who he fights next? He could always wait for someone like the Kongo/Meathead winner of the Nelson/Crocop winner I suppose?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012 Empty Re: Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Carwin said he wants to come back by the end of the year or by the start of next year and talked about fighting more agressivley again and the possibility of fighting Strikeforce Heavyweights.

He said he though Barnett was top heavy over there and he would like to fight him or Cormier but they are matched up against each other next.

Who do you all think he will be matched up against next since most of the other top Heavies are already matched up?

Wasnt it reported that Werdum would have his next fight in the UFC? I reckon Werdum vs Carwin would be a cracker, if not Werdum Bigfoot would work. I dont know if Strikeforce will have either of these guys fight under their banner again but one possibility is that they fight each other again.

As far as UFC figthers go who arent matched up we have...

Travis Browne or Mike Russow, I think off hand these are the top ranked UFC heavies who dont currently have a fight.

By preference of these 4 would be Bigfoot. Any other Ideas of who he fights next? He could always wait for someone like the Kongo/Meathead winner of the Nelson/Crocop winner I suppose?

Personally think he'd smash Barnett and Werdum, they wouldn't be able to get him down I don't think. Reckon Carwin- Barnett goes similar to Carwin- Mir, and Carwin- Werdum goes similar to Carwin- Gonzaga.

Big Foot would probably be able to get him down due to his size advantage but he's too hittable with that balloon head so I'd back a Carwin KO in that too.

Anyone with good speed and cardio and standup will beat him though IMO, that's his worst stylistic matchup. Opponents like Brock can't simply rely on him gassing nowadays, Carwin with stamina is a different beast.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012 Empty Re: Carwin back late 2011 or early 2012

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah I reckon Bogfoots big head is an enviting target for Carwins bombs... That and I honestly reckon in a clintch its Bigfoot that ends up pushed against the cage. I could see Carwin blowing him away in a round.

Werdum, im 50/50 on, if it hits the gorund at all Carwin gets tapped, no doubt about it. He could have Wredum mounted and his corner would shout at him to stand up! Laughing Werdum would either sub him, or try and use the "Get hit flop to the ground" tactic he tried with Overeem to avoid the KO.

Barnett Schools him, no two ways about it. Barnetts TD's are always under rated, We havnt seen enough of Carwin to say his Wrestling is good enough to keep Barnett off him, but Barnett outweight him, if he grabs a leg and runds forward Carwin goes down and Barnett keeps him there, pounds him out or more likely tapps him. I think Barnett would be a terrible fight because he is tougher than Lesnar with a better Sub game, Gassed out not Carwin looses.... Barnett is the man, I really want him to get past Cormier and make a UFC title run.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 am

Barnett would absolute own Shane Carwin. Carwin is nothing more than an average fighter with big power. Barnett's a top five ALL TIME HW. That wouldn't even be a close fight. Goodnight Mr. Carwin, don't resist when you feel the squeeze.

Carwin vs Big Foot would be interesting.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 am

Carwin v Sergei???? I think it could be a war.

Throw Carwin into the Strikeforce HW grand prix and I only see him beating Arlovski and Brett Rogers. That's of the original line up obviously I'd back him to beat Griggs.

And I think Barnett would go threw Carwin like Brock Lesnar goes through Sable.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:30 am

Sergei has been cut from Zuffa, he is going to fight at next goldenglory event (not sure if he is fighting Kickboxing or MMA)

I dont think were going to see any Goldenglory guys back in Zuffa, Overeem had toditch GG to join the UFC.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Carwin Knocks out Werdum in round 1 or wins lacklusture decision with Werdum butscooting for 15 mins. Bad matchup for Werdum.

I dont know how Barnett-Carwin will go we havent seen much of Barnett standup or against wrestler. Infact we havent seen Barnett against top 10 fighter since Crocop knocked him out and Nog beat him in 2006. Im picking Cormier to beat him as Barnett cant take him down and Cormier will just mix it up with strikes and takedowns. Barnetts cardio will become an issue aswell as Cormier wears him down. Bad matchup for Barnett.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:29 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Carwin Knocks out Werdum in round 1 or wins lacklusture decision with Werdum butscooting for 15 mins. Bad matchup for Werdum.

I dont know how Barnett-Carwin will go we havent seen much of Barnett standup or against wrestler. Infact we havent seen Barnett against top 10 fighter since Crocop knocked him out and Nog beat him in 2006. Im picking Cormier to beat him as Barnett cant take him down and Cormier will just mix it up with strikes and takedowns. Barnetts cardio will become an issue aswell as Cormier wears him down. Bad matchup for Barnett.

Thats crazy, Barnett is a much bigger guy than Cormier, I know he isnt going to outwrestle him but the Idea he CANT take him down doesnt seem right to me. Its MMA, there are sweeps, judo throws as well as mixing up strikes to score TD's... maby he wont run through him with a double leg but I dont think its unlikely that Barnett take him down.

Even if its a standup fight Cormier is SHIT on the feet, dont take 1 fight against Bigfoot that he can strike, watch the Monson fight... Monson has the very worst stadnup in the devision, there are men with 1 arm who could outbox Monson and Cormier didnt make it look easy.

Barnett is an underrated striker, theres footage of him battering Rampage in sparring and he KO'd Rizzo. Barnett has the advantage on the feet no doubt about it.

Cormier is the better wrestler without a doubt but he is considerabally smaller and hasnt the Sub Skills of Barnett. If Cormiers plan is to pound out or KO Barnett good luck Barnett can take a hell of a shot, he has 2 KO losses in his career, Prime Crocop and Prime Rizzo... Cormier doesnt dish out nearly the damage they do.

My prediciton is Barnett by Sub. He is the equivilant of a BJJ BB sub wise, couple that with superior size and striking and its a bad matchup for Cormier IMO...

I feel an avatar bet coming red Laughing Twisted Evil
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:14 pm

I'll Frank (not Shamrock) If any fighter can survive the 1st 2 minutes with Carwin It is their fight to lose. I would back Barnett, Werdum & Sergei to beat Carwin.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:I'll Frank (not Shamrock) If any fighter can survive the 1st 2 minutes with Carwin It is their fight to lose. I would back Barnett, Werdum & Sergei to beat Carwin.

What about Bigfoot, reckon he can keep that gigantic chin covered up? Its a fight id love to see, bring Bigfoot to the UFC I say.

Who you backing between Barnett and Cormier?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I'd back Carwin all day Never been overly impressed with Silva I think what Barnett said about him before the Semis was bang about his size being the main reason for his success.

Gotta back Cormier he is the one who is going to dictate where the fight will go can't see Barnett taking him down.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Forget Avatar bet, if Barnett takes Cormier down in any way shape or form other than strike, i'll leave this forum. Twisted Evil
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:53 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Forget Avatar bet, if Barnett takes Cormier down in any way shape or form other than strike, i'll leave this forum. Twisted Evil

Is Cormier that good a wrestler? Better than say Cain? or Brock? Amature career wise...
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Thats a big bet red!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Cormier was Olympic captain for American team in last olympic games. He is Cain Velasquez wrestling coach aswell at AKA !!!

Up next for Cormier is former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett, who submitted fellow Pride Fighting Championships vet Sergei Kharitonov in the evening’s main event. Following his victory, the fighter now known as “Warmaster” asserted that he will take Cormier down when the two meet in the to-be-scheduled grand prix finals. Predictably, Cormier doesn’t see it going down that way.

“Not happening,” Cormier said with a smile. “It’s going to be a good fight. Josh presents a lot of different challenges. Honestly, since I was introduced to this tournament, I’ve been training for Josh Barnett. I figured he would get past Sergei, and I need to improve my skills to where I’m able to compete with him. This guy is a great heavyweight. I’m going to have to be on my game. There’s going to be a lot of standing unless I decide to take him down.”
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Cormier was mainly elected captain because he wasn't going to be able to compete and because Cael Sanderson - the greatest amateur wrestler of all time - chose not to compete in 2008. He did finish 4th in the 2004 Olympics though, and that was a strong Olympic competition.

He is an incredible wrestler. Top 10 in all of MMA.

However, Barnett can definitely take him down using his clinch and trips. I saw a lot of Cormier in his amateur wrestling days and I watched him compete in Real Pro Wrestling which was basically an amateur wrestling team based competition where the wrestlers were paid. Cormier has always struggled with taller grapplers who can clinch him and get their legs behind his and to the mat and trip him. Barnett is an extremely high level grappler who's a master of clinching and tripping.

Barnett will easily outstrike Cormier though so it's really irrelevant whether he takes him down or not. He doesn't need a takedown, he can just box the ears off Cormier and take a decision. Cormier does need the takedown because he's not winning this fight standing.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:51 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Sergei has been cut from Zuffa, he is going to fight at next goldenglory event (not sure if he is fighting Kickboxing or MMA)

I dont think were going to see any Goldenglory guys back in Zuffa, Overeem had toditch GG to join the UFC.

Isn't Jon Olav Einemo back in UFC,plus they have also recently signed Siyar Bahadurzada.

or have they also done a Reem and left GG?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Carwins having surgery and won't be back until atleast mid 2012

As a man of faith I know that you are never given more burden then you can carry. I feel that the last couple years have tested me in more ways then I have ever imagined. The challenges the being close to greatness and yet so far away has been nothing less then motivating.

I have spent my entire fighting career dealing with injuries from my football career. I have done my best to get through my training and I have been blessed to get through my fights with relatively little to no damage.

As I ramped up my training for UFC 141 my body locked up during training. It wasn’t like the Lesnar fight but my back just tightened up and I froze. I scheduled an MRI and the results showed that my disc in my lower back is into the nerves . My doctor gave me two options; retire and I could probably go on for a few years without surgery or I could undergo surgery and continue my career.

The decision was easy. I have unfinished business. The UFC had me lined up to face one of the best in the world and I am confident I have everything I need to be a Champion. I am scheduling surgery and I hope to return to the Octagon by spring or summer 2012.

I will be in Las Vegas for Halloween weekend for a UFC 137 viewing party. I look forward to a fast and speedy recovery.

Thanks to my sponsors and fans for all of your continued support.

-Carwin

http://www.shane-carwin.com/profiles/blogs/injury
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:17 pm

they had lined up a world class opponent for him for UFC 141? Werdum or Big Foot it must have been.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Yeah more than likely it was Werdum. Do u see him in the UFC soon? If so who will he fight?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 am

I reckon it was Werdum too, there was talk he was coming over to UFC next. If Carwin isnt ready to go Werdum should figt Browne or Russow, I reckon they are dangerous guys and a good return fight to the UFC.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 am

Seems Carwin will be out longer than that, aparently Surgery will keep him out till at least next Summer. Can see him sliding down the rankings somewhat by then.

Who knows what the Hw landscape will look like by then but one thing is for sure, by the time he is back the SF heavyweights will definatley be in the mix.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Werdum wants Schaub

Fabricio Werdum is negotiating with the UFC, and he already has a target for his return to the octagon.

“Brendan Schaub, I’m ready for you. Anytime, anywhere”, Werdum tweeted on Monday. Schaub, Who defaated Mirko Cro Cop and Gabriel Gonzaga before suffering his first los since TUF Finale, by the hands of Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira, at UFC Rio. “Great fight for the UFC fans”, Fabricio added.

Since losing to Alistair Overeem, on Strikeforce GP’s semifinal. Werdum is reportedly in talks to return to the UFC, and his coach Rafael Cordeiro told TATAME he’s wants to fight in December, on Strikeforce or the UFC.

http://www.tatame.com/2011/10/25/Werdum-wants-to-return-to-the-UFC-against-Schaub--Im-ready-for-you
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I don't understand why he wants Schaub. Unless he's looking for the easier options.
    mattn1977
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  mattn1977 Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:11 am

With Carwin being out for so long and considering his age, I just see him as a dangerous gatekeeper from now on. He would've killed Werdum though, he's a terrible match up for him.

With regards to Cormier v Barnett, I also think Josh can take him down, he's so much bigger and has a load of tricky take downs up his sleeve. I think he'll win via sub, Cormiers wrestling credentials are great but this is MMA.

Speaking of Carwin, wasn't he implicated in the BALCO scandal? I guess it was before he was in the UFC so they turned a blind eye.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:52 am