THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Mryzyz
Anfields5thKing
Sheldan
the_king
mikeyboybisping
rudeboyben84
10 posters

Severn closes in on his 100th win

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Severn closes in on his 100th win Empty Severn closes in on his 100th win

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Ryan "The Vanilla Gorilla" Fortin 4-3-0 (2KO/2Sub) 260+ Lbs on the 29th of this month

and then Nate Woodger 3-1 (1KO/1Sub) Severn closes in on his 100th win Nate_Woodger_v_Ryan_Verrett_20.thumb (on the left) who normally fights at 185 on the 20th May in Worcester, Massachusetts... I would kill to be there if Severn won his 100th fight.

Heres his last fight,
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Severn closes in on his 100th win Empty Re: Severn closes in on his 100th win

Post  mikeyboybisping Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Old man.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 pm

mikeyboybisping wrote:Old man.

he might be old but he helped mma become what it is today.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 pm

Severn picked up his 99th win and his 10th fight in a row. It was a 1st round submission.

Severn is pushing for a fight with Gracie at UFC Rio. I think UFC should honor him with a fight, if he can get licenced to fight again it would be a cool thing for UFC billing 2 HOFers against each other in a rematch from way back in '94!

Gracie is looking a last win in his home counrty and Severn would probabally be happy to bow out on a decent paycheck and a 100th win.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 am

I think UFC will want to give him someone closer to his own weight, I think they'll feel that booking a match between someone weighin around 175 pounds and someone weighin around 250 will be a step backwards and will give them bad press which will tarnise all the work they're doing to try and MMA legalized in places like New York.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 am

They should make Gracie-Severn a grappling exhibition rather than a fight.

Ben, he wouldn't need a license to fight in Brazil. No athletic commission to worry about.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:55 pm

He would be a good fit for Herschel Walkers' next opponent in Strikeforce.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Completely agree,Severn would be a great opponent for Hershal.

I would hope that the UFC wouldn't put on any open weight fights and I wouldn't want to pay a PPV price to watch Royce in a grappling exhibition.

I'm holding out hope that they can get Sakuraba to be Royce's opponent in Brazil.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Without Royce Gracie there would be no Ultimate Fighting Championship today. That's a bold statement, but one I'm perfectly comfortable with. Let's be frank - without Royce the first UFC would have been little more than a glorified Tough Man contest. Remember Kevin Rosier, belly hanging over his horribly ill fitting and uncomfortably tight white shorts, pounding and stomping poor Zane Frazier until Frazier was bloody and incoherent and Rosier himself was heaving for breath? Remember Ken Shamrock, practically forgetting to remove the needle from his buttocks before getting into a shouting match with Pat Smith after their fight ended for reasons no one could really discern or explain? It was crass and forgettable, pro wrestling without the pomp, boxing with none of the skill and technique that demands you refer to it as a science not a sport.

Into this morass of dojo warriors and third rate Sumo wrestlers walked Royce Gracie, introducing not just his art form but an idea of what fighting can and should be. Weighing 170 pounds in his sparkling white gi, Royce crushed the competition. This was something new, something exciting and different. With the almost forgotten ground stylings of early 20th century Judo wizards, Gracie turned everything we thought we knew about fighting upside down. Bulging muscles? Not so important. Long hair? Probably a bad idea. Wearing a single boxing glove? Don't do it.

By the time Royce withdrew from active competition in 1995 he had revolutionized the martial arts. Just saying you were a tough guy wasn't enough any longer. Breaking boards was something better accomplished with a saw. Gracie showed that no one could succeed in a real struggle without some idea of how to defend themselves on the ground. It's an important legacy, one that has made him and his family very wealthy.

That was more than enough. Gracie is a name that will now never be forgotten, a name that will be passed on for generations alongside Kano, Bruce Lee, and Mas Oyama. Comebacks followed, a memorable run in Pride and a return to the Octagon that made Matt Hughes a star. Gracie's story is unique - even in losing he was really winning. To beat him Hughes, a collegiate wrestler, used jiu jitsu techniques. Gracie has put his stamp on every fight in the Octagon from now into the foreseeable future.

Royce Gracie is a legend. One of the sport's all-time greats. But Royce Gracie only belongs in the cage if he's going to smile for the cameras and wave to the adoring crowd in Rio de Janeiro. At 44, Royce is so far past his prime he can't even spot it in his rear view mirror. Royce already had his Willie Mays moment, walking to the cage with his oddly stilted gait and getting demolished by Matt Hughes at UFC 60. Gracie looked like a man facing a firing squad that night - and that was five years ago. Today, even Hughes, the young gun in that 2006 bout, is washed up and barely hanging on. I can't even imagine what a 2011 Royce Gracie would look like in the Octagon. It would be ugly and be ugly fast.

The truth is, fighting is a young man's game. Reflexes, endurance, joints, your brain's ability to take a licking and spring back into semi-coherence - these things all fade with age. And, although old school fans don't want to hear it and I want to write it even less, even in his prime Gracie couldn't compete with today's fighter. Even the rawest fighter on The Ultimate Fighter would beat Royce Gracie senseless. To find an appropriate opponent, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva would have to scour nursing homes and karate dojos for other elderly martial arts masters. Fred Ettish? Art Jimmerson? Is the world really demanding this kind of farce?

Leave the past in the past. If the UFC wants to honor Royce and his family in Brazil, I'm all for it. No one is more deserving. But honor them with a ceremony, not with a fight. The Octagon is no place for an old timer's league.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 am

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:29 am

Severn lost last night.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:06 pm

payneNglory1 wrote: I wouldn't want to pay a PPV price to watch Royce in a grappling exhibition.

Yet you will happily pay to watch things on a time delay from Australia and Dubai?? As well as watching some of the horrendous fights they put on main cards???
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:33 pm

How meanie can't find owt on the net
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 pm

He lost 3rd round by stoppage, he was getting lit up on the feet every single round, and only survived by scrambling for takedowns.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote: I wouldn't want to pay a PPV price to watch Royce in a grappling exhibition.

Yet you will happily pay to watch things on a time delay from Australia and Dubai?? As well as watching some of the horrendous fights they put on main cards???

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Would you pay a PPV price to watch Liverpool play there reserve side in a friendly match,how about $50 to watch the Klitschko's spar?
    What about Tiger woods vs Lee Westwood,9 holes of pitch and putt or even better,18 holes of crazy golf.

I pay PPV prices to watch what I love,real MMA fights,where fighters put there all into trying to win.
    Why would it matter if it's on tape delay,if I don't know the results?
    I pay for the whole card,not just certain fights and I can't think of a UFC card,in all my time watching them,that I haven't atleast enjoyed a few of the fights on the card.
    I wouldn't consistantly keep buying them,if I didn't love the product I was getting would I,also it's impossible to know if a fight is going to be horrendous,untill you've actually watched the the thing,your not claiming pyschic powers now are you?(I'd of thought your prediction league standing would of been higher Razz )

Don't get me wrong,there have been some horrendous fights,but some of them have even come in fights I was looking forward too,and I've seen some absolutely great fights between two guys,that before hand,I wasn't expecting too much from.

The beauty of MMA is the unpredictability of the sport.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:50 pm

When Michael Bisping fights Jorge Rivera in a co-main event you know it's going to be a shit fight. Simple as that.

If they extended the Rio PPV by 15 minutes to showcase Royce vs Severn in a grappling match I think it would be the perfect tribute to two of the men that helped make the UFC in the early days.

And yes, I suck at predictions! haha!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah I agree,it would be a great tribute to two Legends that have done so much for the sport.

If they added 15 minutes to the PPV,then that would be great but I wouldn't personally want to see it,if it was at the expense of losing a competitive match up from the card.

If they did an Expo in Brazil,I think it would be a great for them to do that exhibition match for the Brazilian fans,they could also air it on UFC.com for the rest of us to see.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 pm

actually that's an even better idea. Build the expo around it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:59 pm