THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
ChelseaQuinsfan
the_king
Mryzyz
poz
Jud_Danger
Sly Uses
JStans1985
paul815
redmeanie77
Sheldan
efils_god
superman_punch
Cowboys From Hell
Albion_Oakley
WAR FEDOR
19 posters

Bones Vs Shogun

Poll

Who will win

[ 9 ]
    Bones Vs Shogun I_vote_lcap39%Bones Vs Shogun I_vote_rcap [39%] 
    [ 14 ]
    Bones Vs Shogun I_vote_lcap61%Bones Vs Shogun I_vote_rcap [61%] 

Total Votes: 23
    WAR FEDOR
    WAR FEDOR
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Bones Vs Shogun Empty Bones Vs Shogun

Post  WAR FEDOR Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am

Whats everyones take on this fight? Personally I beleive everyone is being quite disrespectfull of shogun, well the bookies are anyway, hes the Champ and the list of top tier fighters he has beat is pretty long. Baffles me how Bones is the strong favorite at 4/7 while shogun is 13/8. I know Bones looks the part but i beleive Shogun should still be favorite for this fight
    WAR FEDOR
    WAR FEDOR
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Bones Vs Shogun Empty Re: Bones Vs Shogun

Post  WAR FEDOR Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 am

mmmm for some reason I cant not see the names of Jones and Shogun in the poll..Is that cause i created the poll and can not see it or have a fucked something up...More likely to be the 'fucked something up''
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 pm

you havn't done anything wrong pal, for some reason polls show up as black writing on a black background, if you highlight the area you can see the text.

I voted SHogun Very Happy
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Shogun for me I find it amazing how Jones is the betting favorite (I appreciate it though as I'm gonna clean up with the odds on offer Cool) considering the way Shogun disposed Machida in their rematch and who Shogun is, Shogun is no Vera, Vlad or Bader.

I'm going with Shogun TKO 2nd or 3rd I see Shogun frustrating Jones through out the fight and getting desperate throwing something flashy and getting caught.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I went with jones vote, I'm the only one so far. I'l be picking jones on the predictions but betting all my virtual dollars on mmaplayground on shogun cos it is ridiculous how the bookies have made this fight.

I think jones will throw him down and over power shogun in the first or second.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm torn on this one, on one hand i see Jones taking Shogun down and elbowing him into oblivion, but on the other i see Shogun dominating the stand-up....

I'll be picking Jones TKO 2 i think.....
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm going for Jones decision, I think he'll use his wrestling well and control the pace of the fight, but it will be a close decision because I think we'll see Shogun use the same sort of game plan he used with Machida and nail Jones with tons of leg kicks, it could go either way though. This is the first main event in a long time that I genuinly have no clue who is going to win.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Bones has taken down opponents with far far better wrestling than Shogun with complete ease, and if Bones wanted no part of standing and trading with the likes of Vera, Matyushenko, Bader etc.... what makes people think that all of a sudden he'll decide to strike with Shogun??

This is a battle of Bones's top game against the guard and bottom game of Shogun, even if Shogun does manage to get to his feet a few times, he's just going to get taken down again.

Only way Shogun's stand up becomes a factor in this fight, is if Bones slows down and tires as the fight moves on (ala Bonnar fight), and provided that Shogun doesnt himself gas and survives early onslaught.

WAR FEDOR
    WAR FEDOR
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  WAR FEDOR Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Albion_Oakley wrote:you havn't done anything wrong pal, for some reason polls show up as black writing on a black background, if you highlight the area you can see the text.

I voted SHogun Very Happy

cheers chum
    paul815
    paul815
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  paul815 Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 pm

im going with bones jones, think he will out wrestle shogun and control the fight. jones tko round 2 for me.
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm going for Jones, will be a good close fight but I see him getting the better. I think it's his time
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:25 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Bones has taken down opponents with far far better wrestling than Shogun with complete ease, and if Bones wanted no part of standing and trading with the likes of Vera, Matyushenko, Bader etc.... what makes people think that all of a sudden he'll decide to strike with Shogun??

This is a battle of Bones's top game against the guard and bottom game of Shogun, even if Shogun does manage to get to his feet a few times, he's just going to get taken down again.

Only way Shogun's stand up becomes a factor in this fight, is if Bones slows down and tires as the fight moves on (ala Bonnar fight), and provided that Shogun doesnt himself gas and survives early onslaught.
    I somewhat agree with this assessment but Shogun landed that omoplata sweep vs. Arona who has a great top game and made his striking count in that fight. Every fight is different though.

I slightly favour Shogun via leg kicks and then KO, but wouldnt be surprised if he got TKOd on the ground
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Jud_Danger Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:47 pm

I think it depends which Shogun turns up...in fact, thats exactly what the outcome of this fight depends on!

If a Pride (or Machida II) Shogun turns up...Bones could have a long night (or a very short 1!!!)

If a UFC76 Shogun turns up, then his night could be a very long 1 (or very short 1!!!)

Bones is a real talent, no doubt...he's raw, aggressive, daring and innovative...but Shogun is Shogun!

I dont know if any1 else saw, or noticed when Shogun was in ring after Bones beat Bader, but he just didnt look very happy about the whole thing?

Very proffesional in saying hes a fighter who will fight any1, but he didnt look very confident?

I'll go Shogun by 4th Round TKO
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm going with Shogun, seems like the UFC are rushing Bones a little (not as badly as with Lesnar, but still). He could hardly say no, and much as I like him, I think Shogun will knock him out.
    That said, should be a great fight and if Bones ends up on top dropping elbows or some flash shit standing I won't mind a bit.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:54 pm

poz wrote:I'm going with Shogun, seems like the UFC are rushing Bones a little (not as badly as with Lesnar, but still). He could hardly say no, and much as I like him, I think Shogun will knock him out.
    That said, should be a great fight and if Bones ends up on top dropping elbows or some flash shit standing I won't mind a bit.

They didn't intend to rush him in this fast, they offered Rampage the title shot before Jones but he said he was 250 pounds and would have to spend the whole training camp on losing the weight and not have time to properly train.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

I don't see how Shogun is anything other than the overwhelming favourite for this.

I mean what's Jones going to do? Outstrike him? Outgrapple him?

If Jones does somehow win it'll be in the first 2 rounds and entirely due to a size advantage. But I can't picture it.

Shogun -300 at least.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:45 pm

i voted jones to win, im predicting a tko victory.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:49 pm

I don't see how Shogun is anything other than the overwhelming favourite for this.

If Jones does somehow win it'll be in the first 2 rounds and entirely due to a size advantage. But I can't picture it.

Shogun -300 at least.

I think that's really underestimating Jones there. Jones certainly won't out strike Shogun, his striking is sloppy and at times unnecessarily flashy. But his grappling is very impressive, and I think he has a good chance at out grappling Shogun. Shogun's BJJ is undoubtedly very good but I think Jones is the better all round grappling. Jones has solid BJJ skills as well as top wrestling and judo skills as well. He's in the top 5 for takedowns in MMA as a whole. And he's a lot stronger than Shogun as well.

Don't think size will play that big a part, Jones is more long than big, and Shogun has faced bigger guys than Jones in the past. I think Jones will probably have the better cardio, yes he gassed against Bonnar, but it was his second ever fight in the UFC at the age of 21/22. Training at Jackson's will have helped his cardio immensely. Shogun has gassed badly in the past, especially after long layoffs.

Can Shogun actually stuff the take downs of Jones? I don't think so, out of most of Jones opponents so far, Shogun is among the weakest in terms of take down defense. Can't see him stopping what the likes of Bader, Hammill, the Janitor, Bonnar and Vera couldn't. It's not like he had trouble taking those guys down either. And when it hits the ground, Jones is very strong and can easily stop Shogun from escaping. With Jones it just takes a couple of elbows to stop the fight, and Shogun has been submitted by a lesser grappler in the past.

It's not that hard to imagine Jones winning this, especially after Shogun's injuries and because he is coming off a long layoff. -300 for Shogun is quite simply ridiculous.
    ryu_ekbjj
    ryu_ekbjj
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  ryu_ekbjj Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Its got to be Shogun for me.

More damage standing up and has the smarts and experience to not take too much damage on the ground. My only worry is his gas tank after the long lay off.

Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Mryzyz wrote:I don't see how Shogun is anything other than the overwhelming favourite for this.

Shogun -300 at least.
    Shogun's coming off a layoff though and we all thought he'd beat Forrest easily too. I prefer Shogun in this fight (by violent ko! yay!) but he'll be fighting with ring rust whereas JJ has a lot of momentum going with him into the fight
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

I don't know why people use the basis that "Shogun has no wrestling" as a reason why Jones will win.

If Jones' fights so far in the UFC (O'Brien, Hamill, Matyushenko, Bader) have shown anything, its that being a one dimensional wrestler is NOT the way to beat him. He is too athletic to be outwrestled, early in the fight at least.
    Shogun is a good offensive wrestler, but thats not really relevant, the fact is that he is not afraid to be on his back. He is very aggressive grappler and at least a couple of levels of BJJ above anyone Jones has faced.

..thats talking about Jones game, the grappling.

If talking about striking there is only one winner. Jon Jones aka chicken-legs is very very slow, and has really rudimentary boxing elements in his striking, and very little defence (BAD news against this opponent). the only thing he has going for him is unpredictability....not much of a big deal compared to the factors of speed, power, experience and technique ...which shogun has an advantage of in every area of striking.

Shogun gets a TKO, maybe early with punches, maybe late on after punishing Jones legs.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm not sure who said Shogun has no wrestling. There's a difference between having no wrestling, and no take down defense. Shogun actually has good take downs, but his take down defense is as bad as Jones striking. Machida took him down very easily several times and he has nowhere near the take down ability of Jones. Also while Shogun has brilliant BJJ and is world class off his back, he's going to struggle against Jones who will be a bit bigger and much stronger. When you face someone who has great grappling ability and is big and strong, it becomes very hard to defend against. Just look at Fedor vs Big Foot. Fedor's been on his back lots of times before, but he was always able to escape/survive. But he had never faced anyone as big and at the same time skillful as Big Foot (on the ground). I don't think Shogun has, the only one that springs to mind is Griffin and we saw what happened there.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:03 am

No one has said, Shogun has no wrestling (atleast i didnt say so anyway), i said that Bones has absoulely manhandled bigger opponents than Shogun, who have much better wrestling than Shogun.

Who has ever taken Bader down, or flung Hamill down on the mat with great force?

Bones taking down Shogun is more than just a distinct possibilty, it is practically a certainty!! Shogun needs to use every drop of his BJJ arsenal to be able to handle a much bigger stronger phenominal wrestler in Jones, while Shogun is on his back.

I cant wait. bounce
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:13 am

basically what i meant is....how good of a defensive wrestler Shogun is isnt important. because you can be great but still get taken down at will againsts Jones.
    the difference is how they fight from their back.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 am

I think we can probably expect Shogun to show better takedown defense in this fight than he has in the past, he has known for a year that he was going to be facing Rashad, so i'm sure he would have worked hard on it. The question is will the unique style of Jones pose a completely different take down style to what Rashad would have possessed. Only time will tell.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:01 pm