THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
Once Mohawked Pete
The_Axe_Emperor
redmeanie77
ChelseaQuinsfan
9 posters

MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva

Poll

Who has the better legacy?

[ 3 ]
    MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  I_vote_lcap33%MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 6 ]
    MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  I_vote_lcap67%MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  I_vote_rcap [67%] 

Total Votes: 9
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  Empty MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:25 pm

By popular request, I've decided to set up one of the greatest MW/LHW fighters of all time against today's best MW in the world. The Legend takes on The Spider in a battle of past vs present.

Frank Shamrock

Record: 23-10-2

Accomplishments: 1st ever UFC LHW champion (4 defenses), 1st Interim King of Pancrase Champion, 1st WEC Light Heavyweight Champion, 1st Strikeforce Middleweight Champion.

Notable wins: Bas Rutten, Funaki, Horn, Ortiz, Ceasar Gracie, Kevin Jackson, Inoue.

Anderson Silva

Record: 27-4

Accomplishments: Shooto Middleweight Champion,

Current UFC Middleweight Champion: Most successful title defenses (Seven)
    Most consecutive wins in the UFC (Twelve)
    Longest UFC title reign

Pride FC Welterweight Champion, Cage Rage LHW champion

Notable wins: Mach Sakurai, Carlos Newton, Horn, Murray, Leben, Franklin x2, Maurquardt, Henderson, Cote, Leities, Griffin, Maia, Sonnen.

I'm sure people have different opinions as to who is a "notable win" so I tried to put down the more successful one's. If you think some don't deserve to be on, or if I've left someone out, feel free to point that out.

Now vote away.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  Empty Re: MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Anderson never won the welterweight championship in pride.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva  Empty Re: MMA legacy: Frank Shamrock vs Anderson Silva

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Silva for me, he holds so many records that i think in a few years time when hes retired he'll be missed much more than Frank.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 pm

When he beat Hendo he took the Pride Welterweight belt off him and unified the belts.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm with Axe on this one. Although I also think that Silva deserves the title of 'most frustrating fighter in the entire history of MMA'.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:01 pm

4-0 Silva already, I have to try and make these things closer!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Its close for me, but i reckon Anderson will be remembered more favourably when he retires. Frank is still a legend though, and for sure Hof worthy.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 pm

I reckon we should do Crocop-Randy next. Twisted Evil That will liven things up around here.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Frank in his prime would have taken Silva down and subbed him. The under-rating of Frank Shamrock that goes on here is amazing. People seem to think that the Frank they saw against Cung Le, Nick Diaz and the like is THE Frank Shamrock. No. The Frank that was by far the best fighter in the world when he choose to retire is THE Frank Shamrock. And that Frank would have beaten Anderson.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Frank in the day was a true great without a doubt,but it's not as if he didn't lose his fair share of match ups during that time,and taking near enough 6 years out of the sport in his prime doesn't help his legacy either.

Especially when you compare him to Anderson and what he has achieved in the sport,plus Anderson's still going strong,and can still add and improve on his already great legacy in the sport.

I also think the sport has moved on along way from when frank was the man of his time,so I'd definitely choose a prime Anderson to beat a prime Shamrock in a match up.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 pm

strange one for me because i dont like anderson silva but if im being honest id say silva has a better legacy.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Anfield, remember it doesn't matter if Shamrock would have subbed Silva in 30 seconds. Doesn't show who has a better legacy.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:29 pm

At the moment, I think Shamrock has the better legacy as he was someone who shaped MMA and was one of the first fighters to be well versed in all aspects of the MMA game but in 10-15 years people will most likely be remembering Anderson Silva as one of the greatest ever.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:47 am

Sorry Chelski, i completely forgot it wasn't a who-would-win choice. that actually makes the Silva picks a complete joke!

Frank's family helped build the sport, Frank revolutionized the training in the sport and was one of the first MMA fighters to bring it in the mainstream! He's also been a constant advocater for the sport over the last 15 years. He helped build the number 2 organization in the world and he's got MMA Academies springing up all over.

Anderson has done nothing to match that. How anyone can claim Silva's legacy even comes close to that is beyond me. Frank's legacy on the sport trumps pretty much anyone.

In terms of legacy, Frank wins this by miles and miles.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 am

Ye I'm actually quite surprised this has been a blow out. I was expecting a lot more votes for Shamrock. The thing is Silva isn't finished yet, and I think still he has a bit to prove. Also it'll take a few years before were talking about Silva the same manner were talking about Shammy.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 am

Silva CAN'T build a legacy like Shamrock. He's can't help build the sport from the ground up. He can't become a pioneer in the sport. He's very unlikely to change training methods and be years ahead of his time in his training. And I really don't see him helping to build a company the way Frank's helped build Strikeforce.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:29 am

Shamrock obviously

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:56 pm