THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
The_Axe_Emperor
Sly Uses
9 posters

Bellator 33

Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Bellator 33 Empty Bellator 33

Post  Sly Uses Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Just Id share my thoughts:

Eddie Alvarez looked like the best 155lber on the planet, in my eyes at least. I know he doesnt have the accomplishments of some of the other top guys, but Id favour him over anyone in the division at the moment - even Aoki II.

Ben Askren was a little boring, though the first round was great, and I wasnt completely shocked that he got stood up from mount. Still, he's definitely someone with a big future at 170. Lyman Good did better than I had expected.

Rick Hawn's judo throw + gnp finish was just beautiful

Bellator are my favourite current MMA promotion, and though this season's not been as good as the last, this card and hopefully their next should make up for it.

What did you guys make of the card?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bellator 33 Empty Re: Bellator 33

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Huerta was just outclassed, I agree that on this form Alvarez is as good as any 155er out there.

4-1 in his last five, is that Huerta retiring now?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:38 pm

I dont think so, though his comments before the fight were a bit worrying. He's one of my favourites so I hope not. I thought he beat Curran, and the guys he lost to have all been top class fighters. I think with the right opponents he could probably slide back into a lot of people's top 10s, and I think he still has time to improve.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Yeah he said this fight would be make or break for him and he was dominated. You're right though he has fought some TOP fighters. Maybe a step down in competition will do him good in the long run, after all he is only 27 still.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm loving Bellator aswell,love the format and the standard of fighters they've been putting up,have been overall,a pretty good standard also.

Alverez looked really good last night and has only made my urge to see him fight Melendez all the stronger.

I hope Huerta sticks it out,as he is a really good fighter and I enjoy watching him fight.

I expected Askren to win,which he did comfortably but he is still so raw and needs alot of work on his overall game,his wrestling is top notch and I'm sure that is going to see him fly up the rankings in no time,but if he can work and improve on the rest of his game,I don't think it will be to long before he's fighting the top guys in Strikeforce or the UFC.

(I was abit surprised the ref made them stand up,since I can't remember ever seeing a fighter stood up from full mount before)

Hawns Judo throw and finish was a thing of beauty,I thought the ref stopped it abit early at first but on a second look,I think it was a justified stoppage.

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I'm loving Bellator aswell,love the format and the standard of fighters they've been putting up,have been overall,a pretty good standard also.

i agree bellator have great matchups they just needs to tie a few fighters down exclusive to themselves and they have a good org.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Alvarez: Strikeforce’s Coker Trying to ‘Protect’ Melendez

Eddie Alvarez had a hotel room, but he decided to go home Wednesday and sleep in his own bed.

He woke Thursday morning and had a cup of coffee with his wife. Come afternoon he met with his coaches at the Fight Factory and watched footage of Roger Huerta. Come night he went down to the Liacouras Center and battered Huerta until the doctor stopped their entertaining lightweight bout after the second round.

“Now I’m gonna go home. It’s perfect,” Alvarez said of headlining Bellator 33 in his hometown of Philadelphia.

Huerta was gutsy, as always. He scored a flash knockdown in the first round, a slam in the second. Mostly, though, he absorbed punishment. Alvarez landed with his hands regularly, swelling Huerta’s left eye, but his kicks might have done the most damage.

“Every single thing worked tonight. Every single thing,” said Alvarez, Bellator’s lightweight champion. “It was sort of like [my coaches] plugged the remote control into the back of me, told me what to do and played with a paddle just like a video game.”

The uppercuts Huerta ate were ordered earlier that day when Alvarez studied footage with his coaches. Muay Thai trainer Ricky Lee pointed out that Huerta was open to the strikes. Alvarez used them relentlessly on the inside when he wasn’t crippling Huerta with kicks on the outside.

“He fought a hugely motivated Roger Huerta tonight, a guy who had everything to lose in this fight and everything to gain at the exact same time,” said Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney. “And [Alvarez] literally dominated from start to finish.”

At the postfight news conference both Rebney and Alvarez turned to pushing for a co-promotional bout against Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Sherdog.com earlier this month he was interested in making the match, but he cited various obstacles, most notably television.

Strikeforce has a deal with Showtime. Bellator has deals with Fox Sports Net and NBC. Coker called television a “big issue,” but Rebney dismissed it Thursday.

“There aren’t promotional issues,” Rebney said. “There aren’t any barriers to entry. There aren’t any hurdles.”

In fact, Rebney said the fight could take place on Strikeforce’s network and on the San Jose-based promotion’s home turf.

“What television network is it going to be on? We’ll do it on Showtime,” Rebney said. “Where will the fight happen? Well, let’s do it in San Jose. The answers to the questions are very simple.”

Rebney was careful to express his respect for Coker and Strikeforce, but he also blamed the promoter for preventing an Alvarez-Melendez matchup.

“There’s no reason that fight shouldn’t happen but for the fact that the promoter of Gilbert Melendez doesn’t want it to occur,” Rebney said.

“Scott Coker doesn’t want it to happen,” Alvarez echoed. “He’s trying to obviously protect his champion. I guess he has every right to. He has a business to run, so whatever.”

Coker has referenced other factors impeding the bout. Rebney’s stated willingness to send it to Showtime and San Jose might move the fight a little closer to reality, though. Alvarez would be far from his own bed and his Philly brethren, but he says a matchup in Melendez’s backyard would be worth it.

“I want to be number one in the world, and the only way to do that is to fight people like Gilbert,” Alvarez said. “If we can get our hands on him and the contracts work out, then that’s what we’ll do. But until then, it’s just talk. The paper’s gotta be signed. Let’s make it happen.”

Please postpone the Aoki rematch Coker and make this fight happen instead,this is by far the best LW match up that could be made at the moment(excluding the Zuffa fighters)and the fight that I would think most fans would want to see.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Not to rain on the Alvarez parade, because he is awesome but this is another fight where he got dropped. He recovers brilliantly, but it's hard to ignore the fact he's pretty hittable and clearly doesn't have an ironclad chin. He got rocked by Hansen standing, dropped twice by Kawajiri, dropped by Loughran and now by Huerta. I'm impressed by his increasing skill set but it would not shock me if he was KO'd or TKO'd in the near future. I favour Melendez over him based on durability and Melendez's equally good wrestling and better scrambling. I think a Kawajiri re-match and a JZ fight would be 50-50.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:54 pm

IPPON cheers

i never seen the seoinage throw like that in MMA before, where he stays on his feet, great improvisation.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:57 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Please postpone the Aoki rematch Coker and make this fight happen instead,this is by far the best LW match up that could be made at the moment(excluding the Zuffa fighters)and the fight that I would think most fans would want to see.

I want to see the Aoki rematch first.

I think if Aoki uses the "cobra" tactic, he will beat Melendez as easily as he beat Alvarez. rabbit

Bellator 33 25zkles

Bellator 33 30042ki
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:

Was ok, nothing close to "world class Judo" though. The guy was pretty much climbing his back, all he did was lean forward and the guy flipped over. I've seen better from pissheads down near the seafront on a saturday night in Hove.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:45 am