THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Once Mohawked Pete
Shanemc
Moose Stuff For Money...
7 posters

Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title?

Poll

Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title?

[ 4 ]
    Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? I_vote_lcap44%Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? I_vote_rcap [44%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? I_vote_lcap33%Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? I_vote_lcap22%Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? I_vote_rcap [22%] 

Total Votes: 9
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? Empty Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title?

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:05 am

A quick poll just to gage folks thoughts...

Personally, I'd back Aldo to beat Edgar. However, I think Maynard will beat Edgar and would then use the size advantage to grind out a win against Aldo.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? Empty Re: Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title?

Post  Shanemc Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm

i would pick aldo over both you mentioned think he dominates on the feet and use his good ground game to maybe pull off a sub or scramble back to his feet
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title? Empty Re: Could Jose Aldo win the UFC lightweight title?

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I would go with Aldo against both, although feel that Maynards would pose more problems for him than Edgar.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:40 pm

I think Aldo's the dogs bollox and is without a doubt,by a distance the best FW in the world,but I think it's to early to say how he would do against the top end 155ers,we need to see him against better opposition first,before he can be compared to the very best fighters in the LW division.

His wins against Faber,MTB and Manny are good,but none of them would do anything at 155,they wouldn't even make gatekeeper status in the UFC LW division IMO.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 pm

i think maynard will out wrestle edgar, and although i like aldo i think maynard will be too big and too strong for him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Agree, Maynard is too big and strong for Aldo to keep it standing all 5 rounds.

Aldo would beat Edgar everytime IMO.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:52 pm

I'd love to see Aldo fight at light weight especially as he is still so young so he could afford to try and pack muscle on to his already lanky frame.

I won't mention how he'd fair at Champion level yet until we see him fight against some of the more solid light weights. You've always got to bear in mind freaks like Gleison Tibau who cut huge amounts of weight to make light weight. Would they dwarf Aldo for 15 minutes? Would Aldo be able to pressure them by pushing the pace and using his cardio to wear them out? Equally, as shown against Urijah Faber, would he be able to stop the better wrestlers in the division by using his leg kicks to reduce their take down ability?

I'm not entirely convinced that he's yet to "clear out" his division (as I think this only really happens when organisations start pushing guys with no hope in against the champion, as has been the state of the middle weight division up until Chael Sonnen fought Anderson Silva) but I think he's well on his way.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Dana White says Aldo could be in the UFC shortly...

WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may agree with observers who think he's running out of credible threats.

During a Q&A session with UFC Fight Club members at the Earls Court Exhibition Centre in London, UFC president Dana White said Aldo has expressed interest in moving up to the lightweight division.

"From what I'm hearing, Aldo's interested in testing himself," White said.

The UFC president did not present a timeline for a possible move other than to say it could happen "very soon."

Aldo, who trains out of Nova Uniao and is affiliated with unofficial fight team Blackhouse, decimated the most recent challenger to his WEC crown when he took out former UFC lightweight and "The Ultimate Fighter 5" runner-up Manny Gamburyan by second-round TKO at WEC 51. It was his eighth consecutive victory in the promotion.

Observers have pointed to standouts Mark Hominick (19-8 MMA, 3-2 WEC) and Josh Grispi (14-1 MMA, 4-0 WEC) as potentials for the next featherweight contendership, though the Brazilian champion's next booking is currently unclear.

Following his bout with Gamburyan, Aldo (18-1 MMA, 8-0 WEC) downplayed the possibility of an immediate move.

"The same way that Manny earned his title shot, there's a lot of guys that are going to come up and earn their title shots," Aldo told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) through interpreter Derek Lee.

But change appears to be in the air. In addition to his comments about Aldo, White said the UFC could borrow some of its sister promotion's top-tier lightweight talent. (The weight class remains the only one used by both the UFC and WEC.) Asked about the possibility of seeing WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson in the UFC octagon, the executive said it is in the works.

"There's some interesting fights with those guys (in the WEC), so we're working on putting those together," White said. "We're working on a lot of things right now that we'll be announcing in the next couple of months."

WEC officials so far have been mum on the possibility of loaning out talent to the UFC, and WEC president Reed Harris has shrugged off rumors of an impending merger between the promotions.

But for Aldo, the desire to face top competition is clearly making some noise in the Zuffa offices.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/21035/ufc-boss-wec-champ-jose-aldo-wants-to-test-himself-at-lightweight.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:45 pm

does aldo cut weight or will he be moving up to 155. i think either way maynard/edgar and co will be alot bigger than him. and will he be moved right into the title mix?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:33 am