THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
sunthunder
rudeboyben84
Paddyjock
efils_god
the_king
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
11 posters

Efrain Escudero Released

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Efrain Escudero Released Empty Efrain Escudero Released

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 am

After UFC release, "TUF 8" winner Efrain Escudero talking to Strikeforce, Bellator
    by Steven Marrocco on Sep 20, 2010 at 8:50 pm ET

Ultimate Fighting Championship officials have released "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero following a third-round submission loss to Charles Oliveira.

The Tempe, Ariz.-based lightweight announced the bad news Monday afternoon via his Twitter account and subsequently confirmed it to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Escudero (13-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) said the split was amicable, and he has already begun dialogue with other prominent MMA promotions.

"I'm going to take a week off, so I'm not rushing into anything," he said. "Then, after that, I'm going to decide where I'm going to go."

The fighter named Strikeforce and Bellator Fighting Championships among those who are interested in his services.

Escudero met Oliviera (14-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) this past week at UFC Fight Night 22 and held his own for much of the fight until the energetic up-and-comer hopped on his back and secured a rear-naked choke. It was his second loss inside the octagon.

Oliviera, meanwhile, won "Submission of the Night" honors.

The fight did not come without complications. Escudero came in at 159 pounds for the bout and was fined 20 percent of his "show" purse by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversaw the event at Austin, Texas' Frank Erwin Center.

Oliveira was the third proposed opponent for Escudero, who was originally slated to meet John Gunderson on the Sept. 15 event's preliminary card. He then was rebooked to meet Matt Wiman before injuries to Wiman and Mac Danzig shuffled the lineup.

Escudero earned his "TUF 8" crown with a win over Phillipe Nover and appeared to be well on his way up the ladder with a subsequent knockout win over Cole Miller. But fellow up-and-comer Evan Dunham stopped his rise with a submission victory at UFC Fight Night 20, and he started from square one with a decision victory over Dan Lauzon at UFC 114.

When asked if the UFC expressed interest in having him back after he picked up wins in other promotions, Escudero responded, "kind of like that."

I'm surprised. He's lost to two of the biggest talents at 155 and he's looked good in most of his fights. He's the first real TUF winner to be released(Travis Lutter won season 4 but those were already UFC fighters/ex-fighters). Considering the UFC still have such shit as Mac Danzig and James Wilks on the roster, it amazes me that Efrain is the first one cut. Poor move by the UFC.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Efrain Escudero Released Empty Re: Efrain Escudero Released

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:07 am

Bellator pay hispanic fighters well Smile

they can put him in the next lightweight tournament he will be a good addition!!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:51 am

im glad they released him i detest him in every way. but i still wish him every luck in the future
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 am

I suppose it might have had alot to do with his coming in so much over-weight, which doesn't reflect well on an org when fighters do that, in my opinion....
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 am

I am on the fence on this one. I think Efrain is a good fighter and a developing talent. Probably a bit hasty in that respect for the UFC to cut him. However on top of the 2 losses he has come in overweight in his last 2 fights. As a professional that isnt good enough. I would imagine that has a lot to do with why he has been cut coupled with the losses.

Its not the end of him I would imagine though, there are some good fights outside the UFC for him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 am

Yeah the weight for sure but also performance last fight, He only wanted to hug against the cage and not a lot else, he didnt really look like he was going out there to put on a show or even win... I think he spoiled a fight against a seriously entertaining guy.

Im sure as a TUF winner he wont be stuck for job offers as you say. Bellator especially will love him.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I think Efrain is a talented fighter but he just doesn't seem to be able to fight with any degree of strategy.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Joining Efrain Escudero on the UFC's cut list are Tomasz Drwal and John Gunderson, according to MMA Junkie.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:22 am

Not suprised at all, good fighter but far too cocky and doesn't put in enough effort. Plus, he's young so if he sorts himself out then the UFC will undoubtedly snap him up again.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Now I know this might be the most shocking cut by the UFC to date,so sit back and prepare yourselves

The UFC have cut Rodney Wallace affraid
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 pm

lol. since his loss at 117 i said to my mate bet he gets cut, undefeated until his debut in ufc then went 0-3. it was inevatable.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Of Southampton and Leeds fame??? Laughing
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 pm

more for leeds i think if ur on abour rod lol.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Rod, Danny and what was the third ones name?? He wasn't very good, he played centre back and was Rod's twin.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I can't really understand this when they still have "Pride veteran" MATT FUCKING DANZIG still employed! A guy with a shitty attitude and a shit fighter. 3-4 with his last win coming over a certain future HOFer in the mighty Justin Buchholz, who he still struggled to beat. By far the worst of any TUF winner and has losses to guys who are no longer employed by the UFC, but still far better than him and a journeyman.

Escudero KOed a good fighter in Cole Miller and beat a decent fighter in Lauzon. and lost to two of the biggest prospects in MMA, one of them who might be receiving a title shot after Gray Maynard. I know he missed weight terribly but he isn't the first one and for a first time offender I don't think its fair, especially when there are guys like Johnson who constantly miss weight. And to miss weight by that much he must have had some sort of injury as well.

I do think Escudero was hyped up too quickly, and basically that's down to Nover actually being complete shit when he was meant to be the next GSP/Silva (in the words of Dana) and Junie Browning simply being a nutcase instead of actually being a decent fighter. With that being said I'd still take him over Danzig.

I would really like to know what pictures Danzig has over Dana because any other fighter would have been sacked a long time ago.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:04 am

Mac Danzig is the man GSP aspires to be!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:39 am