THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

10. reasons pac man should join ufc.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

10. reasons pac man should join ufc. Empty 10. reasons pac man should join ufc.

Post  the_king Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Manny Pacquiao might find himself soon as the one man soldier in a fight to keep the UFC specifically and MMA in general from taking all fight fans from boxing.

If Mayweather loses his case and has to serve time in prison, Pacquiao will be the only top line draw left.

How many people even knew that Wladimir Klitschko defended his title against Samuel Peter a few days ago, (he won, by the way)?

So if boxing is a sinking ship (which I hope it isn't), here are some reasons why Manny should jump over to passing cruise ship, SS UFC.

10. leadership

No one knows who really runs boxing. It is the sketchiest of all the sports. There are several different belts, a handful of promoters and rankings that most people have questioned throughout the years.

In the UFC, you have Dana White, and he rules with an iron fist. If the people want to see a fight, White makes that fight. Even if you get a guy like James Toney getting beat down in a matter of seconds.

White would steer Manny in the right direction if he went over to the UFC.

9. curiosity

During a press conference not too long ago, a couple of writers from Boxing.com asked Manny for his thoughts on MMA.

Pacquiao responded that he definitely watches it and if promoter Bob Arum and his adviser Michael Koncz said it was okay, he would consider entering the cage.

I am sure if Mayweather leaves and Pacquiao can't find anyone else to beat up next year, this topic will come up again.

8. wasting his popularity

Pacquiao is so popular right now that he wins political office without even being in his country half the time. People know him all over the world.

And even other athletes make time to come see him fight.

Partnering up with the UFC would help both parties get to another level.

7. nobody left in boxing

I know there are a few worthy opponents out there and up and comers. But if Pacquiao beats Antonio Margarito, like most experts think he will, who can Manny fight that will make people want to buy a pay-per-view package?

I'm sure the man doesn't enjoy getting punched in the face. Who would? Boxing is his profession and if he can't get paid well to do it, why do it at all?

What fight out there will the public pay to see after this November 13th bout?

6. risk vs reward

Unlike Mayweather who is more proud of his undefeated record than of his belts, Manny has lost in the past, so other than the same bodily injury that he risks boxing, there probably isn't more risk.

The reward could be a whole new group of fans.

Obviously he would have to train for probably more than a year, but even the most hardcore MMA fans (who will probably scoff at even the idea of Pacquiao going over to the UFC) would pay to see him fight in the cage.

5. high threshold for pain.

Manny Pacquiao is seen as a warrior because he has inflicted and been subjected to some beatings. That is what the UFC offers.

So if he were able to avoid submission holds, he would probably be much better suited for MMA than James Toney was.

Would he be a champion over there? Probably not. But it would definitely be a challenge for someone who likes to find challenges.

4. the ufc fans.

If Pacquiao were to make a successful transition to UFC he would find some of the most loyal and passionate fans out there.

Does he already have those fans in boxing? Yes, some. But again with the lack of great fights, the boxing fan is a loyal but dying breed.

If Manny went to the UFC his boxing fans would probably go with him.

3. the events

Because of Dana White, UFC makes each one of their fight nights an event. They pack the night with as many great fights as possible so that the undercard is worth watching.

When was the last time you heard anyone talk about watching a night of great boxing fights?

2. a serious move.

Unlike the Toney fight which was a bit farcical, everyone knows the type of fighter is. He isn't past his prime like Toney, he is actually at the peak of the mountain right now.

And no one doubts that Pacquiao would train correctly and start off with a fighter who he matched up well against.

So if Pacquiao made the move it would be a well thought out and serious attempt at making the transition.

And when he was ready to fight it would be the biggest fight in the history of the UFC.

1. mayweather JR.

Whether it's because he needs time off. Or because he is waiting for his uncle and trainer to come back.

Or if it is because of his legal problems. If Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't fight Manny Pacquiao in 2011, Manny is going to have to look for other ways to make money.

Or retire and go full time into politics.

KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

10. reasons pac man should join ufc. Empty Re: 10. reasons pac man should join ufc.

Post  KalDog Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Lol, Pacquiao needs money?!? Are you serious? He could probably buy the UFC with what he's earned in boxing. He doesn't need MMA and MMA doesn't need him
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

10. reasons pac man should join ufc. Empty Re: 10. reasons pac man should join ufc.

Post  the_king Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 pm

yeah i agree i never wrote this mate took it from a website a few days back. it would be interested to see how pac man would get on in a mma bout but like most rumeurs they will never come true.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 pm

2 reasons why Manny should NOT join the UFC.

1 - He's a boxer
    2 - He earns 10million dollars per fight as a boxer.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:21 pm

he would just get taken down and submitted. Neutral

i would much rather see him fight floyd in boxing than any MMA fight...and im a much bigger MMA fan than i am boxing.

the only other fight i am interested in for him is K1 with Masato...who already beat 4 former boxing champs but that was mainly using leg kicks and Pac is trained in MT...also Masato is one of the best boxers ever in MAX so its simply intriguing.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:42 pm

I think you'll agree that "training" in MT and being a K1 standard fighter are two different things, that being said, I would love to see him fight Por Pramuk Buakaw

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:49 am