THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
sunthunder
The_Axe_Emperor
11 posters

P4P Best chins

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

P4P Best chins Empty P4P Best chins

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Top 10 chins in MMA in your opinion?

== ==

Takanori Gomi

BJ Penn

Kazuyuki Fujita

Stephan Bonnar

Frankie Edgar

Patrick Cote

Dan Henderson

Anderson Silva

Fedor Emelianenko

Mark Hunt

Cabbage Correira

Prime Rodrigo Nogueira

Chris Leben

Dan Hardy

Nick and Nate Diaz

Igor Vovchancyn

Heath Herring

Jon Fitch

Rampage Jackson

Aleksander Emelianenko

Michael Bisping ............................ Suspect

Take yer pick!
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

P4P Best chins Empty Re: P4P Best chins

Post  sunthunder Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Including fighters in and out of their primes, I'd say:

1) Hunt
    2) Gomi
    3) Penn
    4) Nogueira
    5) Henderson
    6) Rampage
    7) Herring

I think the differences past that are kind of small, those are the main guys for me. I have reservations putting guys like Fedor and Anderson on there given that they hardly get hit (well, that applied to Anderson before his last fight).

Gomi's chin really doesn't get quite the amount of respect it deserves. He's absorbed a lot of hard shots and hardly blinked.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Dan Henderson by miles and miles and miles.

Cote, Gomi and Penn all have great chins but not in Hendo's league.

Baffling claim of Nog before Hendo. Nog is a tough bastard who could take a beating but his chin has never been all that impressive, dropped a lot of times during his career.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:57 pm

I think Nog has taken the demonstrably harder shots. Fedor's best shots, Cro Cops' lhk, Bob Sapp pile driver and gnp, Sylvia's best punches, slugged it out with Sergei, the Herring headkick. I can't think of any big shots Henderson took on a par with any of those.

I can't think of as many really obvious moments Henderson has taken big punishment. I can only really think of 4 fights that really illustrate Henderson's chin in that kind of manner - the Rampage fight, the two Wanderlei fights and the Anderson fight. He took good combinations in all, but Nogueira's is more tested.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Also Nogueira fights at heavyweight so surely that plays a part?
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 am

Well he could realistically be a light heavyweight given Rogerio fights there. I'm not saying he ought to now, or that he'd be successful at 205, but in terms of body frame, he's 205 sized.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:06 am

sunthunder wrote:Well he could realistically be a light heavyweight given Rogerio fights there. I'm not saying he ought to now, or that he'd be successful at 205, but in terms of body frame, he's 205 sized.

Yeah but i mean, the fighters obviously hit alot harder than they do at LHW.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 am

Lesnar anyone??

I know he hasnt done much, but anyone that can take those punches from Carwin and not slip into unconiousness deserves a mention i reckon.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:10 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:Well he could realistically be a light heavyweight given Rogerio fights there. I'm not saying he ought to now, or that he'd be successful at 205, but in terms of body frame, he's 205 sized.

Yeah but i mean, the fighters obviously hit alot harder than they do at LHW.

Oh yeah, I agree with your point, I just wanted to highlight that Nogueira is this fighter who could have been a light heavy, but he has taken shots from some of the hardest hitters at heavyweight too.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 am

P4P Best chins 375

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 am

Staying conscious and continuing to fight, and having a great chin are different things. Having a great chin means taking bombs and staying upright. Nog has never been known to do that. Hendo has taken big big shots from Anderson Silva, Rampage Jackson, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Gilbert Yvel and Little Nog. That's a murderers row to match any in terms of punching power and career KO's. I can't think of Hendo ever being knocked down off the top of my head.

Nog got sat on his ass in most of his fights, at least once. His powers of recovery are what set him apart, not his chin.

Lesnar's afraid of getting hit, doesn't matter what sort of chin you've got if you're a coward who turns and runs and then flops to the ground.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:24 am

I think its Hendo and Coté. Coté has taken absolutely massive shots before and has barey blinked. Remember that flying knee and head kick he suffered from Silva. He wasn't even rocked. Silva had Hendo in more trouble than he had Coté in from similar shots. With that being said, Hendo obviously has fought bigger hitters and better fighters than Coté so he has that working for him.

BJ and Gomi would come after them I think. Nog does have a good chin and has fought the biggest hitters in the sport, but I always thought it was his durability that made him survive in those fights because he was still dropped.

Suprised Herring's getting vote's, never thought he had one of the better chins in the sport. I mean I never thought it was bad, but just nothing special. I think his durability is quite good though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:45 am

I think Anderson hit Hendo a lot harder, but Cote does have an amazing chin.

Imagine Hendo fought Vitor, Wandi, Rampage and then Anderson one after the other and never got knocked down. Incredible.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:54 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Staying conscious and continuing to fight, and having a great chin are different things. Having a great chin means taking bombs and staying upright. Nog has never been known to do that. Hendo has taken big big shots from Anderson Silva, Rampage Jackson, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Gilbert Yvel and Little Nog. That's a murderers row to match any in terms of punching power and career KO's. I can't think of Hendo ever being knocked down off the top of my head.

Nog got sat on his ass in most of his fights, at least once. His powers of recovery are what set him apart, not his chin.

Lesnar's afraid of getting hit, doesn't matter what sort of chin you've got if you're a coward who turns and runs and then flops to the ground.

Wanderlei dropped him in their first fight. He went down twice against Rampage but I thought those were borderline slips. Kondo wobbled him. I don't recall Vitor ever landing anything significant on him, that fight was a team quest top control special.

Nogueira hardly got knocked down in most of his fights. He was knocked down 3 times in the Fedor fights (I think), once by Cro Cop, the first Barnett fight, the Sylvia fight, the third Herring fight and then his losses to Mir and Velasquez. That's hardly a bad list of guys to be knocked down by. Plus, anyone who eats a Cro Cop high kick flush to the jaw and remains conscious, has a good chin.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 am

its difficult to judge the likes of BJ and Gomi, especially gomi who only fights at lightweight, but i think he has only been dropped once, from a flush high kick and he sprung back up, and taunted the guy to do it again! afro

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:02 am

I just remembered another guy with an incredible chin. Sam Stout. Its always harder to judge the LW chins but Stout has an immense chin, he took some insane shots from Stephens and walked though them.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:16 am

Sun, no they have powers of recovery, not a great chin. CroCop dropped him twice from what i remember but Mirko's attack was mainly aimed at the ribs rather than the head in that fight and there's others as well. Nog has a habit of hitting the deck.

Are you sure Wandi dropped Hendo? I don't remember that, i must watch that fight again. Those were slips against Rampage.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:41 am

I think you're splitting hairs a bit. I can understand a good chin being defined in boxing as someone who doesn't get knocked down, but in MMA the fight continues on the floor. I mean, when Fedor was bouncing Nogueira's head off the mat, does that not count as having a good chin? Or when Hunt was knocked down by Cro Cops highkick, is that not having a good chin even though he went down? I don't think the distinction between recovery and having a good chin is all that great.

I don't think Cro Cop dropped him twice, I'm pretty certain it was only the head kick at the end of the first round. I really can't remember Nog being dropped in any more instances than those I mentioned.

Wanderlei dropped him twice actually, put him on his back once and down on his knees too.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:20 am

I'll watch it tomorrow.

Fight continues in boxing too. Powers of recovery. Getting back to your feet. For example, Vitali Klitschko and David Tua have great chins, Eric Morales has great powers of recovery.

Getting knocked down by a headkick is one thing, it's excusable. Nog has been sat on his arse many many times by punches.

And the Fedor-Nog fights should have been stopped, as should CroCop-Nog and had they taken place in the US they would have been stopped. Just because Nog survived things in Pride doesn't mean he'd have survived them elsewhere. Nog is as durable as they come and possibly the most resiliant fighter of all time, but his chin is nothing more than decent.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 am

How has no one mentioned Fujita in their replies. Prime fujita had an unbelievable chin
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 am

wrandi
    big nog
    henderson
    leben
    lesnar (maybe as he took some heavy shots off of carwin)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Lesnar took one big shot which wasn't even full power and turned and ran.

Wandi always had a strange chin. Some fights it was unbelievable, others it was poor.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 pm

lesnar took a beating on the ground his face was swollen then he came back to win for me thats a good chin.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm

He took a handful of punches to the face, most hit his arms, and punches from the mount are never nearly as powerful as punches when you're standing.

And his chin had nothing to do with him winning. Carwin's gas tank is the reason Lesnar won. Thankfully Cain V has a great tank.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Agreed, i don't think taking punches from the mount/guard can be classed as having a good chin.

Let him take some heavy shots standing and we'll see.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm